2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

247's Mike Roach on Kitan Crawford --

—I had the opportunity to see Kitan Crawford in action today at Nike’s 11-On event. Crawford played receiver and corner during the day, and he showed off some fluid ability. Crawford’s speed is well known, and he won the fastest man competition during the event by clocking a 4.4. Crawford blends that explosive ability with elite quickness and change of direction. He’s still raw when it comes to his technique, but he shows natural ability in coverage.
    —I can’t say enough how good this eval was for Jason Washington and the Texas staff. In a year where the corner position was made up of hybrid players and raw athletes, Crawford has the potential to emerge as one of the best defensive back prospects in-state for this class. That early offer put the Longhorns in a strong position from the start, and that will pay dividends if Texas can close the deal.
    The Stampede: Insider notes from Texas' satellite camps

• Like Like x 3
  2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

247 says it ain’t happening :catfight:

3. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

So it’s happening or nah?

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well is he is or is he isn't?

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Is we is or is we ain't? come on now

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

sounds like he made it. Wonder if Bijan coming for his ov this weekend made him rethink the situation.

8. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

I hope he takes a mature look at the entire picture.
    Difficult to do at that age, when you just know you’re going to be a top 5 draft pick in 3 years.
    I wonder how TH compares him to Zeke

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  9. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

If he is there I'm thinking Saban drove him there, and it is for recruiting purposes.

I'm hoping our coaches are all in on Bijan Robinson. It would be ashamed to let Evans screw up what we have with Robinson.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Reading the tea leaves and getting inside the mind of a 17 year old thrust into the national spotlight is always difficult. Of course, I'd like to sign them both, but we ought to sign at least one. (There are other good RBs out there, but I don't think anyone on our radar is in the same ballpark as these two). If we end up in the position of having to put our eggs in one basket or the other ...

I'll throw out a few facts to work with, come to your own conclusions:

Both Bijan and Evans are among the very best RBs in the country.

Evans cancelled a previous unofficial visit because some band cancelled their concert in Austin that weekend.

Evans has previously indicated he's basically tied to the hip of his OL teammate who's going to Bama.

Put this one in the speculation or opinion category: A poster on these boards has claimed there is a bitter feud between Northshore players and Duncanville players, and that Northshore guys don't want to play with Duncanville guys in college. Fact: We've signed one Duncanville guy. I believe we will likely will sign another.

Evans is from Texas while Bijan is not--for what that's worth.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Just thinking about it make me a bit queasy
    I hope we know what we are doing

FWIW, he wont be at the pool party, he will be at tOSU -- or that is where he is supposed to be. But I suppose anything is possible with him and visits
    Nation's Top RB Zachary Evans Will Be At Ohio State This Weekend

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We will have several of our top DB targets on campus this weekend

• Like Like x 3
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I keep seeing smoke about USC and the Urban
    Have no idea if there is anything to it, but it keeps popping up
    Sort of makes me hope Helton has a decent year and hangs on

ps - Mike Roach thinks this pic was a violation

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Probably the best thing (from our recruiting perspective and that of the PAC schools) is for USC to have a number of 8-9 win seasons in a row. Normally, not enough to can the coach, but leaving them as a perpetual also-ran. Helton could then become the R.C. Slocum of USC.

However, USC may be the kind of place where a number of 8-9 win seasons in a row might get you canned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The view on S Lathan Ransom from a couple of the LSU/247 guys --

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some Mike Roach/247 on the visit --

" .... It’s clear that the staff wanted to keep this visit relatively quiet, but a report that Evans was on campus earlier in the day had to be addressed.
    —I’m told the visit went well enough for a quick unofficial. Evans came in with a teammate and spent some time with the coaching staff. I wouldn’t expect Texas to be right back in the mix at the top of his list, but it’s clear they are keeping the lines of communication open.....
    —..... On the downside, this is potential fodder that could be used against Texas in their pursuit of five-star running back Bijan Robinson. Robinson is set to officially visit Texas this weekend, and he’s coming off of big trips to Ohio State and USC. It wouldn’t be surprising to see those two schools put this in his ear to plant some doubt in his mind. I’ve reported that there is some confidence at Texas in landing Robinson, and I’ve heard the same from sources near Robinson. If gambling on Evans goes poorly and chases off Robinson, it would obviously be a big hit.
    --On the other hand, aggressive staffs should keep recruiting until they win over an elite. As many of you pointed out today, Robinson is also taking visits and considering options. Putting eggs into one basket could also result in a disastrous ending. I did speak with a source near Robinson today who thought he wouldn’t be that bothered by these developments. The Texas staff will also be able to show Robinson that he’s a huge priority when they host him this weekend. ...."

Mike at Night: Thoughts on Zach Evans' visit

• Like Like x 2
  18. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Time to Fire up the Huff Lambo ...

LAMBO.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Trust me. It will. And very soon. The issue at USC might be money. They’re paying out massive legal settlements at the moment, related to their medical school.

Just as Texas won’t tolerate 8-9 win seasons, neither will USC. Like us, they have very high expectations. And like us, they should.

I believe that they are hanging with Helton at the moment because of the financial constraints. Of course, if he reverses course, all bets are off.

21. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There are several unexpected visitors who showed up for the big pool party this weekend. I'll wait to post the list until someone puts it all together so it can all go into one post.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

FWIW, we are currently sitting in great shape with many of the top 2021s. A good 2019 season on the field will probably have more of an effect on them than the 2020s.

DE Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek
    ATH Kitan Crawford, Tyler John Tyler
    OL Courtland Ford, Cedar Hill
    DE Van Fillinger, Corner Canyon in Draper, Utah
    QB Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville
    DE Jalen Logan-Redding, Rock Bridge, Missouri
    LB Kalel Mullings, Milton Academy, Mass (unclear yet if he made it)
    DT Octavious Oxendine, North Hardin, Kentucky
    OL Logan Parr, San Antonio O'Connor
    CB Kelee Ringo, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ) (unclear yet if he made it)
    RB Bijan Robinson, Tuscon Salpointe Catholic, Arizona
    ATH Jahari Rogers, Arlington
    S Bryson Washington, Houston C.E. King
    LB Len'Neth Whitehead, Athens Academy, Georgia (unclear yet if he made it)
    WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas, Calif

OT Savion Byrd, Duncanville
    ATH Reid Carrico, Ironton, Ohio
    ATH Juan Davis, Everman
    CB Tony Grimes, Virginia Beach, Virginia
    QB Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins
    TE Lake McRee, Austin Lake Travis
    DE Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan
    LB Clayton Smith, Texarkana Texas High

RB Landon Hullaby, Dallas Bishop Dunne
    LB Jordan Crook, Dallas Bishop Dunne
    CB Denver Harris, Galena Park North Shore
    RB Emeka Megwa, Fort Worth Nolan Catholic

edit- did not make it - stuck in Columbus Ohio > 2021 DE Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is 247 on Crawford -- he is a terrific athlete
    ........Jason Washington was one of the first major coaches to see the skill in Crawford, and going in early paid off for Texas. Crawford is the first secondary commit in the Texas class, and the first defensive player the Longhorns landed this year.........
    At 5-foot-11, 200 pounds, Crawford is ranked as the No. 11 athlete in the nation and No. 31 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.
    Texas is still chasing several secondary targets in the 2020 class. Arlington high school cornerback Jahari Rogers is on campus for his official visit this weekend and is a priority target for Jason Washington . Texas is also working on five-star Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro cornerback Kelee Ringo, three-star Aldine MacArthur cornerback Joshua Eaton, four-star Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford, four-star C.E. King safety Bryson Washington and four-star Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic safety Lathan Ransom."
    Four-star cornerback Crawford is the latest to commit to Texas

• Like Like x 3
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Inside Texas breakdown of cornerback Kitan Crawford --

How he fits at Texas: Crawford is a really smooth, legit 4.4 athlete whose corner film shows him turning and running with guys with no apparent effort to stay on top of their routes. That’s useful in Texas’ quarters defense, where CBs need to be able to stay over the top on the sideline without help. He has big-time potential at corner, another guy that can probably be trusted to develop into a player that can run with the Big 12’s faster wideouts without needing help over the top. – IB

Coach says:Strengths — Good acceleration with sprinter’s speed. Good balance and nimble with change of direction. Good vision and it looks like there is good space for bulk on his frame. Averaged over 12 yards per carry last season at RB, but his CB film shows fluid hips and his future position. Plus he at least makes an effort to be physical and finish runs. Part of 4×100 relay that posted nation’s fastest time. Areas for Improvement — He’s raw, and needs technique/nuance to his game on defense. A senior year of film at cornerback will do wonders for his confidence, a staple for all great corners.

How he fits at Texas: In the Todd Orlando era, playing with 5-6 DBs on the field is all too common in the Big 12. Crawford has the size/speed for corner, but the tenacity/tackling ability to potentially play nickel as well. That versatility is what really endears Crawford to the Texas staff. At this point, it’s UT and everyone else in his recruitment. Texas likes to take defensive backs with the ability to play multiple positions, and Crawford offers that. At 6-foot, 190, his stock is on the rise. I’m glad Texas knew about him before any other big programs. Living in Tyler has its benefits. – JW

Crawford continues JT to UT pipeline - Inside Texas

• Like Like x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Hey, that’s my house up there. Can you see me at the pool with all those women?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Steve Wiltfong who is 247's "Director Of Recruiting" and who wrongly had Crawford tagged for the SEC (Tennessee), did a bit of a mea culpa post-announcement today by admitting Crawford is the --

"Top corner on several program’s board"
    .... "There is standard being recruited in the secondary under this staff and Kitan fits that mold."

Also, nice, quick work by his high school program here after 9pm on a Friday --

• Like Like x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Other instagram picks show we had Bryan Carrington in the boat next to Robinson.

30. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

That’s what I’d do.
    Tap the left wrist towards the bullpen.

• Like Like x 1