2020 Presidential Election: let the jockeying commence

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ProdigalHorn, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yep. Consider this quote. He says a lot here.

"What I found is that, in many cases, these folks are not really Latino at all. They’re “post-Latino.” They see themselves as Americans."

In his mind, if you assimilate, you aren't Latino anymore. (This should also explain why Democrats aren't fans of assimilation. It makes identity politics far less effective.)

Furthermore, if you're Latino, you aren't an American. Essentially, he's agreeing with the alt-Right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's quite an eye-opening comment. Self-segregate and call people racists who do not approve of the cross-border alliance because they support enforcement of the Constitution and refuse to financially support the anti-American tribal cultural racist sub-culture that will ultimately vote against the political values of those whose wealth is being transferred.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So, if we have a war with Mexico, we round up Latinos? Because Navarrette is espousing the thinking behind rounding up German and Japanese immigrants during WW2.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Of course. This is why identity politics is so dangerous. If you accept its underlying assumptions, things like genocide become much easier to justify. They would claim that their intentions are benevolent, but that simply isn't rational. If you promote and emphasize differences and segregation rather than commonality and integration, groups tend to becone suspicious of each other's loyalties and intentions, and by the way, they have good reason to do so. That suspicion easily turns into violence.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Deez, you are right. This is exactly what happened to the Jews in Germany. The Germans saw the Jewish population in their country as traitors. They blamed them for Germany getting out of WW1 prematurely and harming them through the Versailles Treaty. Hitler initially rounded up Jews in Germany only to prepare the country to go back to war without having to worry about their influence. They tried to send them all to another country with no takers. The original plan wasn't genocide. But then after the war started, they took over nations to their East who had even more Jews, like Poland. Germany didn't have the resources to take care of the expanding number of people (at least in their eyes) and fight a war too, so they decided to commit genocide. Rationally, purposefully and unemotionally. Pretty sick stuff.

They source issue of this tragic story is that the Germans didn't see the Jews as German. They were citizens of Germany but didn't really belong. They were a separate people. The Jews in many ways felt the same way. Not all of them but enough of them.

This was the rationale Jews used to ask for a home nation, even before the holocaust. They wanted a home land for the Jewish people, a place where they truly belonged, a place that was theirs and no one else's. It is a big reason why there is such a mess in Israel today. They wanted an ethnic state, which meant the Arabs didn't belong. They allow Arabs to be citizens today in Israel, but they still don't see them as equal. Israel is for Jews. That's it. Again, there are people who disagree with that sentiment, but that is the official stance of the government as voted for by their people.

Collectivism in the US will lead to conflict, it already is, which will escalate if the Left is successful in segregating us more and more.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The NYT wrote an early obit for the Kamala Harris campaign.
    Seems like her aides couldnt wait to dish on her. I think the public never never understood what she was doing in this race, what she was for or against. Maybe she just thought she could show up as a female-Obama and folks would love her just for that, no substance needed?

[​IMG]

8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"Maybe she just thought she could show up as a female-Obama and folks would love her just for that, no substance needed?"
    Worked for her in California for years.

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No substance needed worked for Obama too. "Yes, we can!" Nobody ever asked, "Yes, we can what?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SN
    Never thought of that. Brilliant. Wish I had back then.

11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This is what happens when you are used to sleeping your way to the top.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Sayonara, Cameltoe!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Dude is so weird

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I can almost hear my old secretary Pearline saying -- "Oh lord ...."
    Followed by one her most famous lines -- "that boy aint right"

• WTF? WTF? x 4
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

here is what I don't get. If Trump is such a Putin lover why is he sending weaponry to Ukraine to fight Russia?
    Why didn't Obama?
    Reiner is a typical Hater. I guess I can add racist to deplorable cultists.

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. Consider the Balkans. Balkanization always leads to terrible places.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Day One of the 'No Malarkey Tour' in Iowa
    Not exactly off to a hot start
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

This is the unfortunate delusion that attaches itself to virtue signaling. The mental obsession associated with mastery of the "art" lends itself to one's belief that they can lead the only true superpower in the world. It is truly an echo chamber of fantasy world where all who speak in such a totalitarian way while covering themselves with goodness creates a world surrounded by evil that must be destroyed. Blame for the economy, foreign policy failures and the government's financial position is easily transferred to the evil doers because in the fantasy world that Kamala, Beto and AOC peddle, all would be solved if only the oppressive white privileged marauders were not there to wake them up from their dream.

19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Old Joe doesn't exactly work the room like Phil Hartman did...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ha! That guy in the bottom picture is clearly an enthusiastic Biden supporter...

No Malarkey, but plenty of Blarney (in a slurred and stumbling tone) on Joe's tour.

Q: What did Joe Biden get when he kissed the Blarney stone on his trip to Ireland?

A: Same as everyone else who does that--trace amounts of urine on his lips.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Balkanization isn't the problem. The problem is trying to force separate groups into the same government. If every group gets to choose for themselves how they live life without forcing others to, then the multiple groups can be peaceful. They can trade. They can set up other agreements voluntarily.

Don't force the groups to work to be the same. But also don't force people who have common interests to focus on their differences.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Of course, the founding fathers had a solution to this. It was called states and local governments. However, for those to work, people would have to stop being busybodies and stop worrying about what happens in other states.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The Constitution seems to be comprised of three layers; federal, state and individual. What I think has happened is that the Left is not in favor of states rights at all. Under this umbrella is the power the states wield with the electoral college (the states have a voice in the general presidential election; they are not destroyed by a democracy, i.e. the popular vote) and the rights afforded them ("... powers not specifically reserved to Congress by Article I, Section 8, of the Constitution or to be shared concurrently by the federal and state governments are reserved by either the states or by the people.) to respond to the wishes of their residents which seems to be a Democracy one level down from the federal platform. In a sense, the states are individuals with their own rights.

I believe I read somewhere that states rights were critical in the ratification process. Does that negate the importance of states rights in legal circles in that their power was negotiated rather than adopted by the hand of God or the founder's wisdom?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

My prediction is that for 2020, top-left will become even more prominent red

[​IMG]

25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ha! I didn’t think I’d run into apologists for Balkanization around here. Interesting crowd.

Tribalism, Balkanization, and playing up our differences rather than our commonalities tends to promote social disorder. It’s also from the playbook of the far left in their chiseling attacks on free market liberal democracies. I’m not for it, nor do I think it’s harmless.

26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

More from Joe Biden's "No Malarkey" tour. You can't make this stuff up.

[​IMG]

MSNBC anchor laughs at Biden 'No Malarkey' phrase

Joe Biden Mocked and Hilariously Ridiculed For His Outdated and Goofy 'No Malarkey' Campaign Tour Bus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it's gone from: "A chicken in every pot", to "the buck stops here", to "a new frontier", to "a great society", to "change", to "no malarkey". :lmao:

The "No Malarkey" tour sounds more like The Chieftans or The Dubliners playing a bunch of Irish pubs in small Northern U.S. cities -- 40 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So I heard a linguistics professor in Dublin translated "Malarkey".

Apparently, "Malarkey" means "Interest" or "Enthusiasm" or "Chance of Success" in Old Gaelic. :smile1::smokin::rolleyes1::lmao:

Whoever his opponent is, Trump will make the general election campaign a non-stop insult and comedy show. But with Biden, Trump can take it to another level. There's so much material to work with in Ol Joe.

28. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

The Anti-federalists were the real federalists. But even though they "lost" the Constitution was ratified by the individual States as a result of them believing it was a compact, a collection of sovereign States.

29. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

My comment wasn't about supporting the action of playing up differences. I was just saying that have different groups wanting to lead different lives doesn't necessitate violence. As long as those groups have control over themselves and leave the other groups alone, there will be peace. In that context there will be interaction between the groups where common interests exist. But they don't have to be the same thing.

Social disorder comes in when there is only 1 power structure that the different groups are fighting over. There are political winners and losers. The winners then get to have power over the losers, until the losers can turn the tide. That is unhealthy. Each group emphasizes how they are different from the other in order to grow a larger more influential group.

There are different groups in our country. There always has been. There always will be. We should emphasize where we are the same or have common interests. I agree that is a good thing. But unless you defuse the political winner take all situation there will be rivalry and at some point violence.

The best way to do that in the US is to emphasize state's rights. Give the States more and more power. The federal government less and less power. That isn't a perfect solution. But then cities within states can start to have more autonomy too. At some point people will have to move to a region, state, or city where they feel like they belong. If this happens national politics becomes less of a big deal. California can be California and Texas can be Texas without each trying to force the other into change.

• Like Like x 1
  30. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Just watch "A Few Good Men". Meathead maligns and vilifies the Marine Corps and makes them all out to be deranged "Honor" loving buffoons. Really, it is the Tom Cruise character who is a little weasel. But liberal Meathead makes all the Gitmo Marines psychos.

Archie was right.