2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

We are in contention for the Top 5 on this list. Although it's only one set of rankings, Harmoni Turner has risen in the ranks and Jordyn Merritt has fallen.
    FWIW, Endyia Rogers is close with Harmoni Turner and Angel Reese (not certain where she and Angel met up since Angel is from Maryland). Which doesn't hurt if we are fortunate to get a commitment from Endyia.

• Like Like x 3
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Coach George at Shadow Creek in Pearland - not sure who he was there to see but I assume he also could’ve stopped by Pearland HS to see DeYona’ Gaston.

• Like Like x 4
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gaston is the only player from Pearland I have down. A 6-3 W/F for 2020 sounds pretty intriguing.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As someone noted previously, this can only help us with our recruitment of her new high school teammate (and existing club teammate), Hannah Gusters.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I haven't seen Deja play myself, but from everything I've heard and read, this is just one more mark against the whole concept of "ranking" players and in particular raises questions about Prospects Nations' credibility. It's funny how everything in this country has to be ranked. Turning on my computer this morning, there was a ranking of the 25 best cities to live in, the 100 best restaurants in the world, the 50 most beautiful college campuses, and so forth and so on. As if these subjective things can really be ranked. But we seem to be drawn to these rankings as if they represent reality. Closer to reality would be "these are some of the best high school players", maybe groupings, like "25 of the very best", etc. But how can you say Nat. Marshall is exactly the 16th best player in the country? For one thing, how do you compare her to a guard? How did they decide she is just a little bit better than #17, but not quite as good as #15? Sorry for the rant, but the rankings thing is out of hand in American culture.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Hannah Gusters visited UConn and received an offer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

UConn does a good job of getting underclassmen to take unofficial visits during their First Night weekend. I can't see anything that indicates that Sarah Andrews is accompanying Gusters this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Given how thin UConn is inside and that Hannah is one of the premier bigs in the 2020 class, not surprising that she got an offer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Geno, from my understanding, doesn't offer a recruit UNLESS they make an unofficial visit. So, if a player wants the "prestige" of getting offered by UConn, that's what has to happen. Gusters already had UConn on her list of 12 finalists, even without that actual offer extended yesterday.

Hopefully, Sarah Andrews didn't go with her. I still believe they will end up at the same school, but things can certainly change.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sydney Parrish, 6-1 W/G, has listed Texas as one of the teams she is interested in.
    #19 overall and #3 W by ProspectsNation
    #11 overall and #1 G by ESPN

• Like Like x 1
  15. LutherIsMyDog

Ugh...:eek:

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Both UTs do seem to be going after the same players.

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Endyia Rogers also at Tenn this weekend.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm guessing 2020 Reese chose to make an unofficial visit to Knoxville to hang out with close friend, 2019 Endyia Rogers. Hope it's not a sign of anything regarding Endyia's choice.

19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I doubt it, at least right now. This is the fourth of five OVs Endyia has scheduled with the final one this next weekend (10/26) at USC (S. Cal or S. Carolina?), probably Southern Cal.

I hope Endyia decides to come to Texas. We need a PG in this class since we don't really have one in the 2018 class and Chasity will be a junior when Endyia comes in. Of course the 2020 class is loaded with outstanding PGs.

• Like Like x 4
  20. LutherIsMyDog

Ugh, this is not the way I wanted to start my day. Hopefully, this follows the same path as Sedona's and Charlie's early commitments and Deja eventually recommits after seeing other schools.

Feel free to "dislike" my post as often as necessary.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am shocked about Deja. Not sure what else to say.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

This tweet was less than 2 weeks ago:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

This was from the USC football weekend 5 weeks ago:

• Like Like x 1
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If anything, I thought the transfer to Duncanville and playing for Cathy Self-Morgan would firm up her commitment even more.

• Agree Agree x 5
  25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, stuff happens. Deja knows UT inside and out. Guess she wants to see what other schools have to offer. Hopefully, she will recommit after she visits other places.

• Like Like x 3
  26. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Bummed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Is this coming because she perceives a logjam at her position? Wonder if we have a new 19 commitment on the way.

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Doubtful imo. All of our PGs are quite capable of playing SG. I don't think PT or competition is a consideration for her. Competition for PT on top teams is a way of life. Like the many others that committed early, she likely just wants to get an idea of what is out there.

As for a new 2019 commitment, I sure hope so!

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Being recruited is something that’s a once in a lifetime thing. I think she just wants to have that experience of being recruited. Like Sedona and Charlie, the good news is that she has the closest relationships with the Texas coaching staff and players.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  30. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Deja will be playing with Hannah Gusters, which will bring out other big time coaches to their Duncanville games. Hope she shows out for them and enjoys the process, but ultimately stays with the Horns!

• Like Like x 3