2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

What a leader. I absolutely love this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Just for giggles look at the #30 guy on the 247 Texas list and where he is ranked nationally and what his ranking is.

This year the #30 player is Marcus Strippling who is rated .9093 He is ranked #245 nationally. I could virtually stay in the top 50 nationally every year. Even with the fact that 50% likely won't pan out, I'm still likely putting on the field an entire offense and defense of 5'star guys.

This is my point. I love my state as much as anyone, but if you or anyone thinks that Texas is superior to the rest of the country, you are pursuing an argument you can't possibly win.

Now if we factor in that no one is going to get the rest of the United States, you argument still don't hold much water. Bama continues to kill it in recruiting and basically takes maybe 1 or two guys a year from Texas. I would dare say if he made the choice to not take any one from Texas and he would still put up an all-star lineup. Same with Clemson.

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Can we not have this silly argument? Perhaps we can all agree the best of all worlds is to get as many great ones from Texas as possible while also getting extra great ones from elsewhere? After all, all of our most storied teams had at least some starters and stars that weren't homegrown (I'll grant you, 1963 seems to be almost entirely Texas kids).

Jim Bertelsen, Wisconsin
    Freddy Steinmark, Colorado
    Bobby Mitchell, Colorado
    Mike Buchanan, Missouri
    Mossy Cade, Arizona
    Tony Edwards, Missouri
    June James, Missouri
    Jeff Leiding, Oklahoma
    Adam Schreiber, Alabama
    Eric Hall, Tennessee
    Lyle Sendlein, Arizona
    Kasey Studdard, Colorado

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like Zach Evans did not make it in to aggy for their big Super Bowl bash
    Which, if you dont already know, was in the HALL OF CHAMPIONS!
    aggy is, of course, extremely butthurt over the party snub, convinced there must be cheating afoot
    Shots fired
    [bad word warning below]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  7. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Well said Keondre. Not sure why if you pick one school over the other its like you stole a kidney from someone. Everyone of the kids that signs at a school says it was family or they connected with the coaches. Like a famous coach once said, "when you get to the end zone, have some class and act like you have been there before". Class and respect has left the world with the advent of social media. The horns down thing is so weak and disrespectful. Grow up.

8. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Im not saying the Texas team would throttle your rest of America team. You get 11 starters on each side of the ball. Im not going to literally break down the 120 top players for Texas over the last 4 years versus the top 120 nationally, but you cant tell me the Texas team won't be loaded.

The point is, you could literally recruit only Texas, and if you get the top players every single year, youre gonna be in playoff contention.

That said, we all know coaching is what makes the difference.

9. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Just more confirmation that recruits read these boards. Should be a reminder for everyone to be respectful towards these kids.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Unless you are in his peer group or a family friend, directly communicating on social media with a recruit or his family is just not a good idea. Even positive messages reek to me of desperation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Agreed. How many 40 year old guys follow other teenagers, and how many of those follows would the normal human being see as being creepy at best? The same ought to apply to football players, I think.

12. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

slowly changes browser window to do some unfollo....i mean work.

• Hot Hot x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some quotes from Henderson on position --
    "The coaches showed me how they would use me in their offense if me playing quarterback didn’t work because I would initially go to UT to play quarterback but if it doesn’t work I know I’ll still play a huge role in the offense."
    "Basically what Lil Jordan did. Wildcat QB, RB, WR, Slot, a real life ATH."

Note from Holland on him --
    Michael Henderson is an 'intriguing' athlete who should probably be a four-star. Not as athletic as Ja'Quinden Jackson, doesn't project cleanly to a position. Too short for a TE, lots of work to do if he wants to be a QB.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5-star ILB Justin "Babyman" Flowe (6'2,225) from Calif --

“I like coach (Tom) Herman. “I really like him. He’s a good coach and I could see myself playing for him. They’ve been recruiting me really, really hard. They’ve really been on my tail recruiting me.”
    Holland says --
    Justin Flowe's tape is incredible, he tore it up at the opening. Will be a tough pull, he has some interest in Texas and will make a visit.
    Justin Flowe, Upland, Inside Linebacker

• Like Like x 2
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like we are setting up a big recruiting weekend for Feb 16-17

This is 2020 RB D'Aunte Prevost from Arlington Bowie

DE Martez Poynter from Trinity Catholic High School in St. Louis

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of Ja'Quinden Jackson, EJ Holland says Jackson is among our top two "most important recruits in 2020" along with Zach Evans. He thinks landing Jackson would help open up DFW recruiting for us.
    "Has the talent to be the next Cam Newton"

And he calls Zach Evans "a generational prospect." Says he can do anything, built like a thoroughbred, best RB prospect he's ever seen in this job

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And now here is Inside Texas on jumbo ath/QB Michael Henderson --

" .... Duncanville quarterback Ja'Quinden Jackson would be an anomaly in any other class, but humans are evolving at a rapid pace, presumably to give us a fighting chance versus AI. Michael Henderson is from the same lab that produced Jackson. These are plus-sized athletes capable of playing quarterback and damn near anywhere else - receiver, tight end/h-back, linebacker, and even on the edge.

Henderson missed most of his junior year due to injuries but you may recall a thread where our collective tongues were hanging over his sophomore tape due to his sheer athleticism.

Henderson visited UT this weekend and showed up leaner than I expected but in a good way. I asked how tall he is and heard 6-foot-2.5 from a source other than Henderson. His weight isn't a concern because it will come on in as many layers as he needs but I did wonder how much area he had to distribute it. He's more dense than I thought and that does change the evaluation a bit
    Texas has Hudson Card committed, who has ownership over a bunch of natural passing traits, but it doesn't have a true force of nature like Henderson or Jackson.

Absent clear fits you can see how this next cycle might get interesting. It shouldn't be a concern but I asked Henderson how UT saw him if quarterback didn't work.

"Basically what Lil Jordan did. Wildcat QB, RB, WR, Slot, a real life ATH."

I love that term because a real life athlete is easy to get on the field.

Texas is prioritizing with Derek Warehime making repeated visits to his school. My read is this is a Texas/OU battle, but Henderson also likes TCU and A&M....."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

You take all the best players from California and I’ll take all the best players from Texas, and I bet we beat you 41-38.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2020 DB Xavion Alford from Pearland Shadow Creek

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TE/WR Bayne Tryon (6'3,205) from Cy-Fair

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4-star S from AZ, with family in Austin

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

More opportunity in Calif with both USC and UCLA experiencing 'issues'

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

:lmao:

• Like Like x 1
  29. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Hello... Hello...Hello...Hello...Hello...Hello...Hello...........Hmmm, nobody at the big aggy Super Bowl watching party. Nothing but echos! The floors look clean though.

• Funny Funny x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2020 DB Ryan Watts (6'2,187) from Little Elm