2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

?

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4-star DL Alfred Collins from Bastrop supposed to visit next weekend.
    Giles reels in ths fish too, I may have to walk back a few references Ive tossed his way the last couple years

• Like Like x 2
  3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

As of right now, Giles has recruited the top defensive linemen in the state 2 of the last 3 years. And if I remember correctly, Broughton actually credited his relationship with Giles as a big reason for picking Texas

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Youre right that we have had two good or even great classes in a row. And, in fairness, it has not been a great stretch for in-state DLs since Herman has been in Austin. But there have been a couple gems. After those gems, the fall-off was big, thus missing on those couple players was painful. Our best interior DL, Coburn, was not even in the top 10 in state. And Ojomo was outside the top 50 in state. And I would add T’Vondre Sweat to this list because i think he still might be a beast - I never figured out why the recruiting services did not like him because his film was good.

The two biggest in state Giles whiffs IMO have been --
    2017 -- K'Lavon Chaisson (#5 in state and #4 at his position nationally) - Giles #2 worst whiff. I loved this guy and he was an early Texas lean (I think Giles started off on him, then we tried throwing Meeks/Orlando at him). This one hurt. The very next day a/ the Chaisson to LSU announcement, Giles reached for JUCO transfer DL Jamari Chisholm. He also was also responsible for inking DE Rob Cummins in 2017, but not Graham (Mack Brown) or Bimage (Naviar/Orlando).
    2018 - Giles missed on Ron Tatum, Bobby Brown (yay) and Chasen Hines but did well with who was there in Coburn and Ojomo. However, Giles needed help to land both players - Coburn with Meekins + Ojomo with Beck. And Beck landed Ossai too, not Giles.
    2019 DeMarvin Leal Giles #1 worst whiff obviously. He was a 5-star (#1 or 2 in state). He liked us and we blew a huge early lead to lose him. Guys like him are like unicorns -- in-state 5-star DTs who liked you as a 10-year old. You have to close these guys. We replaced him with the 3-star Sweat (#74 in state per the 247 Comp). He was poorly evaluated by the services, IMO, but that's a pretty big drop off for us. We did land Peter Mpagi this year but again Giles needed help from Meekins.

There have been several others in-state whiffs -- Marvin Wilson (#1 overall in TX and #1 DT nationally), NaNa Osafo-Mensah, Vernon Jackson (went to aggy to be a RB instead), Marcus Stripling, Rodas Johnson (Texas native) + multiple out of state DLs.

In any event, hopefully we can follow Broughton, Dorbah and Van Fillinger with Collins (visits next week). That would be a great haul for anyone.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Can't really blame Giles for missing on guys in 2017, it's not like he had time to really recruit them. For most of that cycle he was at Houston and none of those guys were going to Houston and Charlie left the program a total mess.

I've heard more than a few rumors that Leal's father had some shaddy dealings that eventually got Leal to aggsy.

Still I was very surprised that we got Broughton because right after he started working with FWK, he started leaning to aggsy. Maybe I'm seeing shadows where there aren't none, but it seems a lot of his guys go aggsy.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

But he was ours!
    [​IMG]

I think one of our seniors is working with him now, Collin Johnson maybe?

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Incoming

• Like Like x 5
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Could be a 2020 or another 2021 (if so, perhaps Jalen Milroe or Juan Davis)
    Bit if its a 2020, could be Chris Thompson or this WR. This was by written by a Rivals guy

Earlier this summer four-star Tulsa WR JJ Hester told me he was looking at fall official visits, but was not ruling out a summer commitment. New information I am hearing says that decision will likely be sooner than later, that a decision is in and we could be hearing the verdict at any time. My Forecast has been in for Texas for several weeks.

But see.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  9. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Lots of people are saying we have our 2021 QB.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If so, that's a pretty big call by our staff. Stone (& Stone's dad apparently) want him to be the guy. So if it is Milroe then that is likely it for us and Stone, who has a 5-star arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is TFB accounting for all of BC's "shh's" from this year --

Jan 19, 2019 – Jake Majors (2020)
    Feb 15, 2019 – Jaylen Garth (2020)
    Mar 30, 2019 – Jaden Hullaby (2020)
    Jun 3, 2019 – Ja’Quinden Jackson (2020)
    Jun 8, 2019 – Quaydarius Davis (2021)
    Jun 21, 2019 – Kitan Crawford (2020)
    Jun 22, 2019 – Lake McRee (2021)
    July 8, 2019 – Prince Dorbah (2020)
    July 18, 2019 – Van Fillinger (2020)
    July 21, 2019 – ???

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

He started off with a tremendous streak of "J" named commits, but it's been a while since we have seen one of those. I get the feeling the J streak is about to be renewed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We are supposed to be getting a visit from 4-star S Jerrin Thompson (6'0.5,183) next week. 247 has him at the #12 S nationally

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Must be a QB reference for someone who wants guaranteed playing time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Coach Hand started following OL Tobias Braun (6'7,306). Originally from Germany, he also played for Bullard, TX for his junior year before moving to Connecticut for his senior year.

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Good work staff on getting him in for a visit. Maybe my memory is fading, but I don't remember us ever getting a player from Lufkin. It's been a very long time anyway...

Take a look at his film:

2nd play = a young Jack Tatum teaching opposing receivers who owns the middle

4th play = a clinic on secondary run support tackling

Both of the recipients of those hits/tackles probably had Thompson in the back of their minds the remainder of the game. This guy can really hit and he reads the plays well and gets to the right place quick. He could be a capable return man as well. I hope he commits to us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Now there's an interesting prospect.

For 2020 OL, we're still apparently in the game for:

Lindberg
    Keric
    Courtland Ford (previously committed to LSU, but now giving us a look)
    This new German guy
    Who else?

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Amarite?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Glad to see Milroe coming on board. I hope the commitment sticks. :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

My best guess is that Lindberg is still the guy

26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If more than one of Lindberg, Keric, Ford, and/or Tobias Braun want to commit, don't you think we'd take 5 OL instead of 4 in 2020? Or even 6 and have another "class of beef" if we can get them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree. The good ones have usually wound up in either Norman or Collie Station.

28. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Love this kid! And the video and his attitude. When I first saw his video, a while back, I thought man I want this kid. Then I saw a post where he had interest in bama and I poopooed it. Now he
    Has chosen us. Course I am hoping he becomes a force for us. But I know a kid's mind can change I understand that but welcome aboard! Now I got to do my happy dance.:mj:

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Utah schools are supposed to be pretty good on academics but light on resources devoted to team sports. So potentially a a big upside here, with all this program has to offer.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019