2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Omiere measured out at 6'3.5, 217 at the Opening last weekend

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Something recent from Eric Nahlin on George and Evans --

DAMIEON GEORGE
    "The Javonne Shepherd comparison gets more eerie by the camp of North Shore's giant. He moves well, though he's very raw and doesn't play with the strength he has due to flawed fundamentals. But, the traits are there.

I chatted up SB Nation's Bud Elliott a lot over the course of the day. I think Elliott has a good eye and when it was mentioned that George and Zach Evans were a packaged deal he wasted no time opining, "I'd take him anyway." Like I said, the traits are all there.

What he showed in camp today: "That I can pass block, I can dominate the person in front of me, and I can finish my blocks."

On a top-three: "Alabama, Georgia, and LSU."...."

ZACH EVANS
    The aforementioned Bud Elliott put in two Crystal Balls for Texas after talking with prospects on Sunday: one for Vernon Broughton and the other for Zach Evans. Thanks Bud, come to Texas more often.

My stance on Evans remains the same: I'll take UT over any individual school, but I'd take the field over UT.

Evans is truly all over the place with the schools he likes, though if there's a constant, other than wanting to play with Damieon George, it would be he always circles back to liking Texas. That's good for Texas because he seems to always have a flavor of the month. Of late he's been fond of Clemson ....

Texas of course has a lot going for it. He mentioned the importance of S&C and singled out Yancy McKnight for his energy. He also mentioned distance, "I don't want to go to a school that's three flights away and I can't get my grandma there."

And of course, there's the packaged deal. On he and George playing together: "It ain't no ifs ands or buts, it ain't no last minute changes."

He frequently mentions wanting to sign with a good offensive line class and quarterback. He mentioned not knowing Logan Parr real well, but knowing of him. He speaks with Hudson Card pretty frequently. He knows Chad Lindberg well but quickly adds but he's not committed to Texas (Evans seems to think Lindberg will end up in Austin, though).

This ride will be every bit as wild as I predicted long ago ..."

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From Inside Texas (Justin) --
    A CRAZY GUESS:
    2020 Trinity (St. Louis, MO) four-star slot/APB Mookie Cooper signing with Texas in mid-December wouldn’t really shock me. UT is still recruiting the four-star slot and he's very open to playing in Austin. Store this for later.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Jason Suchomel in Chad Lindberg --

Clear Creek offensive lineman Chad Lindberg said his recent Stanford visit went well. Before that visit, he said he had Stanford as a possible top three and that visit solidified his thinking. Texas would be another school in his top three and several others are fighting for that last spot. As for Texas and Stanford … “I think about it a lot and which one is ahead, and I just can’t tell.” Lindberg will be at UT’s spring game next month.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Bud Elliot (FSU/SBNation guy) put in a CB for Kelee Ringo and OL Chad Lindberg to Texas

This was after he attended one of the regional camps

• Like Like x 7
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Something from 247 Texas on Alfred Collins --

Four-star defensive lineman Alfred Collins mentioned Texas, (aggy), ou, Alabama and Notre Dame as the schools that stood out to him this spring. Collins did say that he grew up a UT fan and that Texas is “in his blood.” He plans to visit (aggy) for its spring game, and he would like to get back to Austin for a spring practice. Texas is pitching him as an end. Collins wants to make some spring official visits, and he currently has no timeline set for his decision. Collins has called Texas his leader in the past, but no one should discount the chances for (ou/aggy) in this race.​

• Like Like x 4
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5-star Bijan Robinson (6'0,200) from Salpointe Catholic (AZ) will be in for the Spring Game. #5 RB and #26 overall per 247S Composite

“I’m actually visiting Texas with my coaches. We are going out there just to check it out and see if I like it. I just want to see the players and what kind of relationships they have with the coaches. I just want to vibe with everybody. I’m excited to talk to Coach (Tim) Beck and everyone.”

“I talk to Coach Beck all the time. That’s who I really talk to a lot. Coach Beck is the man. I love his personality and how outgoing he is. He’s a great recruiter and knows how to get players to his school.”

“I talk to Jake Smith and them all the time. I just talk to them about the recruiting process and how they love Texas. I just want to get my own feel for it.”

“Austin is just a great city. I really like the tradition at Texas. I also like what they are doing right now with the come up. That’s really impacting me.”

• Like Like x 10
  9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like a good get if we can nab him. :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Love it JF, keep bringing the news!

• Like Like x 1
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Hold on. Are these 5* the players that Jimbo wants? Because that is what I read on texags as an important factor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

throwback

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Inside Texas on DL and LB recruiting --

DL-
    IN GOOD STANDING: Vernon Broughton, Alfred Collins: Two of the absolute biggest needs in the class and I wouldn't be against UT landing both. Broughton has named UT his leader. We believe he'll stay within a comfortable drive of home. UT leads for Collins as well but OU and A&M are making this one more interesting than fans would like. The staff doesn't seem to share the same concern, though of course they aren't taking him for granted. My guess is they felt comfortable enough with him to tell him to take his time. That approach has backfired in the past, but more often than not it endears a player to a staff.

WORK TO DO: Princely Umanmielen, Jason Harris: A&M has made things interesting with Princely. They've told him he should play in a four-man front when, truth be told, with him it doesn't matter. Compounding the issue is he thinks Omenihu would have been much more productive in a four-man front. What he needs to understand is Omenihu's versatility will get him paid just the same. We'll see how well UT can overcome this. Three-man vs four-man isn't a deal breaker. Now with Harris, he should definitely be in a four-man front unless he plays B-backer.

NUMBERS CRUNCH: James Sylvester, Branard Wright
    -----------------------------------

LB
    IN GOOD STANDING: Prince Dorbah, Josh White: Dorbah's your B-backer and UT leads. He couldn't ask for a better fit and the longer he waits the more Ossai will make that clear to him. He'll be a quick responder to S&C but needs to add weight. White's in the mold of linebackers Scipio spelled out a while back: undersized but with the necessary movement skills for the Big 12.

WORK TO DO: Justin Flowe, Sav'ell Smalls, Brennon Scott: Flowe is as high on a school as he can be without having visited it. We expect he and his brother to visit in the next month or so. Watch Clemson and Alabama there but maybe he wants a shorter flight. Smalls has also offered positives on UT without having visited. We'll need to check back in with him but it'll be tough to pull him from the hometown Washington Huskies. Watch all the bluebloods with him. We could put Scott in 'good standing' but we think the staff will want to retain optionality, at least until Flowe visits and they get a feel for him. I'd bring as many of these guys in for JMBLYA as I can to experience Austin, then get them back for fall official visits to experience game day.

NUMBERS CRUNCH: Robert Wooten: Good, explosive edge player with heavy hands, he just has Dorbah in front of him.

Fridays in the Humidor - 3/22/19 - Inside Texas

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4-star S Chris Thompson

• Like Like x 3
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is Texas 247 on a few players, including a couple of new names. This is after Houston Regional of The Opening which is an event that features dozens of top in-state prospects over the 2020, 2021 and 2020 cycles.

Princely Umanmielen was 247Sports' top performer on the defensive side of the ball. At 6-foot-4, 256 pounds, Umanmielen registered a 4.41 second short shuttle and 34.7 inch vertical jump before showing well in drills and 1-on-1's. The Manor (Texas) product has positional versatility, lining up at both five technique and 3 technique and using his quickness and length to beat offensive linemen. This follows a strong showing at the Under Armour event in Houston earlier in the offseason. His Crystal Ball is currently split between Oklahoma (2 picks) and Texas (1 pick). The move: Umanmielen jumps from a three-star and No. 528 overall up to No. 180 and the No. 11 strongside defensive end in the 2020 cycle.

You probably haven't heard of Gruver, Texas. The Texas panhandle town with a population of 1,194 is closer to Denver than Dallas. Look for college coaches to start making the trek to Gruver during the evaluation period to see defensive end/athlete Jalin Conyers. While Conyers wasn't at the The Opening regional, he's a prospect on the rise in Texas and has made a quick impression on both 247Sports and college staffs. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder is a highly versatile player and overall athlete. He plays all over the field for Gruver, lining up at quarterback, wide receiver and linebacker–making big plays at each spot. The athleticism and size are intriguing and further backed up on the basketball court, where Conyers is capable of throwing down windmill dunks. With offers in hand from Missouri, Texas Tech and Louisiana, don't be surprised to see Conyers' recruitment explode in short order. The move: Conyers makes his debut within the Top247 as the No. 212 overall prospect.

Running back John Gentry (3-star) has flown under the radar as the backup to Zachary Evans at powerhouse North Shore in Houston. But make no mistake, the 5-foot-10, 186-pounder is a high-level prospect in his own right. Gentry showed an impressive all-around skill set at The Opening regional with effortless cutting and change of direction in open field drills. He was one of the few backs that could change direction without having to gear down. Gentry also catches the ball cleanly and posted strong numbers during the athletic testing portion. Gentry, who holds offers from Arkansas, North Texas, UNLV and Utah State moves up to a high three-star with a grade of 89 and could claim a fourth star with a strong senior season

Athleticism is an overlooked but pivotal evaluation point on the offensive line. Chad Lindberg, Akinola Ogunbiyi and Damieon George all checked in at their heaviest weights to date and posted less than ideal testing numbers to varying degrees. Each slides back relative to their prior rankings.

Vernon Broughton has an impressive frame, carrying 286 pounds. Relatively new to football, Broughton is raw as a player but also wasn't as explosive as we expected. We're still high on his upside, but feel a slide back within the Top247 is merited.

Five-Star Friday: Demas makes his move, 3 Top247 additions

Chad Linberg is now #28 in-state and 247 moved Damien George all the way out of their in-state Top 100 (to 106)
    2020 Top Football Recruits in Texas

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  17. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

JoeFan, I know you get a ton of thanks but I want to add mine. You provide so much information on a daily basis that the only recruiting research I do is reading your posts on Hornfans- and with that I probably know more than I would from paying for recruiting sites.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  18. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Ditto JF!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

DBU baby !!!

• Like Like x 4
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Kelee Ringo hits 5th fastest in AZ prep history in his first race of track season

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

:puke:
    (you might also note the choice of backdrop pic)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From EJ Holland --

A lot of people have pegged four-star Arlington athlete Jahari Rogers to Oklahoma due to his ties to the program. But Texas has done a tremendous job recruiting him over the last month. Rogers was expected to attend the OU spring game on April 13, but he is now leaning towards heading to Austin. Texas is recruiting Rogers as a cornerback. He is aiming at a summer decision.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

aggy and Jimbo lost another recruit
    4-star safety with an ironic name
    That's a shame

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I always thought Major Frank Burns was a classic fit for aggy. The only thing he did that would make him an aggy outsider is to bang the head nurse instead of the local livestock.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Regardless of school choice, I don't understand #greatful. DND until spell checking text messages.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Would be so great if his middle name really were Frank

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

EJ Smith
    "Texas has offered one of the more intriguing recruits in the 2020 class.
    Smith has the potential to play running back or slot receiver at the next level. He could fill the role left by four-star athlete Mookie Cooper, who recently backed out of his pledge.....Smith is the son of former Dallas Cowboys running back and NFL Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, who attended Florida. ...Smith has yet to make a visit to Texas but could in the near future. ... At 5-foot-11, 198 pounds, Smithis ranked as the No. 3 all-purpose back and No. 97 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite."

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  28. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'd just make it his new nickname. Then it's implied

29. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

Dear Aggie ‘build a fence pinhead’. Does the moronic chant “SEC, SEC, SEC” ring a familiar note? Like Coach Royal said, “it ain’t what they eat that bothers you. It’s what the fall in F-up that’s a bother”

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So...is part of this an indirect way of signaling that Major Burns is likely heading to TCU...? :smokin: :popcorn: