2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Tua's brother

• Hot Hot x 1
  2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Which makes no sense with Smith there and Moore being a potential returnee.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I fear for my man Jake. I'm hoping he mans up and takes the starting job at slot. But Jwhit and Moore will make that difficult. But, in any case, the slot position will be strong and we should utilize it to the MAX.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Double slots = 10 yard min offense

• Like Like x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. BurntOrangeLH

Well, no one can run an empty backfield every play. Can Texas?

6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

It's never really an empty backfield when your QB is one of your best runningbacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I smell OU!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Our roster is at 84 --
    13 Seniors (incldg Cosmi/Coutoumanos)
    19 Juniors (inccldg Hine/Mader/Jacques)
    20 Soph (inccldg JMoore/Brock)
    13 Freshmen
    19 Incoming High Schoolers

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That was my first thought too. But I said that with the UH QB too

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We had some horrendous schemes and play calling on both sides. On offense, we often went straight at the strength of the opposing defense, the entire game. I especially hated those slow developing run calls that anyone could read. At the worst times too. I remember a female relative walking through during one of our games - she saw the formation in 1 second, called the play, kept walking. She nailed it. So did the opposing defense.

But hopefully we have addressed the scheme and play calling issues. As well as the WR coach issue. Our overall roster is finally in decent shape (mostly), which feels like it took a decade to get to. The OL should be good, with nice depth.

I was looking at the 2019 class just yesterday and we had 3 5-star or 5-star-caliber recruits who never even saw the field for us (McCoy, Floyd, Whittington). I will probably hate myself later for writing this, but it almost has to get better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Roster -- 3 year rolling class (so only 2018, 2019 & 2020)
    IMO this looks better than any other 3-year class rolling roster for the last 10 years

QB
    Thompson
    Card
    JQJ
    RJohnson (but slotted for RB)

RB
    Ingram
    RJohnson
    Robinson
    Brown (medical)

WR
    Eagles
    Moore
    Woodard
    Whittington
    Smith
    Washington
    Lewis
    Omeire
    Dixon
    Harrison

TE
    Epps
    Liebrock
    Wiley

OL
    Angilau
    Moore
    Jones
    Johnson
    Hookfin
    Tyler
    Garth
    Karic
    Ghirmai
    Majors
    Parr

ATH
    Hullaby (could be LB or H-B)

DL
    Coburn
    Ojomo
    Sweat
    Goram-Welch
    Ossai
    Vaughns
    Carson
    Jones
    Collins
    Broughton
    Mpagi (could be a medical)

LB
    Adeoye
    Gbenda
    Tillman
    Mitchell
    Dorbah
    Ford

CB
    Green
    Cook
    Jamison
    Watson
    Caldwell
    Crawford

S
    Sterns
    Foster
    Overshown
    Owens
    Adimora
    Alford
    Thompson

K/P
    Bujcevski
    Dicker

• Like Like x 2
  12. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

LB is still too thin, and no real proven difference maker. Ash may run a 4-2-5 a lot to mask the depth issues, but I don't understand why Herman hasn't been able to recruit the position better given the opportunity to play early.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

RP, probably because of the prior defensive scheme that really featured LB's as heavy DB's. Most HS LB's are more traditional LB's (think B1G and the $EC), and that is what they want to continue. The future of this line of thinking, especially in the $EC, will be what changes the new offensive schemes from the Mississippi schools will cause.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Yes, there are areas to pick at, but I stand by the claim about the overall 3-year rolling classes of the last 10 years. But I agree, I never knew what Orlando's goal with LB recruiting. Seemed to be move DEs back or big safeties forward.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Moore is not a 100% lock but it seems like it's happening. Besides the legal issues with him, there may be some attitude adjustment needed too. I think a couple of the defensive guys might have taken some stuff out on Moore in scrimmages. I think it was Overshown who blasted him. But we will see. Moore sounds like he is aware of his issues and is working on them - has a positive attitude on social media at least
    I do like him as a player (he had that great play against USC). And I think he has 3 years to play.

Should be cued up here (1:45) -- and stay with it for the great Way call on the Wheeler td - lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. BurntOrangeLH

Hello, Bijan, Keontay and Roschon.

17. BurntOrangeLH

IF so, I see Rattler in the portal.

18. BurntOrangeLH

Cade Brewer in the portal? I do not think so.
    TFB says Thompson to CB.

19. BurntOrangeLH

I think Moore made one immensely stupid mistake and seems to be owning it and the consequences. If so, he has a chance to return. Otherwise, Herman would have said AMF.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Brewer and Thompson were part of the 2017 class, like Sam

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I expected more Roschoncat in 2019

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Another potential GT WR - Rico Bussey from UNT - had 1,017 receiving yards and 12 TDs in 2018 -- BC liked his tweet

• Like Like x 1
  23. BurntOrangeLH

Aha! Missed that caveat.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

In my opinion, the linebacker play should be better with Ossai being let loose from the end position and wrecking shop in the backfield forcing hesitation and changes of direction from the running backs and qb’s. That simple change would have made a world of difference last year, and should have been obvious fro the end of the year before, in particular the sugar bowl. Ossai is a difference maker that makes everyone else better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

But is he a doooooooooooood...?

26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i could see us running spread all day long with two slots and no TE. I don't mean every play, but you can single set spread with jake and jwhit 20 plays a game. then use jwhit in a jet sweep from that so he is KINDA an RB from the slot.

lots of reasons it works without hurting anyone's feelings. :I

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

And I wouldn't blame him a bit if he does enter the portal. He has paid his dues at Zero U and waited his turn patiently. If they bring in another transfer, he would lose his chance to start - and there is some other school out there that would give him that chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  29. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I wish they would

30. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I for one think real highly of CT at QB...but competition is about to get real hot.

• Agree Agree x 1