2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

If he comes to Texas, he may end up a LB.

2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I don’t think the kid’s coming to Texas. He’s just wasting our time.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Washington to ou -- possibly the best db in the state in this class
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is Mike Roach's observation from the Opening Finals --
    Four-star St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic athlete Mookie Cooper really passed the eyeball test on initial explosion. His takeoff and ability to reach top speed quickly was incredibly impressive in the early portion of 7v7. Cooper is so quick in small windows that he can break off a route, make the catch and reach top speed before most guys can change direction. His ultimate future will be determined by the way the offense utilizes him at whatever school he chooses.

5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Wow, talk about stupid, if this kid isn't starting as a freshmen he is going to be pissed and likely quit the team. All these kids already have aspirations of going to the NFL and you are saying we suck and we don't have anyone good. So he is coming in thinking it's going to be a cake walk to playing time and if it doesn't happen then he is going to realize he was lied to.

Secondly and probably most important is why the hell would he want to go to a school that squanders DB talent like they do. I did a quick check and it wasn't hard to see that their DB recruiting has been pretty stellar, I'd say if they have no NFL talent it's because they haven't developed their players.

Hell, off the top of my head I can see 5 guys on the Texas roster with legit high end NFL Talent.

Frankly if he is taken by this stupid recruiting BS then he probably isn't smart enough to make it through the University of Texas to begin with.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He probably could have started for that secondary last year

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

If he is that much better than some of their recruits they have brought in then the results will be the same. Their problem isn't talent, they have gotten lots of talent, it's purely development. These guys are going there and not getting better.

It's just like Texas was with our offensive line. We had been getting really good talented guys, but none of them were getting better while they were here.

Now you can see a night and day difference in our offensive line with proper weight training and a great coach leading them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Can't imagine OU's entire defense is going to happy with that quote from their DC...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

LOL, we need to put that quote on a billboard in Norman

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Anybody get the license plate number of the bus the coaches threw the defense under?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Most places have this trending aggy but TFB still likes our chances with DT Vernon Broughton --

“I mean my family can come down, like 2 hours out. They have nice facilities and everything. I’m good with Coach Giles, Coach Herman – I’m really good with them.”

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They say this one is trending to tOSU

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Rogers ran a 3.89 shuttle at The Opening
    Not bad

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some quotes from Princely Umanmielen --

“[Texas] is most definitely up there within my top three — they’re really up there.”

“Coach Giles has been talking to me since I was a freshman, before they offered me. We’ve been building a relationship for a really long time.”

“It’s just that every time that I go there, I really know most of the team so they make me feel like I’m already a part of them just because I know them and I can talk to them.”

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here are a few more of the testing results from The Opening Finals
    Card had a better shuttle than Mookie Cooper

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis - 6-2.5, 176, 4.77 40yd, 4.06 shuttle, 37 powerball, 37.7 vertical, 106.50 SPARQ

WR Mookie Cooper, St. Louis Trinity Catholic - 5-8.5, 191 - 4.53 40yd, 4.07 shuttle, 39 powerball, 36.5 vertical, 120.15 SPARQ

RB Jase McClellan, Aledo - 5-10.5, 202 - 4.59 40yd, 4.04 shuttle, 38 powerball, 39.6 inch vertical, 126.69 SPARQ

S Lathan Ransom, Tucson Salpointe Catholic - 6-0.5, 193, 4.67 40yd, 4.20shuttle, 35 powerball, 37.3 vertical, 103.89 SPARQ

LB Len'neth Whitehead, Athens (Ga.) Athens Academy - 6-1, 226, 4.70 40yd, 4.28 shuttle, 44.5 powerball, 37.2 vertical, 125.28 SPARQ

• Like Like x 1
  16. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Interesting numbers. I'm certainly surprised I've run a faster 40 than Hudson. Although as pointed out, he has an excellent shuttle. Cooper has some interesting numbers too. For someone so short, you would think he would have put in some incredible speed/shuttle/vertical, but nothing stands out. He may be a guy that comes off the field in goal line situations as he's certainly not the next Collin Johnson.

17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm guessing that the field was slow judging by the 40 times. I wouldn't read too much into them. Might have even been a wet field, I know we have had a lot of rain down here recently.

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I think Rogers is an electrifying playmaker who could excel at multiple positions. He is also one of the most underrated players in the class.

We can't be losing him to some seemingly random school like U of Florida. Stick on him staff! (Within the rules of course).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

What we need to do is beat OU in the Big 12 championship game and go to the CFP......it doesn't matter what OU's defense looked like, they win anyway with offense.....our secondary is pretty loaded as is but we're going to lose big time recruiting battles until we start winning all (or almost all) of our games.....that'll cure this "illness"

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Well, in all honesty, we should expect a run pincher to be fast
    Shouldnt we?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And then put that score on a billboard in Norman
    On the inbound and outbound side from the airport
    Or bus station if they dont have an airport, which they may not

22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

So they get a commit from washington, but a decommit from manning. I'll be interesting to see where he ends up. Hopefully he's not serious about becoming an agroid.
    Four-star CB Dontae Manning decommits from Oklahoma

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and on 35 at the border

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4-star S Chris Thompson, Jr. (6'2,195) of Duncanville says he will announce the first week of August. The CBs suggest he will live in an orange house.
    Chris Thompson Jr., Duncanville, Safety

• Like Like x 4
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 3
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

FWIW, Inside Texas thinks LB Prince Dorbah, OL Chad Lindberg and S Chris Thompson, Jr. are all Texas leans, with Dorbah announcing soon.
    They show CB Jahari Rogers and DL Alfred Collins as "slight Texas lean."
    And they think DE Princely Umanmielen of Manor is leaning away from us.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Steve Wiltfong (natl guy) thinks --
    QB Haynes King from Longview will become a 5-star and will pick little ut.
    He also thinks Zach Evans will go aggy.
    Which would suck if true
    ***247Sports National Recruiting Chat***

Tweet quoting Zach Evans with a bad word trigger warning
    This kid is going to be a handful for somebody
    The rumor here is that Alabama's RB coach said he was too immature to start there
    But, honestly, I have no idea if any of this is true

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is Texas 247 "The Stampede" view of where we are at RB recruiting for the 2020s --

RUNNING BACK
    Bijan Robinson, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic
    Robinson is the prized recruit in this class, and there was a lot of optimism coming out of Austin following his official visit in late June. Leading up to the visit, sources near Robinson were confident he would shut things down following his visit to Texas, but Ohio State moved into a major position in this recruitment following their own official visit. I’m told that Ohio State does appear to hold a slight edge, but the race is very close as of now. I was told Robinson could possibly slow his timeline, and that would give Texas more time to establish itself as the leader.

Jase McClellan, Aledo (Committed to Oklahoma)
    McClellan has been committed to Oklahoma for a long time, but he made news by taking an official visit to Texas in June. I spoke to a source very close to McClellan who indicated he is giving some other schools a fair shot in his recruitment. Texas and Alabama were the two schools that really stuck out during that conversation, and I’m told Texas made a big impression on his official visit despite his silence afterward. Oklahoma still has the big advantage, but I was told that McClellan could return to Austin in late July and again for a visit in the fall.

Zachary Evans, North Shore
    The saga continues. After initially leaving Texas and Texas A&M out of his top group in the spring, Evans made unofficial visits to both campuses during the summer. Evans reportedly announced a new top five on Instagram live that included the two in-state rivals last week. All bets are off with Evans at this point, but Texas won’t simply walk away from him right now.

Ty Jordan, West Mesquite
    Jordan’s held an offer for almost a year now, but he hasn’t been in a hurry to do anything. USC and Tennessee both picked up some momentum during spring visits, and it seems the Trojans are trending following those visits. There was a period of time that I felt Texas could have had Jordan if they pressed him more, but it seems they’ve re-engaged the fervor of their recruitment with him. Jordan plans to make an official visit to Austin during the fall, and if Texas gets him on campus and pushes I can see them walking away with his commitment.

Dominic Richardson, Oklahoma City (Okla.) Bishop McGuinness
    Richardson committed to TCU before receiving his Texas offer, but he told Horns247 that he planned to visit Austin after growing up in the San Antonio area as a fan of the Longhorns. Richardson didn’t make it in before the dead period, but he told us over the weekend that he still planned to make a trip when possible. The Longhorns will need to get him on campus to be considered a serious threat, but he’s a name to keep an eye on in the fall.

SECONDARY OPTIONS
    Texas evaluated Manor running back Tahj Brooks throughout the spring.Brooks committed to Texas Tech in late June, but the Longhorns could make things interesting if they choose to enter the picture for the local product.

The Stampede: Outlook of Longhorns' 2020 prospects