2020 Presidential Election: let the jockeying commence

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ProdigalHorn, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Gee I thought Bill Clinton would have done it for you.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Because this is what America needs now
    Bernie Bros running the economy

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Biden is trying to get some broader support within the Democratic constituency. He won based on being "moderate" but is radicalizing now. The opposite usually happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yep. He's trying to unify the Party as his top priority. That tells me that he thinks he has moderates in the suburbs locked up.

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Biden is losing the battleground states by 7 points.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

From RCP.

Screenshot_20200515-075519.png

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some quotes from Trump from yesterday about his opponent --

“If you asked him who he named, he wouldn’t even know it. Joe has absolutely no idea what’s happening. AOC is a disaster. She wants all fossil fuel out. She wants everything out. She wants wind, which is expensive — kills all the birds. You know, I’m also an environmentalist. But wind is a disaster.”

By allying with Ocasio-Cortez and Sanders on energy policy, Trump said, Biden “lost Texas. He lost Pennsylvania. He lost North Dakota. He lost Oklahoma. And he lost every other state where fuel is important — like about most of them.”

Asked about the possibility that Democrats will not hold an in-person convention, Trump said, “I think that’s a good move when you have Biden as your candidate.”

Trump also said he looked forward to debating Biden in the fall, suggesting, “I know they want to try and get out of the debate by saying they won’t be able to debate because of COVID-19.”

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

clever idea
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

In 2013, Joe Biden and Hunter Biden flew aboard Air Force Two to China.

Ten days later, Hunter Biden's firm inked a $1,500,000,000 with a subsidiary of the Communist Chinese government's Bank of China.

And then Joe Biden stopped US Navy patrols from challenging China’s territorial claims in the South China Sea

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

JF
    I did not know Biden stopped Navy patrols. That should be concerning .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, but will he still after the radicals are on his ticket?

16. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Guys, I wouldn't take any poll, good or bad, serious this early in the game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Nate Silver disagrees with you. There is very little difference in voter from PA to WI, for example.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The timing is highly suspect too
    I got that from Michael Pillsbury who said it in a livestream event
    He said Obama actually wanted to have Navy patrols in the South China Sea but it was Biden who was adamant not to do it

19. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Of course, Nate Silver was among the ones who claimed Shillary was going to steam-roll Trump in 2016. We all know how THAT worked out for all concerned...

20. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Biden will build the beautiful wall that Mexico has obstinately refused to build over the last few years after we were promised they would. I hate the Mexicans for their perfidious lying to us. About the beautiful wall they would build.

If you can't trust the Mexicans, who can you trust?

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Correct, but I did learn one thing from him - many polls are auto-correlated. What Silver did say, is that if the polls are off in OH or IA, they are going to be off in MI and WI too. That is why when OH and MI came in stronger than expected for Trump on election night, Silver knew early that Biden was toast in PA and WI. He also knew that only a few points difference in the national polls completely flipped the Midwest states to Trump. So, yes Hillary to win but it was a very precarious position depending on the accuracy of the polls. Silver said that before the election. His problem is that he trusted the polls (polls were being used to discourage Trump voters). Only the final polls showed Trump within 2% points nationally. If Silver knew that all along, he would have placed the chances at 50:50 or even higher for Trump.

And on the auto-correlation point is where @Mr. Deez is wrong.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yes, but there's even less difference between a voter in PA and another voter in PA. I do concur with Garmel that none of the polls are very relevant now.

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Most likely not, but I've never seen a time when the economy received less political emphasis. And I'm not just talking about the current Coronavirus drama. I could see social and cultural issues used to keep moderates and educated voters in the Biden camp while deemphasizing economic and fiscal matters that would ordinarily turn them off.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 5
  25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

What "Dr" Jill is letting Dems do with this poor sick man is unconscionable.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

27. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Biden is a semi senile weathervane and Trump is an ineffectual ersatz conservative. How you guys can advocate for either is a mystery to me. I guess if you look at it as a sort of Von Papen v Hitler thing it makes sense to pick one.

28. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I agree huisache. I propose we pass on naming a President. No President for 4 years. That would be great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

upload_2020-5-17_16-52-47.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
  30. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Good Lord Mona, then Congress could do whatever they want. Ok one could argue they do that anyway.
    I had to laugh at DeBlasio arguing the case with Maria B that we cannot turn this money grab into a ‘blue state red state’ thing.