2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Hannah is one imposing athlete. She and a few friends were right behind me as I was leaving the clunker that was Texas @ TCU last season. I’m 6’2” and she made me feel short as I held the door open. A different build than Sedona - appropriate comparison would be Kalani Brown.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Deja is hanging out with Azzi Fudd on the left hand side of the photo and Angel Reese (I think) on the far right. I'm not sure who the player is next to Deja in the white shirt.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  4. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 3
  5. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 4
  6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

What is the recent story/News on Jordan Merritt from Plano? I can’t seem to remember much information on camps, USA tryouts, AAU progress, college leaders or other. Did I miss some info?

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Texas offered Jordyn a scholarship two summers ago. She did attend our summer camp in 2017; don't think she attended our 2018 camp.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2020 W Angel Reese at St Frances Academy (Baltimore) with a Texas offer. She’s currently ranked #19 in the 2020 class by ESPN. Made the cut to 18 for Team USA U17 this summer but did not make the final roster of 12.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  9. LutherIsMyDog

Angel Reese had a great performance in the Bluestar 30 camp that was held last weekend in Las Vegas.

Deja Kelly hanging with Angel Reese at the Blue Star camp.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Angel is a pretty tall guard/wing at 6-2/6-3 (height depends on the site you look her up on).

• Like Like x 1
  11. LutherIsMyDog

Jordyn Merritt and the Cy Fair Elite team are heading to Indianapolis for the Nike Eybl AAU tourney. Other players on the Cy Fair Elite team that are on Texas' radar are Aaliyah Moore (2021), Sasha Goforth (2020) and Jewel Spear (2020).

• Like Like x 1
  12. LutherIsMyDog

The July 2020 rankings from Prospect Nation have been published. It's a sign of strong point guard class when when 4 of the top 5 prospects are point guards. Sara Andrews is the #4 recruit but is considered the #3 point guard in the class.

Angel Reese #6, Hannah Gusters #7, Sasha Goforth #9, DeYona Gaston #17, Jordyn Merrit #30, Deja Kelly #31 (but the #3 guard in the class) and Harmoni Turner #33.

Priscilla Williams from Katy Texas is the #8 overall recruit and the #1 guard. She recently moved from Missouri to Houston. @Moooooo first mentioned her a few months ago.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  13. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Quick take from day 1 in Indy. Yes I came I was able to get away.
    Sara Andrews didn’t have her best offensive scoring day but was solid, showed leadership,
    Great ball handle, played very good defense and moved well without the ball. Interesting thing I saw was coach Washington was watching the Philadelphia Belles play in a blow out while Sara was playing if I had to guess he was watching both Watson and Deberry

• Like Like x 5
  14. LutherIsMyDog

Thanks Oakman. Hope you'll give us more updates throughout the weekend.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As we've all been saying for quite a while, the in-state 2020 class is just loaded. I would say there are more 5'10 to 6'2 players ranked than ever before, and those that can play multiple positions SG/W/SF are at premium, IMO, especially since SF has been one of our tougher positions to recruit recently. Players ranked in the Top 60 who may fit that category:

G - 6'2 Priscilla Williams (I would say SF is probably her future unless quick feet)
    F - 6'2 DeYona Gaston
    W - 6'0 Myra Gordon
    F - 6'2 Jordyn Merritt
    W - 6'0 Aja Holmes
    W - 6'0 Shay Holle
    W - 5'10 Sahara Jones

I don't recall seeing Aja Holmes ranked that high (40) in past rankings; perhaps I overlooked her. She had been very pro-Texas in her social media for the past couple of years, I believe.

Then, you throw in 6'1 Sasha Goforth and 6'0 Elauna Eaton of Arkansas, and that's two more wing players we are pursuing not too far from our state border.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  16. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Just caught the early matchup between Pro Skills vs Philly Belles.
    Sara Andrews was really good off the dribble she got to the rim anytime she wanted. She played excellent defense I would like to see her shoot better from the perimeter.
    Deja Kelly didn’t shoot to well but she took good shots she has a deceiving left handed move that turns to a pull up, she has great speed gets up and down the court very well. Has a great shooting form.
    Kylie Watson was impressive but needs to develop her jump shot it’s really just mechanics, if she can get that together she will be a very dangerous college player.
    Maddie Burke has one of the best shooting forms I’ve seen in a while she can shoot the deep ball with the best of them.
    Side note both coach Washington and Aston were present for this one.

• Like Like x 5
  17. LutherIsMyDog

@Oakman -Thanks for your observations. Any thoughts on Deberry and Hannah Gusters? Does Gabby Hutcherson play for the Belles? Who won the game?

• Like Like x 3
  18. LutherIsMyDog

Harmoni Turner--one of my favorite 2020 players.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Oakman

Oakman Guest

The Belles won in a blowout but they have a very good team I believe they will make it to the final four in Chicago and depends on matchup If the Belles make it to the finals or not. Deberry as expected was very very good she plays beyond her years not much she can’t do and do well. She will only get better which is very scary. I watched All Iowa with Catlin Clarke she was also very good she hit shots from all over the court made some really next leve assist. She really controlled the game. Both coach Washington and Aston were there to watch her but from what I hear she doesn’t want to go far from home she may stay to play at Iowa just to be close so will be a long shot for a lot of schools to land her. Gabby plays with Rikea on Sports City very good player but not a good fit for Texas

• Like Like x 5
  20. Oakman

Oakman Guest

All Iowa beat Cy-Fair convincingly Catlin Clarke was just as good as she was earlier coach Washington was there as was Muffett.
    Team Takeover who has Angel Reese is beating North Tarten pretty easily I think they can win this whole thing. Angel Reese is the girl I’ve been telling you guys about for a while she has gotten better, for a girl of her size she can handle like a guard, rebounds with the best of them and with her wing span she is a great shot blocker. I would have her as a must get

• Like Like x 6
  21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Any idea where/who Coach Aston is watching? And who have the Texas coaches been focused on the most since being there?

• Like Like x 2
  22. Oakman

Oakman Guest

She got here today I only saw Washington yesterday. I didn’t see her for these round of games but I will be back for the 630 games. She was definitely watching Catlin Clarke earlier. As for Coach Washington he was watching the Belles the few times I saw him so with all but 1 of the 19’s from that team committed I believe he was watching both Kylie Watson who fits perfectly in what Texas does and Amari Deberry who fits with any school lucky enough to land her. I don’t see Aston now but I am leaving for a break I will post a little later on. She might be watching Rikea who is also here

• Like Like x 6
  23. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 5
  24. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Just watched an amazing game Belles lost to MidWest Elite by 2 as Breana Beal hit a layup with 2 seconds left. Not sure why but Notre Dame commit Anaya Peoples who I absolutely love was not here. Coach Washington was here and coach Aston came I think in the second half but they were both present for the game. From what I can tell they were watching Watson, Deberry and maybe Beal who seems like everyone is recruiting, she is deserving of her high ranking. Muffett was also in attendance for the same three kids i would presume. Watson had a good one she scored around the rim, was very physical and was good on the boards. I think I may be done for the day my age is catching up with me

• Like Like x 5
  25. LutherIsMyDog

Thanks Oakman. Your first person reports are invaluable.

• Like Like x 6
  26. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 5
  27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, thanks, Oakman, for those in person reports on those tournaments & games. :hookem2:Great stuff to read. :hookem3:

• Like Like x 4
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Deja highlights from the weekend. Some nice assists included in the highlights - more than a couple to Hannah Gusters.

• Like Like x 7
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  29. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 5
  30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

man, those two (Deja & Sarah) just have a knack for getting around defenders to get to the rim. Outstanding court vision to find their open teammates as well.

Really happy that Deja is coming to Texas. Wonder if Sarah will come here as well.

• Like Like x 6