2020 Presidential Election: let the jockeying commence

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ProdigalHorn, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I think y'all are talking about the symptoms not the cause. Universities have more money to spend on infrastructure and non-teaching administrations because they have more money. Not the other way around. Those things don't generate money they consume it.

I think Statalyzer is correct that college degrees increase a potential employee's attractiveness. That increased demand. That leads to higher cost.

But the other side of the that is that the government also made it easier to get loans, even for more money than the degrees would economically justify. This facilitated many more people going to college who would either not go or go to cheaper schools or work and school part time. That increased the $s into universities even further.

At the same time the government controls licensing and entrance of new universities into the market. Supply is restricted which means increasing prices don't do what they do in a free market which is signal others to enter into the higher education market which would stabilize the price.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

More of a focus on supply side economics, completely ignoring the demand curve. That's A perspective. I appreciate the consistency even though I believe the world isn't that black/white.

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

If people in public education pimped trade school (and skilled trades in general) half as hard as they pimp a college education, we'd have more tradesmen and not so much demand for women's studies (among other completely useless) courses.

The demand side is being artificially inflated by the completely unrealistic expectation that high schools are supposed to prep all children for college, coupled with the almost completely lost message that craftsmen and skilled labor can equate to a very comfortable living, can be entered immediately after high school (and apprenticeships can be had during high school in some cases), and those people begin earning wages at 18 or 19 with little to no college debt burden to have to service with those wages.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I actually talked about the demand and supply side both. Demand has been increased through government and supply has been held down by government. Plus demand has gone up due to the value (perceived and real) of a college degree.

5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Given these two debates, I think we have 8 years of Trump. Damn the Democrats are good at screwing up elections.

6. Sangre Naranjada

The dumbocrat candidates just have no clue which group to pander to or how to properly do it. These idiots think if they pander to the most freakish subsets of voters, to the greatest outliers from normalcy, it makes them look most compassionate. Only the tiny number of freaks and guilt plagued liberal fools fall for that crapola.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  7. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Bold ideas last night included:

$1,000 cash per citizen per month no questions asked
    Free healthcare for illegal immigrants
    Decriminalize illegal crossings
    Free college
    Eliminate all college debt
    Re-sign the Iranian deal
    Elimination of employer private insurance option / Medicare for all
    And finally, full throated support of the New Green Deal

Count Biden and Bernie out unless the DNC brings back Debbie to “run” the primary. They both looked like bumbling old white men and Kamala painted Biden as a racist.

Trump 2020 is a done deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

The Democrats couldn't have a better platform. No moderator is challenging them. No hardball questions.

They let Warren skate by without one reference to her having used a dubious claim of being native American to get a prestigious position at Harvard. Imagine how they'd have come after Trump for doing that.

Trump can't get a few billion to build the wall, they've got no chance of getting trillions for giveaway programs. But, the old chicken-in-every-pot thing is a timeless classic that has worked over and over again. We'll see how dumb the American voters really are.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I for one am anxious to see Trumps response when K Harris brings up the subject of 'moral character'.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He'll bring up Willie Brown.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Sangre Naranjada

Yeah, well, so did she. Isn't that how old Cameltoe got into politics in the first place?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

I believe that was his point.

13. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Hmmm. I think Sangre means bringing up a certain part of Willie Brown, not bringing up the topic of Willie Brown. Just spitballing here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What are the chances a debate moderator asks some form of this question?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Beto said he would "put farmers in the drivers seat" on climate change.

What he did not say was what they would be driving

16. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

And we have a winner. A few bad apples shouldnt reflect on everyone coming into the US, right?

And re: Kamala, why doesnt she call herself Indian American? Shes just as Indian as she is Black. What's wrong with calling herself Indian?

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Same reason BO chose to focus on his African father.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Biden would likely beat Trump head to head. However, he will not make it out of the primary. He is already done. Kamala painted him equivalent to the KKK. No right minded idiot on the left could vote for him. Turn out the lights Joe, the party is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Husker would be a moderate if he was running. Now Longest fits right in with this bunch of idiots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I'm still waiting for the $1,000 George McGovern promised in 1972. No telling what that would be when adjusted for 47 years of inflation. :smile1:

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

A mule.

• Funny Funny x 4
  23. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

How do you know Husker is not running? Have you looked at all 837 candidates?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Good point. Hickenlooper?

25. 2003TexasGrad

And what does that say for Obama, who evidently didn't vet Biden and never knew he was a, gasp, anti-busser!

Its amazing how no one cares about anything until its politically expedient. I wonder how many Black people Kamala prosecuted in her career?

And shes half Indian btw. Shes bi-racial, not Black.

26. 2003TexasGrad

But dont mules fart?

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I would love to see Kamala get the nomination. She is more unlikeable than Hillary if that is possible and off the charts, crazy liberal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Sangre Naranjada

Apparently they do, but according to my wife, not nearly as much nor as loudly as I.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Prepare to be called a "misogynist" or a "sexist" if you point out her unlikeability.

30. Sangre Naranjada

The terms racist, sexist, homophobic, bigot, etc. get thrown around so often and so casually that they have pretty much lost all effectiveness. For instance, yesterday when Longest stated that all conservatives are racist and thus hate the 14th amendment, my reaction to that was a bored little eye roll. I know a couple of other posters took offense, but for me, that kind of thing is no more meaningful than elementary school playground name-calling. He may as well have said all conservatives are stupid heads.

It did nothing but illustrate the weakness of his argument.

• Agree Agree x 3