2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Andre Jones, High School All American DT from El Paso. He got in with a few bad dudes, Robert Joseph in particular, and got arrested for armed robbery. He was booted from the team and died an early and tragic death (not from the robbery). I don’t know if it was a suicide. Sad story all around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. SouthBayHorn

SouthBayHorn 25+ Posts

3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I just looked it up. Andre Jones died in a hotel room of an overdose. The death was ruled an accident. Terrible tragedy.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Might have all been avoided if that piece of **** HC at Port Arthur (later HC at Atascosita) had been honest with recruiters

5. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

In celebration of everyone finally seeing talent and awarding Bijan top RB of the class:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Still about 10 spots too low, I'd put him about 10 or 11 in the nation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I would say the sooners are poop on our boots

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We got bumped down from 10 to 11 in the team rankings, for now
    OTOH, we only have 17 commits -- while every team above us has 21 or more
    If you go by player avg instead, we are #6

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is some Mike Roach on the final 247 rankings of some of our players

Ja’Quinden Jackson made a slight move from No. 55 to No. 46. That’s probably the ceiling for where a player like Jackson could rise in the rankings. Though his film and skillset are dominant, his future at quarterback is a bit murky in the eyes of evaluators. Jackson was ranked as a quarterback and his signing along with Hudson Card gives the Longhorns the top two players in the state at the position. It also lands Texas two of the top six quarterbacks in the country. Card landed at No. 69 after a strong Elite 11 performance and a matching senior season. He was also the consensus standout among the quarterbacks at the Under Armour All-America Game.
    Prince Dorbah pretty much stayed put at No. 124. As a player with somewhat of a tweener future, his ranking ceiling was a bit capped. Dorbah had a strong senior season and didn’t look out of his element as an off-ball linebacker at the All-American Bowl.
    — John Tyler cornerback Kitan Crawford (No. 144) saw a little bit of upward movement after a big senior year and a strong performance at the Under Armour All-America Game. While he didn’t finish as the top-ranked cornerback in the state, Crawford showed off great tools and the play to match all year.
    Xavion Alford (No. 145 to No. 170), Jerrin Thompson (No. 158 to No. 194), and Vernon Broughton (No. 172 to No. 195) all saw slight drops. Most of the time, these variations indicate stagnation and moving down due to others moving up. Alford missing his senior season didn’t help, and Broughton’s senior film just didn’t show the jump many people expected from him.

— I try never to focus on what could have been, but looking at the rankings, I see several missed opportunities. Texas would have been a real threat for Jaxon Smith-Njigba (No. 15) had they offered earlier in his process. They lost legit head to head battles for Jaylon Jones (No. 16) and Demond Demas (No. 31) early in the process. Loic Fouonji (No. 103) was gettable had Texas pushed earlier, and Jahdae Barron (No. 127) could have been a late-cycle target for Texas at cornerback. The race for Savion Williams (No. 163) isn’t over, but Texas could have moved earlier there as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Collins, as our 2nd best 5*, IF HE CHOOSES THE GOOD GUYS, would bump us up how many points? Enough to jump ouSUX, right?

I posted the 247 formula on here somewhere a year or two ago, but I forget

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think if we get all 3 guys, we will be 6 or 7 or 8. We'll see.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The latest is that Marshall WR Savion Williams will (or is supposed to) OV this weekend, after a visit from BC.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

BC?

Latest on Dixon?

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

:shh:

With Dixon, we dont yet know if he will take his final OV to UH, or not. He likes us but also wants immediate PT, which he could probably get at UH or UTSA. We will have to see how this plays out.

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

What the ... . Does he actually believe Holgorsen or any major college HC will honor a promise for immediate PT? His brother needs to have a word with him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. BurntOrangeLH

You know, if he is good enough and can pick up the system in fall practice, he will get some playing time. If not, he will have to wait and work on improving like a lot of other good players at Texas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not to mention the depth charts of each team. They not only show him theirs but ours too. Most of the paysites still seem to thing he will land in Austin. We will know soon enough.

For example, Eric Nahlin thinks we close with Alfred Collins, Kelvontay Dixon and Ennis Rakestraw. He calls Princely a maybe.
    " .... I have mild, mild concern over Bama and Rakestraw. I don’t think they’ll have room and that helps. Princely is a coin flip. Who knows with him. ..."

And here is 247/Mike Roach's guesses of the same group
    Collins - 75%
    Dixon - 80%
    Rakestraw - 55%
    Princely - 49%

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  18. BurntOrangeLH

I will take those 3 out of 4 and hope Umanmielen will wake up and look at the big picture when he realizes football is not forever, but education is your future and what you make of it.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

OB says to cancel this. No OV and we are out of it

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Justin Wells says that while he is on campus now, he thinks Florida still leads at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  21. BurntOrangeLH

Say what? :fire:

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Savion Williams down to TCU and Piglet

23. BurntOrangeLH

He must be suffering from low self esteem.

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They say we got on him too late

25. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Well, that was written in a way that makes me say "um, what are we taking about?"

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Well, the quoted text from earlier said Williams would be coming to Austin for an OV this weekend.
    The newer post was an update that said things changed and he is no longer coming to Austin for an OV.
    Sorry if I was too brief.

27. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

big mistake esp the pig part of it.....

28. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

One of my son's friends is attending UofA and says it's because it will be easier than other choices. I know they offer in-state tuition to Texas kids, which eases the burden on his parents, but I wonder if they know the other part.

• Like Like x 1
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Many people would be stunned if they visited Fayetteville today. I returned a dozen years ago and couldn't believe what it has become. Again the Walmart/Tyson influence has made a huge difference.

As for the school, it is nearing or now has more Texas kids than Arkansas kids. Their two largest alumni groups are Dallas and Houston. My friends' kids that have gone there were recruited by major companies to start their careers. Waive out of state tuition and lots of scholarship money.

As further demonstration of a more civilized society, Washington County and The City of Fayetteville have lifted the height restriction on buildings, allowing Mr Nock to build three tall hotels. They even sold him the Frank Lloyd Wright designed city library building to be renovated into an office building.

30. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

A whole ot of Arkansas is not as backwards as you think. There is a ton of influential people there and a ton of money there. And it has always been that way.

• Agree Agree x 1