2020 Presidential Election: let the jockeying commence

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ProdigalHorn, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

What a shame to the family.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's hard to get too mad at them, because they're so kind and decent in their personal lives. I've known them both for 40 years, and I literally can't tell you a single ugly thing they've ever said about or done to anyone. They're just very decent people. Misguided to no end but very decent.

3. Sangre Naranjada

If they were truly in the crowd wearing ***** hats, they have a streak of hate inside them. Perhaps they hide it well.

4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I have 3 kids. The two oldest are conservatives, but the youngest has always traveled to the beat of a different drum as they say.

She has become "woke" in the last 3--4 years. She used to gripe when I'd make her recycle a soda can, now she picks up plastic cups and stuff that's not hers and takes it home and recycles it. She's a teacher and I think the liberal environment she works in and her work friends have influenced her.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

When you said she was a teacher, that pretty much explained everything. There are maybe 5 conservative teachers in the country.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

And my wife is one of them, but she doesn't bring it into the classroom.

7. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

"Sangre Naranjada,If they were truly in the crowd wearing ***** hats, they have a streak of hate inside them. Perhaps they hide it well."

I'm not trying to quote Trump here, but there were thousands of good women in the crowd who wanted to be part of something they never had a chance to before.
    I have normal, liberal friends who went, who don't have a streak of hate in them.
    To them, it was kind of a female Woodstock, a chance for women to gather together. The crazy ***** wearing women got all the press, but women like my friends took it as kind of a historical girls weekend.
    Much wine was drunk, food was eaten, and they had a blast in a fancy BNB.
    They marched, but it wasn't the focal point of their time. They just wanted to show up as women, if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 3
  8. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Gross exaggeration! My daughter would be one of them and she has others among her friends. But I do admit to being a minority.

9. Sangre Naranjada

You know what, you're probably right, Holland. I withdraw the comment and offer an apology. Unlike people who wish to hold fast to the narrative against Trump's comments in Charlottesville, I will acknowledge that my perceptions of the entire women's rally were probably unfairly tainted by the crazy ones who got the press coverage.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Obviously, there are more than five, and Mrs. Deez is one of them. However, they are a small minority, and very few of them are vocally conservative because they know how obnoxious and intolerant many of the liberal teachers are. Basically, the liberal teachers shoot off their mouths, and conservative teachers keep quiet to avoid getting bullied.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think the election will be much closer than this. However, Trump has lost support with white women - a group he won in 2016. If he can't regain their support, he will be in trouble in 2020. It's easy to point to the economy and say they should be backing him, but it's clear that policy and substantive issues aren't defining the electorate. Personality, style, and political branding are, and of course, the media drives that more than anything else. That's not good for Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I thought the clowns had promised all the free stuff they could.
    Wrong
    Bernie just promised to eliminate medical debt.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The truth about this woman is that her single largest donor heading into the 2018 election was Boies Schiller and Flexner
    Her former employer
    Who paid her millions
    AKA the same firm who hired thugs to terrorize and silence the victims of Harvey Weinstein
    Remeber, just because CNN/MSNBC dont cover it doesnt mean it didnt happen
    So please save the grandstanding

15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

According to whom has he lost support from white women? Polls? If so, that is laughable. We all know how accurate the polls are.

My wife is a white woman and her support has not diminished.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

No incumbent president has ever polled this poorly against his likely challengers at this point in the campaign.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Two things. Polls and the 2018 election.

So polls are useless, but one anecdote proves everything? Interesting logic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Polls said Clinton was going to be our president too.

• Like Like x 2
  19. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Nope. I was pointing out how useless both of those data points are. Polls and one person.

Edit: The history of the "Polls" the last several years indicates that it's not very logical to pint to them as credible sources.

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

There was also an election in 2018. It largely reinforced what the polls on white women are suggesting.

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Warren taking away their health insurance will drive suburban women back to Trump.

22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Warren likely won't be the nominee.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"No incumbent president has ever polled this poorly against his likely challengers at this point in the campaign. "
    I see that. Maybe it portends.
    LH
    Has any Presidential Candidate polled so incredibly high and lost as Hillary ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Ouch.

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You're overstating your case. The polls predicted that Clinton would win the popular vote by 3.3 percent. She won by 2.1 percent. Though they incorrectly predicted the winner, they weren't wildly off. The point is that they shouldn't be dismissed altogether. They've been followed and taken seriously for decades for a reason.

Does this mean Trump is a goner? No. It's very early, and we don't have a Democratic nominee yet. However, when your support in a decisive voting bloc wanes to a significant degree, that is something to take seriously. And frankly, I don't understand your fear. If he takes the poll to heart and beefs up his support with white women, the worst thing that happens is that he wins the election by a bigger margin. How is that a bad thing?

• Winner Winner x 1
  26. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I don't know a single woman who voted for Trump, but will not in this election. They both think he's doing a wonderful job. :yes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This is pretty funny.
    NPR's Maria Hinojosa
    Appearing on MSNBC's AM Joy, and during a discussion of the Democrat primary, Hinojosa said:

What does John Delaney offer? I’m sorry, I was with him last week, and this is a moment we have to have these conversations. I said, there is a critique that white guys just take up a lot of space."

Apparently the Dems don't need evil white people's votes.

28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Can anyone explain why Steve King's comments were worse than this?

29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    cuz he is white and a Republican
    Duh

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  30. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

My wife as well. And she doesn't take it to the classroom, but has had to factually correct seventh and eighth graders on their inaccurate views (such as trump is a Russian agent. Asked for proof and got crickets)