2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

We decided ? OR did the kid decide to go to Michigan and we went with our next choice ? I think that has been true for several recruits lately. Like the Dobbins kid from LaGrange who chose tOSU instead of Charlie's Horns. We may pass on some guys due to grades, etc but many choose other schools no matter how much Texas wants them. They leave for $$$, just to leave the state, the lure of ESPN's beloved $EC.....etc.

2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Thats what happens when you can barley hang with Kansas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. utxhorns32

utxhorns32 100+ Posts

Maybe he’s gonna visit Kansas this weekend :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BurntOrangeLH

So you are saying if we beat KU 69-0 he would think he would be playing right away???

I think at some point he needs to realize his "mentor" is not going to play a down nor attend a class for him.

6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

To me this is a symptom of an obvious problem: Our defense is historically bad. We can spin it until the cows come home...

“It’s just one recruit.”
    “He committed too early.”
    “Once we get players healthy everything will be fine.”
    “He wants to play in a 4-3.”

We have a problem, and Herman knows it. He may downplay the issue but inside, he has to be sweating bullets.

We can fix this problem but it may take a DC change to get it done.

I’m concerned that we may have seen the beginning of a trend...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Me too duke. That’s why I’d like to know just what is the issue, or what the players are saying. I sure don’t like the report by JF that a starter didn’t go to practice.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Someone not associated with the team is going to have to explain.

9. BurntOrangeLH

So we need to cater to every kid who has not bought in and ignore those who have?

Sounds like a Jimbo Fisher program.

10. BurntOrangeLH

Citation, please. I have not heard of anything like this.

Was that player excused by staff? There are higher powers about how the team is run than players, I hope.

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

IF there is a problem, there needs to be a players only meeting called. That's why we have captains & leaders. Hash it out and the captains go to the coaches for a "what's said in this room stays in this room" meeting.

Any signs of retribution by a coach and he is the new valet at Antone's.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

There is speculation that we are about to lose Eaton, Fillinger and Pouncey. All defensive recruits. Don't care about Eaton as he was a bit of a reach but really sorry to hear about Fillinger, but also can't blame him. Pouncey might be more about his brother's situation and lack of playing time. If we lose Pouncey, you can bet we will also lose his brother to the transfer portal.

13. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The way the defense is playing you'd think these recruits would be salivating to come in a start early. You dont fall in love with a program and decommit after a few shakey performances just like that. Texas only 2 losses are to top 5 teams. Theres more going on if these rumors are true.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  15. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Agree, With the defensive issues, recruits should be excited about coming in and playing right way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

2003 that’s exactly why this worries me. I always look at the potential to contribute angle as a positive. Because of that I am concerned with all this disgruntlement.
    Good Lord think what it would be if we were actually losing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BurntOrangeLH

Barley as in Scotch?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BurntOrangeLH

Thinking logically, yes. But when a program gets successful, it gets a lot of jumpers on the bandwagon for the glory.

Herman before at UH had to find the lean and hungry junkyard dogs.

19. BurntOrangeLH

Funny I saw about 3 CB at 247 for him to Blow U.

Well, at least he knows he will get a good education, good coaching and with effort will play early.

Maybe the Sooner Schooner wrecks convinced him?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. BurntOrangeLH

I doubt Van Fillinger will leave. He is very committed.

Pouncey? He is out all year with an injury, but a terrific upside. His brother has not been on the field a whole lot, so .....

21. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Is it just me or does it feel like the wheels are starting to fall off the Longhorn Wagon?

I’m normally very positive when it comes to the Horns. But when we start losing commitments and recruits then it’s time to become concerned.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

If I personalize this a bit I think I see it differently than my original thought. My Grandson plays soccer at a small Tn school and without doubt ( prejudice aside) is one of the best in the squad. I could see him looking around at other opportunities because the team is not so good. Difference here though in that he’s a Frosh so playing on JV but I can see the motivation to someone that sees what he thinks is a sinking, or not rising, ship and their talents are wasting. You only have 4 years or 4 seasons so one would want the best experience possible.

23. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Unfortunately those who bleed orange and would be the exception to above are not abundant enough. TG for Sam.

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

No. We need to provide evidence that the coaching a kid receives at the University of Texas is elite, innovative and prepares them for the NFL.

Not what we saw in the Kansas game (which coincidentally was the final straw that broke Charlie's back).

25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

KU is the coach-slayer around these parts.

26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We'll know after the next 3-4 games. All it takes are several wins in a row against Big 12 competition, including a good thumping or two, and most of the luster returns. The competition is tough and there's a target on our back. I still think our guys will rise to the occasion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

:hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  28. BurntOrangeLH

So Texas should be an NFL minor league team and not prepare its athletes for real life off the field? Like say Alabama or Clemson or LSU? I would walk away form UT if they made that choice. At Texas, like Herman has said, it is not about the next 3 or 4 years, it is about the next 30 or 40 years of the athlete's life.

Newsflash: Charlie Strong has not been here for the last 3 years.

• Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Not sure I put Clem quite in the same category as Ala and LSU. But it’s just my feeling.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We offered a Baylor commit

• Like Like x 1