2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

On a related note, we had Major Applewhite, now there's Major Burns. Creative naming parents will have to switch to "General" to outrank all these Majors running around.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB on rumors of negative recruiting of Texas with DL prospects --

"There is some unrest among the Longhorn Nation with rumors swirling that Texas may no longer be sitting pretty for a few of their main Defensive Line targets.

I cannot confirm nor deny those rumors. What I can confirm is what is being pitched to these players while they are on campus. Texas A&M, in particular, is doing a very good job of selling Defensive Linemen on a scheme difference between the two programs.

After speaking with a player that has visited College Station this spring, I was told that it is being emphasized to visiting DL prospects that Texas DC Todd Orlando prefers for his Linemen to be guys that occupy blockers to free up the Linebackers. In contrast, A&M is recruiting guys that they want to turn loose to be able to get up the field and create havoc in opposing backfields. A&M is selling players on being the next Myles Garrett (#1 pick) and the opportunity to play in the perceived best conference.

If you were a teenage Defensive Line recruit, with the goal of playing in the NFL one day, which option would be more appealing to you? Texas is still very much in the picture for both of these guys, but it is going to be tougher than many may have realized."

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB on the upcoming visit of 5-star RB Bijan Robinson (by Super K)

2020 RB, Bijan Robinson (Salpointe Catholic HS, AZ) is one of the best running backs in the country.

I had a chance to see Robinson a couple months back and very well put together RB who comes from an athletic pedigree. His father played at Arizona. His grandfather happens to be a PAC 12 official.

Robinson’s head coach, Dennis Bene tells me that he and two assistant coaches from the Salpointe Catholic staff will accompany Bijan on an unofficial visit to Texas for the April 13th Spring game.

The visit will be an unofficial visit. That’s pretty significant given the fact that some of the other schools he’s interested have not and according to his mother, will not, receive an unofficial visit.

He will be accompanied by his Salpointe Catholic teammate, 2021 offensive tackle Jonah Miller, who unofficially visited for a junior day earlier this year.

I’ll have more on Robinson soon.

A one two punch of Bijan and Zach Evans could be quite devastating.

Open Post | Tuesday, March 26th - The Football Brainiacs - UT Edition

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

No Oklahoma schools in this kid's top ten ...

Texas making a huge impression on 4-star Oklahoma WR Javian Heste

“Texas is in my top 10 because of the coaches,” Hester said of why Texas made his top list. “Coach Herman and Coach Mehringer, those guys are very funny and cool, I like being around them. Also, Texas loves to throw the ball, especially to big receivers like me; so I think I’d fit in perfectly. I also love the facilities. They have everything I need to improve my game and make me a dominant force.”

• Like Like x 2
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some quotes from Jahari Rogers (6'0, 170) - #32 CB in the country and No. 57 overall prospect in the state per the 247 Composite --

“Texas is top three for sure. Probably top two. It’s just because of the relationships I have with them. The campus is beautiful. The program is on the rise. It’s Texas. Who wouldn’t want to go to Texas? That’s the place to be.”

“My relationships with Coach Samples and Coach Washington are amazing. Those two dudes are the two best recruiters that are recruiting me right now. I speak highly of Texas because of them. Coach Samples gives me the real deal. I feel comfortable with them.”

“I’m going to play cornerback. I like being on an island. I like locking down the best players. That’s what I feel like I can be really good at and where I can make my money at. That’s the position I feel like I can play.”

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is Eric Nahlin on the competition between us, aggy and ou for a few common recruits --

RB Zach Evans (North Shore): As I've long stated, this recruitment is going to be wild. That insight doesn't require anything more than an understanding of supply and demand. There is no like-for-like replacement for a school that misses on him. Unsurprisingly, he has every school in the nation after him, and he's considering each of the three schools we're discussing. Of the three, Texas is probably the most likely, but he'll have a thorough process with numerous trips across the country.

LB Prince Dorbah (Highland Park): Dorbah has a unique fit as an outside, pass-rushing linebacker which puts him right in UT's wheelhouse of B-backer. Texas is the prohibitive favorite but OU and others are after him. He'll be a ballerina at 240 pounds.

DE Alfred Collins (Bastrop Cedar Creek): Much has been made of Collins being a Longhorn legacy thanks to his mother's hoops career, but he hasn't appeared to be a UT slam dunk. Some of that could be that he isn't a slam dunk, some of that could be he's a private, hard to read kid. Regardless, both OU and A&M are competing for the high upside defensive end's signature. Collins is also entertaining Notre Dame and Alabama.

DL Vernon Broughton (Cypress Ridge): Guys like him make evaluation fun. Evaluate what he is now at your own risk, I have a strong inkling of what he'll be in a couple of years. UT has been the front-runner by Broughton's own admission, but other schools are making a push for him including A&M and LSU. This is a recruitment I cautioned could get interesting, again, as the roller-coaster is powered by demand. Broughton seems in no hurry to make a decision.

DL Princely Umanmielen (Manor): I've been higher on Princely than anybody, but anyone projecting him as an edge-turning defensive end are selling bridges to nowhere. He's a disruptive force, but more so slanting and stunting rather than running the arc. Tons of upside, especially as he comfortably carries 285 pounds. His recruitment appears to be a Mexican standoff between UT, OU, and A&M but he's likely considering other schools.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

DE Vernon Broughton (Cy Ridge) will be attending our spring game.

DE Alfred Collins (Bastrop-Cedar Creek) will be at Texas' scrimmage this weekend.

2021 OL Hayden Conner also visiting for the Spring game.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I have no idea if we are heavily pursuing 'Big Bear' or not, but you've just got to like this guy.

'BIG BEAR with another tackle for loss.' When he's in a slump the announcers will say he's gone into hibernation. Baylor, UCLA, and Cal are our main competition in his recruitment. Maybe Steve McMichael can put in a good word for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Our Spring Game is on the same day as aggy. One is day, one at night so recruits could make both if they wanted. But still, it poses an interesting choice for many of them. And, of course, another chance to lol at aggy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

What’s the latest chatter on some of these 5*? Particularly Ringo?

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Edge rusher visiting this weekend from Missouri

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

My intelligence reports may be slightly dated, but I hear we are getting "errrbody".

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wrote about this OL 3 weeks ago^ His did not play OL full time until his junior year, and has been blowing up the camp circuit.
    Coach Hand has been in touch and invited him to campus for some practices.
    Anderson was born in Austin and is interested
    He is currently ranked just outside the Top 100 in the nation per 247
    It's possible both Anderson and Tosh Baker (OT from AZ) are better options to Damian George, but George comes with ties that bind.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I've written alot about Ringo the last 4-5 pages. He spent his entire Spring Break on campus, on his own dime. His position coach is Bryant Westbrook. We are the only school he has visited more than once.....

This was probably my favorite comment, from Chad Johnson Jr

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From Inside Texas --
    DL Maason Smith, Terrebonne HS (Houma, LA) (2021) - The 6-foot-4, 300-pound interior monster is really something to watch. With offers from Alabama, LSU, Florida, and ou among the group, he's not a secret in the tiny oilfield town. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas offered this weekend.
    Maason Smith, Terrebonne, Defensive Tackle

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Weekend visitors

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (2020)
    LB Jaqwondis Burns, Terrell (2020)
    DL Blake Burris, Irving McArthur (2020)
    DL Jaquelin Roy, University Lab (LA) (2020)
    DE DeSanto Rollins, Parkview Baptist (Baton Rouge, LA) (2020)
    ATH Joel Williams, Madison Prep (Baton Rouge, LA) (2020)
    LB Brennon Scott, Dallas Bishop Dunne (2020)
    DL Maason Smith, Terrebonne HS (Houma, LA) (2021)
    DTKeithian "Bear" Alexander, Terrell (2022)

• Like Like x 2
  19. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

JF, it’s been said before, but I’ll say it again. You are the man

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Amen! The recruiting forum should be renamed the Joe Fan recruiting forum. JF without you I might have to actually work rather than spending time on this forum.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Without JF, the recruiting threads would be empty, bleak and irrelevant.
    JF is the MAN!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He got the offer today
    Our first 2022 offer

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  23. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 5
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Being called a sip is hilarious to me. Are we supposed to be offended? I am a sip and a t-shirt fan. A real loser I guess.

:idk:

• Like Like x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I never really got the t-shirt fan aggy insult. They are pointing out we are more popular than them, and sell more merchandise. Yet somehow that makes them feel good about themselves.

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I went to TU; Trinity University. When I was in high school my parents pushed a small college (student-teacher ratio; % of PH. D's etc) plus all my high school friends seemed to select either UT or A&M. My thing was to go somewhere where I didn't know anyone. I wanted a clean slate; an entirely different culture and I figured I'd drift to my old friends at UT. Nothing against them but I needed a break. I was accepted at UT and sometimes regret not attending but Trinity was a great experience and my memories are priceless. Of course, I probably would have loved UT equally as much.

As for the t-shirt fan insult, I liken it to the political environment. You have the avowed Left and Right and then the moderates. I'm the moderate and when I choose the Longhorns then I'm rejecting the Aggies. They know it. That's what it really is all about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Another thing I find interesting is how Aggies insult UT for being Liberal. But how many blacks voted for Obama? 90%? It's as if they don't understand anything. Are they insulting black people when they insult UT for being Liberal? Yet who are they recruiting? I'm not sure I've ever seen a fan base as detached from the players as A&M appears to be. It's amazing they do as well as they do in recruiting but I guess the cult appeals to some in ways the rest of us will never understand.

30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Question: Do HS kids really select aggy to attend or do they go there because they got the letter from UT informing them they aren't "UT Good"?

• Funny Funny x 1