2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I love the point guard graphic (but it should have included Kamie Ethridge and possibly some others -- Caitlin Clark wants to go to a school with basketball tradition). What's wrong with UConn, not offering Clark?

2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Definitely should have included Kamie! :e-eyes:

3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure who specifically the tweet was intended for - vague enough to avoid a recruiting violation as well as allow multiple PG recruits to assume she is the intended audience. I'd guess the reason other former Longhorn PGs weren't on the tweet is to emphasize PGs who played when Karen Aston was on staff or head coach.

Speaking of Kamie and tradition, I can’t remember if this was posted in another thread but, at his recent Texas Athletics town hall meeting, Chris Del Conte said he talked to Chris Plonsky recently about honoring some of the most successful women's players in basketball and softball that should be and haven't been... said they'll start from the past and work towards the recent ones after a fan asked about why Cat Osterman's jersey isn't retired.

• Like Like x 5
  4. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Probably the reason Kamey wasn't included in graphic is because she doesn't have a direct connection to the current coaching staff. Karen is/was the head coach for Sug/Brooke and Jamie is the current position coach for guards.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. LutherIsMyDog

More praise for Harmoni Turner

"Give yourself, oh, two seconds and you’ll be able to clearly see what makes Harmoni Turner so special.

Mansfield Legacy’s junior guard has the it factor that, accompanied with her obvious talent, makes her one of the nation’s top basketball players.

The four-star prospect, who is rated as the No. 56 player in the country for the class of 2020 by ESPN, had a game-high 24 points to lead the Lady Broncos to a hard-fought 40-30 victory over Birdville in a Class 5A area round game...

Turner had 15 points in the second half for Legacy, which trailed 16-14 at halftime and 27-26 heading into the fourth quarter. She had six straight points midway through the fourth to help the Lady Broncos take control of the game with a 33-29 lead.

The first of those baskets came via a coast-to-coast pull-up jumper with six minutes left. She followed that with an 18-foot jumper for her 18th point before putting the exclamation point on the game by corralling a steal and then swishing a 3-pointer from near NBA range to give Legacy that 4-point lead with four minutes left.

“There’s a lot [of coaches] from all over coming by,” Morris said. “She hasn’t made any decisions in any type of way and is just enjoying the process.”

Not convinced about Turner’s abilities yet? These are a few quotes from ESPN after their scouts saw her at various basketball tournaments:

“Explosively quick floor leader with a scorer’s mindset in the back court; uptempo contributor with flair; dynamic off the bounce, collapses the defense, distributes.”

“Jet-quick lead guard with a scoring punch in the back court; 1-on-1 creator, tough to contain, penetrates with superb body control to rim; deep range threat; shines in uptempo, passes with flair; among the elite guards in the class of 2020.”

• Like Like x 5
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Harmoni seems to check a lot of the things that the coaching staff is looking for in a PG, based on Brooke and Sug.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LutherIsMyDog

An update on the DeSoto vs McArthur game (still in progress). DeSoto has a big lead going into the 4th Q.

• Like Like x 4
  8. LutherIsMyDog

DeSoto advances with a 65-31 win over McArthur. :e-eyes:

DeSoto will play Skyline in the quarterfinals.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

DeSoto is a very talented team; I recall them coming to one of our team summer camps.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

some big favorites going down up north.

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, let's talk about what we know in regards to Shay Holle.

Prior to the news of her verbal commitment, I don't believe anyone on here had commented on her. I had read about her the last couple of months or so in the Statesman as she was mentioned any time there was a story on a Westlake game.

I know someone posted some analysis from one recruiting service where they believed she was the fastest recruiting baseline to baseline in the 2020 class. I can't believe that because most of us know that the 5'8 and under guards are typically much faster than the taller wing players. I did see that Shay runs a leg on Westlake's 1600m relay; so, she runs 400m in less than 58 seconds. That's great endurance; and, great training to help her run up and down the basketball court. Hope she continues with that sport the next two seasons.

The Statesman had a blurb the other day that she has the flexibility to guard just about all positions on the court; great to read that.

For the last few years, we haven't had as many 5'11 or taller players who can shoot the 3-pointer consistently. Adding her, and Celeste from the 2019 class gives us more depth in that area, albeit young depth. Maybe she has a mid-range game close to that of OSU's Vivian Gray; would love to add someone like Vivian Gray to our team sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 6
  12. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Good game between Mesquite Horn and Sachse. Horn led like 20-8 early as the sophomore guard recently seen at Tech hit four NBA three pointers early. She had like 20 of their first 27 points. Nice player. Sachse came back in second period and was.behind 33-31 at half. Sachse took control in third and won by about 15. Horn is very good, extremely quick as the press didn’t phase them. The Sachse coach came out of the press after falling behind big and did a half court trap which was more effective. Horn didn’t have any depth or size. Sachse’s size and depth eventually wore Horn down. Sachse is very impressive. I may try and catch them in the next game.

• Like Like x 2
  13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Looking at the results, other than McArthur, all the other Dallas area teams won. Prosper, Skyline, Cedar Hill, Plano, Mansfield Timberview, Lincoln, Sachse and others all won handily.

• Like Like x 1
  14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Regarding Holle, she isn’t listed in top 60 on ESPN Hoopgulz. Doesn’t mean she is not a good sleeper recruit. Kinda strange that she wasn’t being talked up that much. Maybe westlake will continue to win and someone or a lot can see her play and give a good assessment. Anybody have any video of her like we have on several others? Regarding Clark, she is rated number 4 player in country. Have seen video of her and her rating appears correct. Sure would be nice if she was the point guard TWBB tweeted about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  19. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 7
  20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

i'm getting anxious on a cold, sunday afternoon in February. With the signing of the 2019 Australian guard late, the TWBB tweet about looking for a 2020 point guard, now a new late offer for Chevalier, and no news about Andrews, Turner, Clark...………...what does all that mean? Am I being paranoid about this possibly being an indicator of missing out on Andrews/Turner/Clark and having us going to the Internet want-adds, plus late offers? Talk me off the edge. Point guard for 2020 is the biggest goal Aston should have in the next 6 months or so. A mediocre point guard can absolutely take a final four team to a group of 32 team. I need some good news.

21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Flash, nothing is really going to happen with the top players until this summer or early fall, if the last couple of years is any indication.

Relax and enjoy this year's team.

Time enough to start worrying about recruiting for 2020 after the NCAAs. At least for fans, the coaches have been working on the 2020 class probably since that group hit sixth or seventh grade.

• Like Like x 1
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

For sure need to relax. Glad I missed yesterday’s game. After relooking at the ESPN top 60, only a few have committed, so you are correct. So going to the Sachse vs Allen game Tuesday night. No players on either team that Texas is recruiting so I can relax and just enjoy the game. Guess I will be pulling for Sachse as I can’t bring myself to root for the behemoth school. And I like the coach, schemes, how the players conduct themselves, etc. They appear to be able to play any style, make adjustments and don’t get rattled. I’m getting a little crush on that small town team.

23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Westlake girls w/ Shay Holle play tonight, okay, maybe not tonight but tomorrow night, Tuesday. .
    Screenshot (141).png

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

webcast for the Westlake-Judson game Tuesday:
    ON-THE-AIR — WESTLAKECHAPS.COM
    Notice that

• Like Like x 1
  25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

How do y'all post pictures from your phone here?

26. LutherIsMyDog

I wish I knew the answer. I'm curious what you have to share. :e-thinking:

27. LutherIsMyDog

Mansfield Legacy (Harmoni Turner) defeated by The Colony (Jewel Spear). Harmoni and Jewel with big time buckets.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  28. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Well...I took a couple of pictures of a young lady at our home game against WVU getting attention from Jamie Carey AND Karen Aston. I forgot about them, mainly because I didn't get a shot of her face and also I had no idea who she was. Now, I'm wondering if it was Ashley Chevalier.
    I also have a picture of Sarah Andrews doing a handshake routine with Kelby Jones at yesterday's game.

• Like Like x 3
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

At the recent K-State game, in the club room before the game, a young lady and her Dad were there. She had a lanyard around her neck, making me think she was a potential recruit here for a visit. She had a Bullard Basketball t-shirt on and on the back was the name "Wade". Not sure who she was. Just FYI.

• Like Like x 3
  30. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Westlake lost a heartbreaker at the buzzer. Judson 43-41.

• Like Like x 1