2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And another-- the #2 player overall
    All those SEC teams kinda smells, but here we go

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2020 CB Dwight McGlothern of Cedar Hill Trinity Christian

"I'm going up there a lot, but they're (aggy) not showing me love like they need to. I'm a 5-star. I'm not an ordinary dude. You should recruit me hard."

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From the brother of Zach Evans --

"Yes. When they beat Georgia it put UT at #1 and moved Georgia."

• Like Like x 4
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is Zach Evans himself

• Like Like x 6
  5. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

This 2020 class could be something special.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Especially in the trenches

• Like Like x 3
  7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

:smh:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Lindberg-Majors-Parr-George-Garth...Lindberg-Majors-Parr-George-Garth...keep on wishing...

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Camp season already

[​IMG]

10. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Hard pass on that attitude. And no one would disagree if he said that about us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From Inside Texas --

2020 and 2021
    "As we've written a handful of times, with the end of the dead period the staff will get more aggressive with the classes ahead. Those classes just so happen to be pretty damn loaded and will be a blast to cover.

While no activity is expected on the 40 Acres this weekend with official visitors, there will be some targeted juniors like Bastrop’s Alfred Collins, Manor’s Princely Umanmielen, and Katy Tompkins sophomore Tunmise Adeleyetaking visits. All three are defensive linemen with Collins and Adeleye looking elite.

The following weekend gets even better with five-star running back Zachary Evans, four-star safety Bryson Washington, and three-star athlete Michael Henderson. Washington and Evans are pretty good friends. Washington doesn't get talked about enough and could realistically be included in class mock-ups. We'll see how numbers go.

We expect more names to be added to both weekends and will add those as they come.

Good news, the staff clearly realizes A&M and OU got the jump on them last year and are now trying to return the favor. They're being aggressive and taking advantage of the win over Georgia. That aggression was part of the calculus for predictions of a top-five 2020 class."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If the staff didn't realize by February of 2018 what were they thinking? ou has always been a thorn. aggy not as much as the out of state schools they bring into the equation.

13. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Well, ag has pulled a LOT of players off the board in recent years.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One of a few visitors this weekend (see above)

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Arizona: WRTS!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Getting elite Dlinemen will dominate in the Big 12 and give us an even footing in the rest of the playoffs.

I feel good about our matchup with LSU because we have the dline that can go toe to toe with the SEC, I'm still concerned about our oline with the new faces we will be having to use next year. especially the left side of the line. If the line shows up we will beat LSU, they don't have the offense to score a lot of points.

19. I_Dont_Exist

And by that you mean 3 new starters on the dline who at this point are unproven?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

“Visit was great as usual but this one stood out in particular more than a lot of my others to Texas. Coach Herman pulled my father and I into his office and we really had an interactive dialogue with him and coach Giles. Obviously a coaches job is to sell his program but with coach Herman I really didn’t sense anything fake. He comes across as a really down to earth guy which is something I really liked.”

• Like Like x 4
  21. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

How are any of the 3 unproven? Both Roach and Graham played a lot last year and both were plug in guys with the starters. Wilbon also split time last year with Nelson. Roach was a starter and was moved to linebacker to get Hager, Omenihau, and him on the field at the same time. Graham is a beast. Wilbon made some very significant plays over the season for us, including falling on the fumble in the Georgia game.

Unproven is what we have coming in at linebacker from the Juco ranks, not what we have on the dline.

22. I_Dont_Exist

Roach was hurt and missed over half the season. I'll give you he can be good. I must have missed it as I don't recall the other two playing that much. Falling on a fumble doesn't mean much for the big picture. There's a reason guys are backups.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  23. I_Dont_Exist

And Hagar and OmenIhau were already on the field together a lot previously.

24. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

In today's Big 12 defenses, the notion of starter/backup is kind of meaningless, particularly for DLs. Depth/rotation is key to defending Big 12 spread offenses. The true measure, if one were needed, would be snaps played, not who took the field on the opponent's first snap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Hornsby looks great, I mean great in his highlights and he said he would be a great fit at UT. I have the impression that we are not recruiting him hard but i think that's a mistake. He also was impressed with our Sugar bowl win. He has a good arm with great speed. Let's get him. I do like Card but he can also play WR.

27. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So how many do we take in the 2020 recruiting cycle?
    (factoring in projected transfers, etc.)

29. horn_fan_cpa

horn_fan_cpa 100+ Posts

From what I can tell, it looks like a smaller class. If you look at this roster, it only has 12 seniors that will be moving on.
    The Texas roster matrix heading into 2019
    Obviously there will be some additional attrition, but it would take quite a bit for us to have a full class of 25. That's also assuming we fill up this year's class, which looks like it will have room for at least 6 more if Rising and Buechele transfer and Shepherd signs somewhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think he played out of position most of the season. By my estimation, Herman was determined to play as many of the seniors who stayed as he could. That meant if we were going to also start Roach, who was one of our best defenders in both 2016 and 2017, then he was going to have to move positions for one season. So, in order to accommodate those seniors on the DL, he became a LB. Playing a 270-pound LB in the Big 12 went about as well as you might expect. In 2019, he will return to his natural position and hopefully return to his earlier, stellar form. I hope, think and expect this will be the end of Herman rewarding seniority at the expense of productivity.