2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Judson wins over Allen. Argyle beats Lincoln. All I’ve got.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

for those interested in watching the games:
    Schedule:
    https://www.uiltexas.org/basketball/state-girls
    Saturday, March 2 - Finals
    Time Class Schools

8:30 am 1A Dodd City(33-3) vs. Nazareth(30-6)
    10:00 am 3A Mount Pleasant Chapel Hill(35-0) vs. Woodville(38-1)

1:30 pm 2A Martin’s Mill(37-0) vs. Grapeland(28-8)
    3:00 pm 5A Frisco Liberty(31-10) vs. Amarillo(35-4)

7:00 pm 4A Hardin-Jefferson(34-4) vs. Argyle(30-7)
    8:30 pm 6A Converse Judson(36-5) vs. DeSoto(32-6)

https://www.uiltexas.org/basketball/state-girls/girls-basketball-state-tournament-broadcast-information
    The price is as follows:
    $9.95 per month with automatic renewal unless cancelled.

3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

1A Final: Nazareth 54, Dodd City 33.

Since 1976, the Nazareth Swiftettes have made 28 state tournament appearances and they have won 23 Championships (Texas record, 2nd nationally). The Swiftettes have been in the title game 6 years in a row, winning 5. 3rd year in a row Nazareth beats Dodd City in the championship game - that’s got to be heartbreaking for DC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  5. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I've been wanting to ask this for a while, do y'all think that Deja is out of the picture for Texas? With Palmer coming in next season from Australia, and Chevalier in 2020?

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

No inside information about Deja.

But, once she transferred to Duncanville, then decommitted, and has not come to visit Texas (which she used to do just about every football weekend and home hoops games), I would say the writing is on the wall. She nor her Mom tweet or retweet about Texas, so that could be a clue, as well.

If she's intent on following her boyfriend to college like she did to Duncanville, then we aren't an option as we aren't one of his finalists; then again, neither are Oregon or Notre Dame, so perhaps that will have no impact on her college destination.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Staff still looking at Andrews. Kentucky and Virginia (HC Tina Thompson) offered Texas target 6-3 F Maliyah Johnson.
    2020 Class: Recruiting News/Updates, March 2019

• Like Like x 4
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Well, that answers for me whether Chevalier was the only PG take for 2020. Not a surprise that the Australian PG in 2019 and Cali PG In 2020 was not the end(is that double negative confusing?). It does appear to an outsider that Kelly and Texas have moved on. With Texas still on the trail for Andrews, and hopefully Turner, Aston has NOT closed up shop on PG’s for 2020. Good for my mental health.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

UConn visited Hannah Gusters last night. I'm curious if there is still mutual interest between Gusters and Texas.

11. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. And I know that some people have questioned the current commitments we have in terms of not being on the level that Texas has had in the past under Coach Aston. And have wondered if the recruiting has slipped. That could be the case but as one of the posters mentioned I think Karen has changed her recruiting and decided to recruit a different kind of player. High motor, low maintenance players with quality basketball skills.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As fans who don't see the recruits play very often (if at all), we only have the recruiting rankings as a basis for their talent level. Recruiting rankings are so very subjective.

A lot of times, when we do see a recruit play for the first time, like in the McDonald's All-American game, we are underwhelmed. When they get to college, we then get to see if they have the "it" factor, or if they really were ranked too high by certain publications. I don't want to name names, but I can recall a couple that fall into that category.

Some recruits who are not ranked very high (or at all) end up showing very well early in college; Audrey Warren is an example of that.

It's not likely that one program has nothing but Top 20 recruits on a 15-player roster. Having a mix of highly-ranked players (who live up to those rankings) and some lower-ranked players is more reasonable, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I can't imagine that Aston wouldn't still want the top-rated recruits if she thought she could get them. The big question to be answered in 2020 is whether or not the rumors are true around the AAU circuit... That being top recruits are now steering away from Texas.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  14. LutherIsMyDog

Weird. That rumor totally contradicts with the rumor I heard from an AAU coach at the State playoffs last week that there are a couple of 2020 blue chip recruits who have Texas at the top of their list because they see an opportunity to get ample playing time for one of the top programs in the country.

See how easy that is?

Your support of the program is outstanding.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Every coach including Coach Aston wants great players. The fact that they’re still recruiting Sarah Andrews and Turner hard says that. But I also think that she has tweaked her recruiting philosophy while still going after the High End talent. At the end of the day you still need great players to win at a high level.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, it's important to recruit players with the correct attitude regarding working hard in practice, wanting to be in top physical condition, and fitting into the system. And, being a good teammate and realizing that only 5 players can start a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

@LutherIsMyDog I appreciate your sharing the rumor contradictory to that which I've heard, as it eases my concern somewhat regarding our future recruiting. But what I would appreciate even more is if you'd back off and slow your roll, buddy. Do I attack and harrass you when you say something that I don't agree with? Thanks in advance.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  18. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Absolutely. And that’s what I mean by low maintenance. Celeste Taylor is a great player that some of us have forgotten about that fits that mold. And that’s also why it was great reading the quotes from the PG that we just got out of California she has that mind set that you’re talking about. If we’re being honest Coach Aston has had to deal with and worry about a lot of things outside of what’s going on on the basketball court the last couple of years with players.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  20. LutherIsMyDog

Looking at the photo, it appears they could be at the team hotel prior to the TCU game. If so, it's good that Sarah had another opportunity to hang out with the team. It also can't hurt that Sug had a great game against TCU.

If you click on the Tweet a there's funny exchange between Brianna Taylor and Andrews.

• Like Like x 2
  21. cjon4442

cjon4442 < 25 Posts

I would love it if we could sign Saniya Rivers out of North Carolina. She is long and very athletic. She is ranked #7 by ESPN.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Love that!

Sarah has not been very active on twitter the last few months; her wearing a Texas shirt is even more of a positive.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Mulkey seems to be paying more attention to point guard Van Lith from Washington than Andrews, it appears. Recent tweets / photos had the entire Baylor coaching staff flying to Washington the other day to visit Van Lith. Of course, if Sarah tweets a photo soon with her and the BU staff, then I'm way off.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As we know, posters are either glass-half-full, or glass-half-empty. We ALL know who on here is leaning empty, that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was really surprised to see that. Kinda of a bummer to me as I would really like to have Hailey at Texas. Probably not happening but...

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As far as I knew, we're not even involved with HVL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Regarding Ashley Chevalier, I thought her team lost in the playoffs a week or so ago; but, I'm seeing recent tweets that they are still playing and winning more games. Perhaps I don't understand California state playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts