2020 Presidential Debate #1 Thread

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by horninchicago, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The British House of Parliament, and even their House of Lords, has been uncivil, and even boorish, far longer than what you're seeing now in our country. In S. Korea they've had fist fights on the floor of their congress. In S. America, they just assassinate the politicians they don't like. We may have been the anomaly for most of recent history. I prefer civil discourse, but it hasn't been the international norm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Watch how that debate will get little coverage the next day.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Are you kidding me? The moderator for the second debate is a never Trumper
    'C-SPAN’s Steve Scully, who is scheduled to moderate the next presidential debate, formerly interned for 2020 presidential candidate Joe Biden.
    Scully in March 2016 tweeted an anti-Trump column titled “No, Not Trump, Not Ever.”

“Donald Trump is epically unprepared to be president,” reads the New York Times opinion piece that Scully tweeted. “He has no realistic policies, no advisers, no capacity to learn.”

“His vast narcissism makes him a closed fortress. He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know and he’s uninterested in finding out. He insults the office Abraham Lincoln once occupied by running for it with less preparation than most of us would undertake to buy a sofa,” the piece continues.'
    Second Debate Moderator Steve Scully Interned For Joe Biden

And he will have the power to cut Trump's mic off?

How can this be allowed?

• WTF? WTF? x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Trump campaign says no changing the rules.

5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Majority of Americans Predict Trump Will Win Reelection
    Regardless of whom they personally support, 56% of Americans expect Trump to prevail over Biden in the November election, while 40% think Biden will win. Although majorities of partisans think their party's candidate will win, Republicans are more likely to believe Trump will win (90%) than Democrats are to think Biden will (73%). Fifty-six percent of independents predict that Trump will win.

Looking back, Gallup has asked Americans for their predictions in the late summer or fall of every presidential election year from 1996 through 2012, and an ABC News/Washington Post poll included a comparable question in 2016. In each of these polls, Americans accurately predicted the winner of the popular vote, though not the winner of the Electoral College. That is, in 2000 and 2016, the public predicted Al Gore and Hillary Clinton, respectively, would win the election. Although both of these Democratic candidates won the popular vote, George W. Bush and Trump, respectively, won the most electoral votes and ultimately became president.

The prediction of a Trump victory is not consistent with the average of recent national presidential vote-preference polls, which show Biden with a significant lead, but it is consistent with Americans' expectation of a victory for the incumbent president in every race in which one has been running. The two most recent elections in which an incumbent lost -- 1980 and 1992 -- occurred before Gallup began asking Americans to handicap the presidential election race.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

The debate committee will try to change as many procedures as possible, causing Trump to consider pulling out of the remaining debates

Won't happen, but the playing field going fwd will be that much more slanted against POTUS.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm not sure that cutting off Trump's mic hurts Trump, even if that's the intent. His biggest weakness in the first debate was his inability to shut up and let Biden say stupid things. I heard on a podcast that a poll was taken of people who only read the transcript, so they only knew what Trump said rather than how and exactly when he said it. Most of those people thought Trump won the debate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

A lot of talk around here (Northeast Ohio) is how Trump turned people away from voting for him. I do know that many people around here have not made up their minds, others are fanatical about who they are going vote for. So knowing all of this I do listen and hear what they are saying. My neighbors have said flat out they now know who they are voting for after watching the "debate". They are very upset at Trump and yes ya'll like to argue his record but some people still vote on the character of the individual. The most interesting people I have heard from are my fellow veterans. Sitting at our local VFW and American Legion and having a beer is quite educational lol. All of their arguments can be broke down to this. Of course most veterans like Trump (as any other Republican) but more and more are saying they can't stand him (most words used are "douchebag" "*******"). But I have a feeling that he will be the one that they vote for. Because within the bitching about him the #1 issue (usually) that we care about is of course Veterans Affairs. I have been retired since 2014 and Trump has done an excellent job turning the VA around. It is quite a different experience now. IMHO if he wants to win over the undecideds he needs to not let his narcissism get in the way until AFTER the election.

9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

One thing about Wallace, I'm usually a defender of his, but he was pretty shabby. Once it was clear that Trump basically didn't care about the rules, it pretty much ensured that he was going to have to be combative in tone with Trump. I don't blame him for that. However, there is no question that substantively, he was much tougher on Trump. The questions he got were tougher. He challenged his answers with greater scrutiny, and he was far less tolerant of non-answers. For example, Trump got skewered on the stupid white supremacy crap. Biden was allowed to be far more ambiguous on the people actually doing significant violence.

Also, I'm absolutely horrified that "I'm not going to answer because I don't want it to be an issue" is becoming an acceptable response on the court-packing question. If court-packing becomes an acceptable thing to do, it will be the biggest disruption to American democracy since at least the Civil War. It's a massively big deal and to give a non-answer to something like that and have it be deemed acceptable to the political media is astounding to no end.

And isn't the whole point of a presidential campaign to tell the public what you're going to do if you win and let that "become the issue?" Seriously, what the hell??

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I agree, but this is a ******** question that he can never satisfactorily answer. If he condemns it, they will not be satisfied with that. They'll say it is half-assed, and they'll just start rattling off organizations and people they deem racist (which is every conservative) until they find someone he won't condemn resoundingly and then say he won't condemn white supremacy. He should answer this better as he should speak better in general, but he can't win on this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

That might be a good thing. Our government is already pretty much a farce. If each President just adds enough judges to give himself an advantage, maybe people will demand a change to revise the system.

12. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

There is nothing Trump can say that will satisfy Leftists that he is not racist or a white supremacist.

Trump could say, "I hate racism. It is the worst thing ever. Down with all white people for their sins of being white" and Leftists would just say he is covering up his racism.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Well, it will end the presumption of legitimacy that the Court has, and I think you'll start seeing open defiance of federal court orders. Keep in mind that the Court has no power on its own. It's power comes from that presumed legitimacy and the willingness of executive officers at the federal and state levels to respect their rulings enough to enforce them. If court packing becomes acceptable, then that's all dead. Maybe that would be a good thing in the end, but we'd see some very ugly moments including likely violence in between.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

In the words of Old Hickory; “John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it.”

• Like Like x 2
  15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The most significant post debate follow up is Trump feeling like he won convincingly. He needs some honest, brave people in his inner circle to tell him that when he thinks he's being clever and witty he's sounding more like the obnoxious drunk guy who gets fired after the company Christmas party. Fortunately, we get our chance to fire that incredibly rude, divisive guy comes up in just one month.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

17. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

I watch CSPAN daily. For hours actually. Steve Scully (just like the other commenters) is very fair. He does not show any bias on Washington Journal.

Scully interned with Biden when he was a kid in college at American Univ. He is in his mid 50's now. The internship was for credit. We all make mistakes in our younger years. Its like waking up the next morning with that "fat" girl from the bar the night before in your bed.

And do you really believe anything the the NYT puts in a OPED piece? I sure don't.

This is the kind of misinformation the MSM puts out to continue to keep this country divided.

Even if he did tweet something does it really matter??? Every journalist has probably said one thing out there that someone doesn't like. Was Chris Wallace the right choice? He is a "never-Trumper" (still a dumb term) isn't he? Who is the right moderator? Someone that will lob softballs to Trump? Maybe Rudy or Chris Christie will do it!

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

:brickwall:
    "Even if he did tweet something does it really matter???"

THAT is a :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Your boy Scully just got suspended by CSPAN for being a liar

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What a sculleywag !

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

But is he now tainted?

• Like Like x 4
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Indeed, a tainted sculleywag.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Why did Trump agree to this garbage? Samantha started out confrontational and has not let up
    Of Course He is doing ok
    but it is irritating

24. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Did Biden get asked about his son tonight?

• Funny Funny x 3
  25. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Because Trump is not afraid, like someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Facebook and Twatter are actively suppressing the story. He'll never be asked about it - certainly not before the election.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

nope

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I thought the nodding woman in the background stole the show
    Not sure how that happened, but it was effective

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

She seems nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Pennsylvania

The 2020 presidential race may be closer than the polls suggest, according to an analysis of voter registration trends by JPMorgan Chase.

Changes in the number of voters registered to each of the major parties have proven to be a significant variable in election outcomes in the past, according to strategists at the New York-based bank, which analyzed trends in some of the battleground states that will be crucial to an electoral college victory.
    In Pennsylvania, for example, a blue-leaning state that Trump won by 44,292 votes in 2016, the Republican Party has since picked up nearly 200,000 voters.

JPMorgan says the gains suggest Trump could win the state by a margin of more than 240,000 in the upcoming election...."

Voter-registration patterns give Trump an edge invisible to polls: JPMorgan

• Like Like x 1