2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

DeSoto has several long, athletic front court players that Texas has offered as DFW Horn mentioned. Seems like one is 6’-4” Tina Herron or something like that. The DMNEWS mentioned others as even better than Herron. Most were freshman or sophomores last year. It will be interesting who from DeSoto the DMN includes on pre-season watch list. That should be coming out real soon as the girls high school basketball season is right around the corner. As for Duncanville, I think D Kelly is headed elsewhere. Not sure if there is another a big time D1 recruit there.

2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I really hopes Texas goes hard for her. She was the #3 overall recruit coming out of high school in 2018 and announced this about 3 hours ago

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Transfers within the conference aren’t very likely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

I know but it won't hurt to try

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Interesting to see how transfers affect other schools besides ours.

6. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

And If you’ll notice Baylor has had multiple highly touted players leave the program for a myriad of reasons the last 5 years but I don’t hear anyone claiming there’s something going on within the program like some on here have tried to do with Texas. Winning covers up a lot of stinch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Maliyah Johnson commitment announcement tomorrow. No idea about this one.

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As far as social media, she tweeted about official visits to Texas and Mizzou (back in September). Never saw anything about other finalists like Kansas, Colorado, Florida and Texas A&M.

9. Jacob Johnson

Maliyah Johnson just announced she has committed to Texas A&M

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I think there no last minute surprise announcements (cough, cough Sarah Andrews). The flurry of "where the heck did they come from" announcements the few weeks means that Karen knows who isn't coming and reached out to Plan B or Plan C candidates.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Aston in the past talked about needing to get one difference making player per year to be REALLY successful. Or something very similar to that. As I remember it, she was making the point that it was difficult to keep a bunch of top recruits (1-10 rated) every year happy. So just get one per year. Well, Collier was it last year, Celeste Taylor was it this year. And I believe both just may turn out to be that. Not early but perhaps later. For next year, there is not one. I don't want to go look at all the ratings but I think our top one(Chevalier) is in the 50's or 60's. So unless Andrews is the one to the Horns for 2020, it appears Aston will strike out for that one difference maker in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Jacob Johnson

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Damn! As expected!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Let me guess. She took her OV and saw all the Conference championships and the 3 NC and said to herself at that moment she was committing there. Like I said before, they already know where they want to go by their JR year in high school.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Jacob Johnson

Yeah I really was not surprised by this one it was expected. If there was any doubt in my mind she was not going to baylor all of that went out the window the moment hannah gusters committed to baylor

16. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

2020 has played out exactly as some of us said it would.....and there you have it!!!!!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • poop poop x 2
  17. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yep, hopefully a good year on the court will translate over to 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

We have got to reestablish ourself in the DFW region! Too much talent up there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think it’s more about AAU / club affiliation in basketball. I feel like Coach Aston was try to do that with the hiring of Tiffany and her connections to the DFW elite program. Elyssa Coleman was the first DFW elite player that we’ve had since I think Empress.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We're all glad you are so happy that your Baylor team recruited better than we did . . .

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • poop poop x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

It IS what it IS....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  22. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Ah.. Nice of you to make your predictable, timely appearance where you been?:rolleyes1:

23. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Not my Baylor team and not happy about them having a better class than us!!! I want Texas to succeed. Don't have to be a fan to appreciate what Baylor has done. You, on the other hand, don't have the objectivity or class to do the same. That's not my problem!!! I told you exactly what was going to happen in recruiting and it has now come to fruition. NOW.....don't you have some unremarkable hobby like wood chopping or knitting to keep you busy???

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Just been laying low and, speaking of predictable, waiting for the predictable recruiting results to reveal themselves. I agree with you though that a good season on the court this year could turn the recruiting back around. Hopefully the team can get healthy and perform up to the potential that's there. If that happens it could be a really good season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Last week, I had resigned myself to the fact that Andrews was not coming to Texas when the guard from Harvard was committed. Hard to stomach after 3 years of recruiting hope. Even with that event, it still stung to see Andrews announcement in print. So must move on for my health......and suggest you do the same for yours as well. This season could be fun and good and rewarding if certain things happen. Most of those things are possible. Finishing second or third in the B12 would be good. There is only one national champion and it resides 90 miles up I35, so I am reminding myself to ignore it (except for two games). A good finish in conference, a good showing in the conference tournament, and a couple of wins in the The Dance is paramount to get this program back on track. This team CAN do that. If not there will be a lot of gnashing of teeth, whining, and worst of all.....deep dark depression, excessive misery, gloom, despair, and agony on me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  26. Jacob Johnson

Lol why does everyone feel like playing Baylor is an automatic loss? When Texas played them last season are main problem was stopping kalani brown. Not just in points but she would get many offensive boards.They also had an unexpected breakout performance with moon ursin. Other than that I felt Texas can definitely hang with them this year. Texas can match up with them position wise this season now that kalani brown is gone as well as chloe jackson. So to me I really do feel Texas can beat baylor. We have the talent to do so and with lashann higgs returning thats an even bigger boost. The main problem will be Lauren Cox and cooper. Mainly cox though if you shut her down then we are good. Easier said than done but I like joyner holmes on lauren cox. Joyner did pretty well last year guarding her so I do think Texas has a chance to beat baylor when fully healthy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I agree. I think our starting 5 can play with anyone, depth will obviously be a concern. I also think that a healthy Joyner is more TALENTED than Cox. Now, that doesn’t mean that she’s a better player. I’ve always felt the only difference between the two is Cox has a better motor.

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Joyner is more athletic, but Cox has done things I never thought she was capable of. She plays within herself very well. Cox is also considerably more polished and composed and has more skills overall. It will be interesting to see what kind of work Joyner put in during the offseason. I would love to see her be the kind of player we all thought she could be coming out of high school.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Agree. Holmes and Cox came into the league in the same year. In their first one-on-one matchup, it was obvious that Holmes was more advanced than Cox at that time. Cox, as expected for a freshman, seemed lost in the traffic sometimes. But since Baylor had a sophmore Kalaini Brown, it was no big deal. And we had Kelsey Lang as the counter to Brown.

The problem for Texas is that for her sophmore and junior year, Joyner has been one-foot-back-and-one-foot forward in terms of suspension and injury and getting physically behind when she finally sees the court in January of the season. And now, in a boot! And Cox has continued the natural progression of playing time and physical growth and Joyner didn't have. Our bad luck, her good luck.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. Jacob Johnson

Well joyner is out of the boot now and practicing with the team she said her injury was not serious the boot was a precaution. Also lauren cox had that injury last season but seems to be back 100% I do think joyner will have the best year she has had at Texas. Our problem is depth so if joyner and charli can stay out of foul trouble then Texas can play with anyone in the country. One advantage we do have is Texas bigs can run the floor and push the ball. Lauren cox and the transfer from tech erin degrate are not good at running the floor. Lashann higgs was great at running the floor before her injury. So with joanne and lashann and sug the pace should be very fast this season.. so it may seem like Texas is in a pickle this season but im very excited with the team we have this season. When healthy Texas can compete with anyone

• Winner Winner x 1