2020 Presidential Election: let the jockeying commence

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ProdigalHorn, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Right now, a member of Congress has to buy health insurance through the DC exchange. (They aren't exempt from Obamacare.) He's also Medicare eligible, and that's probably covering his care. However, he can't really give that to all Americans. He's getting the government to pay for medical care that is generally operating in a private context and mostly financed privately. If he gave everybody Medicare, that dynamic would definitely change at least in many respects.

That's the hard part. However, I think people would be more willing to go along with the costs (meaning much higher taxes) if they had more faith that the government would do a respectable job. When most people think of government, they think of expensive but mediocre schools, shabby infrastructure, long lines at the post office, and long lines at the DMV. They don't want their healthcare to look like that. People do go along with it in Europe because those governments have a better track record.

By "leverage," do you mean trying to negotiate down costs? If so, they definitely do that with Medicare when it comes to providers. That's why reimbursement rates are so low. However, they don't do it with prescription drugs. Republicans don't create entitlement programs often, but when they do, they ensure that it's unfunded and that it gives the taxpayer the crappiest deal possible.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It does set up a convenient excuse for him to bow out.
    Which brings up a couple of interesting secondary questions --

(1) Would this move cost him a second brand new lake house or would it earn him a second brand new lake house?
    (2) Who would he endorse? -- Hillsy? Or perhaps the better question is - would anyone want it? An endorsement from him might help you in the primary, but it would hurt you after that. No doubt Beto y Los Hermanos Castros would gobble it up - but not sure about the rest of them.

3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

My assumption that Congress is like other Federal/State unionized employees who get very good private medical insurance plans must have been incorrect.

I seem to remember part of the criticism of the ACA from the right is that Congress, like most Private employers who offer employees insurance was unimpacted by the legislation. Essentially, ACA is good for thee but not for me (Congress).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Yang can't do this without one of these which is all bad 1) increase taxes drastically on everyone, 2) giving money poor people are receiving today to pay middle and upper class people, or 3) going into even more ridiculous debt.

How about politicians QUIT LOOKING FOR THINGS TO DO WITH MY MONEY!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

CNN refused to air this ad

• Hot Hot x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

He had that hat made after blacks called him a traitor for wearing a regular MAGA hat.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That used to be true. They were covered under the Federal Employee Heath Benefit Program. That's what I have. They would have gotten to choose between several private options that meet federal guidelines. (For reference, I have the Foreign Service Benefit Plan through Aetna. It's a 90/10 plan with a $300 per person and $600 per family deductible and dirt cheap, so it's pretty generous.)

That was supposed to be the case, but under political pressure, the exemption was gutted. Link.

9. Seattle Husker

It's not often Congress deserves kudos but I'll gladly give it to 'em here. Well done, Congress. That's practicing what you are preaching which seems to be rather rare these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I get it, but they did it for cheap optics, not principles. Members of Congress and their staffs are federal employees, who operate under what amounts to a group employment plan. No reason for them to be any different.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What we have here is a cashflow problem
    (not to mention Warren caught lying again)

• Hot Hot x 1
  12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hmmm, seems that tweet is unavailable.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

FB_IMG_15702983451289214.jpg

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Just watched the Confirmation Chronicles on Fox News regarding the Bork confirmation process. Man, what a complete POS Biden is. I thought he was a decent man but he is really a disgusting human being. What he did to Bork and then Thomas was truly reprehensible.

I also forgot about his chronic plagiarism problem. Getting torn to shreds during this primary will be poetic justice for this human filth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Seattle Husker

Weren't you a Trump voter? :facepalm:

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Bernie's polls feeling the bern

[​IMG]

• Hot Hot x 1
  17. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I have said multiple times on this board that I did not vote for Trump.

18. Seattle Husker

My bad...must have missed it. You have my sincerest apology.

I've said many times on this board that I did hold my nose and vote for HRC to prevent the stain of Trump.

19. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

That's funny. You summed up why I plan on voting for Trump in 2020 except its to prevent the loony left from taking over. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Seattle Husker

LOL! I was just about to give you credit for standing consistent with your principles and your statement on Biden.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

lol

• Funny Funny x 3
  22. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

I bet Pete wins the nomination when all is said and done. He has way more charisma than the other 3, he is young, and he would be the first openly gay President if elected. That is something Progressives can rally around. Not sure Trump would or could attack him like the other 3 either.

23. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I don't see it. Blacks won't vote for him. My money is on Warren.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I agree, but I can see Pete being on the ticket. It would make the Woke feel so righteous about voting Democratic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

That's possible. Although I think Warren needs some color on the ticket to temper her extreme paleness. Wouldn't be surprised to see her pick a black running mate. When was the last time that a POTUS candidate selected another candidate for a running mate? Last I recall was Reagan / Bush.

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You may be right. She will need strong black turnout. She won't get that on get own since she might be the whitest woman in America.

Easy to forget, but Biden ran in 2008. That's when he made the "clean and articulate" comment.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I don't think the Dem brain trust is satisfied with what they've got on the table. They were hoping Biden could bring it home, but he's looking more and more like damaged goods. I don't believe that they think any of the other candidates can win. I think they'll try to convince Michelle or Hillary or someone of that ilk to get in the race. Somebody who is seen as more moderate than the pack of rabid leftists they've got now.

28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I don’t think any serious dem thought for a minute that their nominee in 2020 would beat Trump. 2020 is a trial run for someone or ideas who / that can bring their party together.

29. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Good point. But I am not sure the Democratic Party is going to dominate the Black vote in the near future. The shift is happening now. The Conquistador was a good example of a far left candidate winning without receiving decisive support from minorities. I think that is what we are going to see. If not the Democrats are going to have to change their policy and rhetoric, Pronto.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Every day it seems she is inching closer
    She must think she can win -- anyone seen Christopher Steele?