2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Felmas Koranga committed to Troy

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

So that leaves Warren, Ortiz, Benzan, Routt and Palmer as the players who have not gave an announcement on whether or not they are staying or transferring..... Just curious though can a coach take away a scholarship? Like could Schaefer come in and pull a scholarship from one of our current players if he needed to?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I believe the P5 conferences have agreed that scholarships are for the duration and are not to be taken away.

I knew these 5 had not been on record. Has Precious Johnson come out and said she plans to still come to Texas?

• Like Like x 2
  5. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

This was posted by Karisma a couple of days ago.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Not surprised by Allen-Taylor coming back. She'll be a junior this fall in Mechanical Engineering and starting over at another school would be tough. She's a school-first player and changing engineering schools is non-trivial (you would have to match up equivalent classes and might lose credits moving schools). Plus, she's the type of defender that Schaefer would like.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Derailing a thread topic here, but I hadn't focused on Allen-Taylor's school. It's a good point that she would stay for that reason alone. I know Vic has focused on Celeste and Charli but I think his #3 priority should be Allen-Taylor. She's a recruiting fit for what he likes at guard. I think she'll flourish under his style of play and will be a much more polished player leaving behind the out-of-control, turnover prone, crapfest tendencies of the last regime.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  8. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Great article; thanks for sharing.

Loved this from Elyssa:

"Of course, I'm staying," said Coleman. "Mainly because I've made my decision on not only the coaching staff, but on how amazing The University of Texas is all the way around. I'm super excited for what the future has to hold for our program with such an accomplished coach like Vic Schaefer."

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Good deal. Plus I heard Coach Vic say in one of his interviews, maybe Craig Way’s, that he recruited her a little bit out of high school.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Jacob Johnson

Well take karisma off the list:clap:

• Like Like x 5
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I sure hope Schaefer can help keep Celeste and Charli out of foul trouble . . .

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Just wandering through the ESPNW Hoopgurlz recruiting for 2020. Noticed that Miss State had the following: Madison Hays 28th; DeYona Gaston 90th. Don't know what Schaeffer's high school recruiting history is; however, it doesn't appear he is worried about not getting the top 10 recruits. Do I venture and use the "player development" term so inflammatory on this message board? I believe he dabbles in other areas...…..Australia, JUCO, transfers, etc......that complements the high school recruiting. The next few years, we may not be fawning over top 10 recruits. However, it is comforting to know that wherever they are ranked, it is probable that before all is said and done, the high school recruits will have the best opportunity to be impact players.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree! Based on his recent history, I don't think we have to worry about Vic and his staff coaching up players. From what I've seen out of him, he'll get the most out of whatever he has to work with. That's all I ask of a coach... and, for the record, that's all I ever asked.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Athletic scholarships used to be solely year-by-year. But reforms were made only like 2 years ago that permits 4-year scholarships. But it was not mandatory, it was permissive. Therefore, it could be a combination of both.

• Like Like x 1
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not necessarily related to our change in coaches, but with all that is happening in our country right now, I'm wondering if some signed high school seniors will have second thoughts about wanting to go to college far away from home, but instead ask to be released from their signed LOI's due to health and family concerns. If that becomes a trend, it could hurt some schools, and benefit others.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  17. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jacob Johnson

So looks like Vic Schaefer will work with what he has. Very excited to see how he turns this program around:hookem:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

So has lauren-Jenee Ebo transferred to Texas? Officially?

• Like Like x 1
  21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Don’t know but I think this might impact Precious Johnson

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

She has committed, not signed.

Unofficially official, if you will.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, it's not "official" until Texas issues an official statement that she has signed financial agreement paperwork.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Jacob Johnson

Finally!! Wasn't she supposed to transfer to Mississippi state before Vic Schaefer left?

25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I wouldn’t think but you never know. From what I’ve read, Precious has good potential but needs time to develop so not a plug and play starting center as a freshman.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  26. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

She was rumored to be ‘days away from signing’ with MSU when coaching change was announced; wish she would be immediately eligible, but I don’t see it happening. We are gonna need another experienced big next year

• Like Like x 2
  27. Jacob Johnson

Yeah there is no telling with the NCAA because there were many cases who should have been accepted that were denied and there also were some cases who were accepted that should have been denied so hopefully she is one of the cases that gets accepted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Congratulations to Shay!

• Like Like x 8
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Writeup on Shay Holle's award:

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Shay Holle, sr., Westlake

A versatile 6-foot wing pledged to Texas, Holle capped a splendid prep career with another stellar season. Holle, a four-year starter, led the Chaps with 18.2 points and eight rebounds a game, and she also had two steals per contest. Holle guarded everyone from post guard to post, and her defensive versatility helped Westlake hold opponents to 39.5 points a game while rolling to a 32-7 record and the school’s first regional final since 2003. “Her greatest strength as a player is how relentless she is,” Westlake coach Katie Hensle told the Statesman. “This shows up on the stat sheet with her rebounding, steals, deflections. It shows up in how hard she runs the floor and her touches in the paint. No one outworks her.

All-Central Texas girls basketball team: Westlake's Shay Holle leads list of honorees

30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Based on what the article says about how relentless and versatile a defender she is, she should be a good for the style CVS deploys.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1