2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

There's 8 spots open, don't see us adding any WR with those 8. Seems like 2 DL and 2 other players in Feb. The other 4 are saved for grad transfers that can contribute on the field next year if Herm can find and close them. 2021 is a talented class, wouldn't mind saving those for them as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

I think the question is, how many of the eight early enrollees in the 20/20 class can be assigned to the 2019 class? I do not know.

The 4 or 5 vacancies to which I referred previously are in the WR room.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Going to be a winner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BurntOrangeLH

Handsome young man with a developed sartorial sense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We did not make Wren's top 5

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Corbin to FSU

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ironic

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BurntOrangeLH

Is Chris Wren coming for a visit? He is crazy quick.

12. BurntOrangeLH

From one cesspool to another.

• Hot Hot x 1
  13. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

We are so far from these top 3 teams. We need 4-5 more strong recruiting classes before we are close.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I disagree, we have a lot of good talent already and we just need to add to it with the top class for 2021, and a top 5 class for 2022 and we'll be there. Also good play calling by the coaches. We're approaching the door we just need to kick it in. Let's not forget we just got JQJ, BR, Card, Broughton,etc.... well we need to shore the linebacking group. We'll see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BurntOrangeLH

Did you see the LSU game this year? Asking for a friend of yours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas is behind the top three due to bad coaching decisions by the administration (keeping Brown at least one-year too long and the entire Strong mess), but a bad choice of games. Texas was one fake LSU leg injury away from winning that game. Coach O acknowledged as much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. LazyHorn

LazyHorn 25+ Posts

The intensity that LSU tOSU and Clem played with was awesome
    Blow U, not so much
    We are still behind in depth, development, play calling and consistency
    We are building
    Patience people Patience

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Given our roster for 2020, in what game should we not be favored? I see perhaps only one for sure, LSU, and partially because of the venue.

Now, if we begin to lay eggs, the odds will change.

19. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

We’re not deep enough.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  20. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Any team can beat any other team in any given day. I like that we are getting Lsu early, but I like even more is the projected number of guys they have that will jump to the NFL. I'm expecting almost every junior they have will jump based on their draft grades of course.

Besides losing Burrows I think they lose Helaire, Moss, Jefferson, and Charles on offense.

On defense I think the following guys declair for the draft
    Queen, Phillips, Chaisson, Delpit.

If my guess is correct in total they will be losing 6 or more guys on offense and 6 or more guys on defense.

Keep in mind, it's not chicken feed they have backing these guys up, I'm pretty sure most of their backups are just as talented, in fact their running backs are going to not miss a beat, same with their receivers. I can only hope we catch a break and their backup QB is more mortal than Burrows turned out to be.

Biggest thing Texas has going for it is there won't be much film on our OC and DC for them to dissect.

Texas will come into that game probably a 14 pt underdog but they have a puncher's chance of winning. Just don't be surprised if they don't.

21. BurntOrangeLH

Not to mention two failed opportunities to score some points inside the LSU 5 yard line twice in the 1st quarter. Name a closer game LSU had this year.

Orgeron said of the 'Horns in the second half, 'We couldn't stop them."

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  22. BurntOrangeLH

We were down to starting true freshmen and redshirt freshmen in the DB when the roof caved in. That is 3rd and 4th string.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. BurntOrangeLH

Second biggest thing is that the young guys that Texas may play or have as backups had valuable experience in pressure situations this year so the jitters will be gone. The new DC will build on that.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

No matter who the coordinators are, if they can't put our defensive line in a better position to make an impact, you won't see better results next year. Think about this. the vast majority of our tackles were made by our 2nd and 3rd level guy, in many cases it happened with the ball carrier getting to the 2nd level untouched. In other words he had a 5 yard head of steam when he got to that level and beyond. And we wonder why we had so many injuries in the defensive backfield.

If we want different results, we need our dline to be making about 25% of the tackles on running plays and getting to the QB in 3 second or less on 75% of the passing plays. This is what a top defense can do. Back to running plays we need 50% of the tackles to be made by our linebackers, again, this is what championship level defenses do. The vast majority of tackles our Dbs should make should be on Receivers.

If we get that, we don't have nearly the number of injuries we had this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Well dislike and poop to you as well! Happy New Year! Still not deep enough...

26. BurntOrangeLH

The point is Texas is getting deeper every year but it is an uphill struggle when younger more capable guys replace older less talented ones.

Proof in point: NT. Did Gerald Wilbon ever play badly in 2018. No. How often did he see the field in 2019? Not very. He started off #1 and was #3 by mid season. DeAndre Christmas Giles saw virtually no field time. He is not a bad NT. Coburn and Ojomo are just better and a lot younger.

27. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

That's what she said

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Hot Hot x 2
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

247 article about possible ratings bumps post-AA games
    They mention Bijan Robinson and Alfred Collins as potential 5-stars
    Would be nice to see Bijan pass Zach Evans in the 247Comp. ESPN and 247 both somehow show him as a 4-star, even though he is a 5-star in the Composite.
    14th on Rivals
    22nd on ESPN
    23rd on 247
    I think the top 27 of the final 247 will all be 5-stars and he is #23 right now (the current 5-star cut is #19), so if he stays there or rises even higher, he should finnish as a 5-star in their final ranking

Who's in line for a rankings bump at the All-American Bowl?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

At the AA game, all the 247 guys had Card as the #1 QB yesterday
    They basically said Card and King were the only two somewhat impressive QBs. Except Farrell, who had him at #3

1. Hudson Card, Austin (Texas) Lake Travis – Texas
    Card was the top quarterback for his Team Pressure squad and had a very solid day. The ball comes out of his hand so clean and he really throws a consistently tight and catchable ball. He was accurate to all three levels of the field, showed plenty of zip on his passes and throws with excellent timing and anticipation.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  30. BurntOrangeLH

Strange as Bijan is #1 on Rivals and no worse than #2 RB anywhere else.