2020 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Note to Jimbo: you can often get your ag exemption for property taxes by cutting some hay or running a small number of goats on your property. No need for a herd of $70k cows. Who knows, it could be a scam where he sells the calves to some big aggie backers at greatly inflated prices to boost his income.

Then again, maybe Jimbo has gone full aggie, and is "trying his hand" in the show cattle semen business. :cow::yikes::cow:

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I forgot about Josh Moore, so there you go
    Or could also always just be someone else currently buried on the depth chart

Here is what IT wrote about Bunkley-Shelton -
    LV Bunkley-Shelton, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA): Fittingly, LV-BS fits in the Josh Moore mold. Moore fit pretty well into the Reggie Hemphill-Mapps mold. So we have similar skill-sets, hyphens galore, and maybe a curse or two. Bunkley-Shelton is a vertical H or Z who would be an unfair match-up on bigger defensive personnel. Since visiting he's said all the right things and he's clearly done his homework on the school. There's a thing or two we're watching behind the scenes on this one. 65%

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Has he bought any property in or around Brazos County? Last I knew he was renting a house in Miramont, because I joked that maybe Adams wouldn't approve him to buy a lot or house.

4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

"There's a thing or two we're watching behind the scenes on this one."

Yeah, like that new sports car that just appeared in his family's driveway courtesy of USC.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Rogers is one I'd really like to sign, and he can do a lot more than just play CB. I get the work/risk/reward calculus that goes into the staff's decision on how much time and effort to put into flipping him. It's just that U. of Florida seems like a random place to lose a top prospect to... Maybe he really clicked with their staff and players?

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Texags were patting themselves on the back when they heard jumbo (new nickname for fisher) was buying prized cattle.

7. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

He is impressive even if size is disregarded. A Darren Sproles like RB for sure. I would go after Jordan even if we had Cooper.

Hullaby is recruited to be an H back.

8. BurntOrangeLH

I am starting a Go Fund Me for my used couch bonfire round up.

Ransom could flip if he recognizes Texas is DBU and Sterns is his mentor like at the Opening in Dallas.

Alford over Rogers for DB because of frame. Rogers is an athlete, but he probably does not see many 6'6" WR.

But there was also an AZ linebacker Texas was pursuing. Did he go to Oregon verbally?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  9. BurntOrangeLH

Instead of prize ewes in garter belts and fishnets?

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Jumbo Failures new digs as head coach of aggy on its way to aggyland. If things go really bad over yonder, he can hook up and skedaddle before the lynch mob can catch him.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That makes sense re: Hullaby's likely position. Although with our rash of RB injuries at an already thin position, it helps to have players that could slide over to RB if needed, like Hullaby (and Rogers, and Ty Jordan).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  13. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

funny... on "aggy" thread we've been talking mascots...and on recruiting thread talking aggy.
    Perhaps we need an aggy mascot recruiting thread....because all three need help over there.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Todd Dodge agrees, he loves Karic. He not only thinks he is a college starter at OT but maybe beyond college too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

I agree completely with Joe Fan and Chop regarding Karic. So many of the OL recruits mature later owing to nuances of skills combined with strength that doesn't come at age 16 or 17. The development of power, footwork, balance and leverage can only be learned when competing against like talent on the other side. Few HS have both sides of that exercise and those that do avoid one-on-one with them to avoid injuries. It's tough to impossible to learn footwork and balance against a 5* bull rush when you are practicing against the scout team in HS. We should do whatever Wisconsin is doing. They currently have an AA lineman and an AA Linebacker (per preseason lists) who were both 3* recruits. I haven't done the research on their OL about two or three years ago, but they had all 5 drafted and not one was a Justin Blalock type recruit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Maybe we'll soon be there with Coach Hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Wisconsin used to be the "gold standard" of college OLs. Sounds like they're maintaining that tradition. I used to think: "why can't we just hire the Wisconsin OL coach and pay him a lot more to come to UT?"

Then again, I think it would be hard for us to do much better than Hand when it comes to development. In a very short time he's turned our OL from a weakness to a strength, and he's recruiting better and better OLs. He was one of the nation's top OL position coaches at Auburn, and his excellent position coach performance has continued here. I'm extremely pleased with Hand. He's fixed a glaring weakness in our program.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This makes me think of when we used to recruit big TEs and turn them into All-Conference and All-American left tackles. Karic has the frame, and playing at 270lbs as a Sr. in HS, it's not like he's a small guy. You can take a tall lean player who's quick with good footwork and instincts, and add strength and quality weight. You can't take a big lumbering slow OL with lousy footwork and make him quick and agile.

The big/huge guys we recruit now are all pretty quick and with good footwork and agility--some are very quick and agile. IMHO, Shepard is our latest "freak of nature" in this dep't.*

*Shepard worked hard with TFK to get to where he is, but much of his size/agility combination is clearly natural.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

What’s all this about

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. BurntOrangeLH

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It ain't rocket science.

Attending a school with "safety issues" that scored so poorly that the district was taken over and absorbed by HISD, which is so poor, it has been recommended that the board be replaced and it be taken over by TEA, in favor of a suburban district with much higher test scores.

Better education & safer. What parent wouldn't want that for their child?

Then you have to explain the maroon Escalade he is driving across town.

Let the kid play.

:hookem2:

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hmmmmmmm. Perhaps Bellaire Episcopal, Strake Jesuit, or Kincaid is going to make a deeper run in the playoffs this year...

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

24. BurntOrangeLH

He said he would not return to North Forest to play and would sit out at Tomball.

Now we will have to see if anything changes very soon.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

My impression is that it was not that the UIL was suggesting this was something underhanded but rather the decision was simply based upon the written guidelines about eligibility and waiver.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm sure he would be approved if he transferred to Buna

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

aggy reacts to the Demas news exactly like you might expect aggy to react

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ps - although I do admit now to participating in various lobbying efforts to keep them from buying a law school

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  28. everette

everette 250+ Posts

They bale hay growing up!

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They just cannot help themselves. It's "cultural"

• Funny Funny x 3
  30. BurntOrangeLH

Wait! aTm has a law school? I did not know sheep law was a special practice.