2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

After yesterday's announcement, this could go in the 2018 thread but it's been awhile for Deja.

• Like Like x 8
  2. ArHornFan

ArHornFan < 25 Posts

Sasha Goforth has been turning heads at the Blue Star 30 camp:

She, Deja Kelly, and Elauna Eaton all just started following each on Twitter during the camp too (not that it means much except that they must have positively connected in some way).

• Like Like x 4
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Lots of talent in the 2020 class. This tweet is from Jordyn Merritt's mom. Jordyn, Sasha and Deja are on the same team.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Very impressive distance shooting from Deja...

• Like Like x 5
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  6. LutherIsMyDog

Sarah Andrews comes in as the #2 prospect. I did not realize that she and Deja are both designated as PGs.

Other notable rankings, Sasha Goforth #12, Jordyn Merritt #15, Deja Kelly #17, Myra Gordon #22.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Lots of time between now and the time the 2020 kids sign. But, I'm not getting my hopes up about Goforth (even though we offered her early this year) since she camped at South Carolina this summer. That doesn't guarantee anything, but one think that making the trip from Arkansas to South Carolina indicates a very high level of interest in the Gamecocks.

For us, just great that these young players like Sarah Andrews, Jordyn Merritt, Myra Gordon, and Hannah Gusters chose to attend our summer camp.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  8. ArHornFan

ArHornFan < 25 Posts

We are definitely in the mix for Sasha Goforth (I know the family and her dad is a UT alum). South Carolina may be in the mix too but my understanding is that she went to that camp because she had a ride there with two of her AAU teammates.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Thanks. Appreciate you sharing those details.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Found a few of these (1 on each class) - a lot of Texas targets and a commit in this one:

• Like Like x 1
  11. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Random, but a tweet from Deyona Gaston sporting the Horns T-shirt!

• Like Like x 2
  12. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Nice catch, Luther. These VERY early rankings fascinate me - I enjoy comparing them to actual success on the college court 4-5 years later.

Nice to see we have the only commit at this early stage (as well with the P/N top 25) https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2020

At 6'6", I suspect Cardosa will receive a bunch of attention.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Coach A retweeted this:

• Like Like x 3
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

ESPN article:
    "Clark, who has a 3.8 GPA, started picking up scholarship offers last summer. Iowa, Texas, Iowa State, Michigan State -- they have all asked Clark to join their roster in 2020. Others will surely follow."

It would be nice to pick a great player out of ISU's backyard considering how much of a pain in the behind they've been recently. While the article doesn't mention Notre Dame, they have a very strong track record with elite players in the Midwest. To top it off, Clark goes to a Catholic high school.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Her ability to pass the ball where her teammates are going to be rather than at them is outstanding. I am glad the coaches have established contact with her.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Incredible ball skills for a Senior, let alone a Sophomore. Tiny critique....she has 3 years to work on handling the ball with her left hand more.

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She's on my wishlist for 2020:

• Like Like x 5
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am more impressed with the depth in-state of the 2020 class than the 2019 class, especially since so many of them camped with us in June:

• Like Like x 2
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Any Texas fan would do backflips if this duo ended up the starting backcourt for the Horns in 2022:

Baylor has had a nice run with Irving MacArthur guards (Sims/Alexis Jones), Karen needs to break the streak.

• Like Like x 5
  22. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 4
  23. LutherIsMyDog

Additionally, Suzie Oelschlegel, the head coach at Irving MacArthur, played basketball at Baylor.

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Obviously, we're have a great recruiting run under Coach Aston.

The 2017 in-state class was deep with nationally-ranked elite PGs. Even though we had just signed Alecia Sutton in the 2016 class, that didn't stop Coach A from landing Chasity Patterson

The 2018 in-state class is deep with nationally-ranked forwards and post players. Even though we signed Joyner in 2016 and Rellah in 2017, Coach A lands Sedona and Charli.

Based on ProspectNation's rankings, the 2020 class is super deep with elite PGs from across the country. Even though they list Deja Kelly at PG, I'm not sure that's the position she plays in club, and where she is projected in college.

Knowing that Sarah Andrews, Hannah Gusters, and Jordyn Merritt attended our summer camp in June, that hopefully is a good sign of their interest in our program.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I can't imagine how the coaches "project" how their roster will look in 2019 or 2020 and which players and positions they need/target, especially when so many things change over time.

At PG come 2019-20, we will have Alecia Sutton as a senior and Chasity Patterson as a junior. So, assuming none of our guard verbals (Joann Allen-Taylor, Audrey Warren and Deja Kelly) are well-suited to play PG, do we target a pure PG like Jaden Owens to join the 2019-20 roster in order to give us a more depth and a third PG?

Or, do we bypass taking another PG until the 2020 class and put our focus on a PG like Sarah Andrews? That would mean having a senior PG in Chasity and a freshman PG for 2020-21?

If you think further to 2021-22, and we did not take a PG in 2019 but instead signed one in 2020 (such as Andrews) that means the 2021-22 roster would have only a sophomore PG. Would have no choice but then sign a PG for the 2021 class just to have two on the roster.

Hopefully, some our guard verbals are skilled enough to play the point when necessary. Otherwise, seems to me like we'd be wise to target a PG for 2019, or a true combo guard at a minimum.

26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

With Brooke leaving, I think Coach Aston definitely tries to get a PG in 2019. I'd bet she would still point to her first year (having to start true fresh Celina when she wasn't really ready) as one of the toughest coaching tasks she's had. 3 is probably the ideal number, especially if they are legitimate scoring threats as well.

27. LutherIsMyDog

Good points Mooooo. If we were fortunate enough to land Christyn Williams, do you think she can play PG if necessary?

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I originally thought that Christyn was a PG when she first appeared on the recruiting lists. But, seems like SG or even SF is where she plays in high school and club, although not positive; just haven't seen any references to her playing PG recently. So many college teams are playing with 3 guards these days based on having more depth in the back court; so, would seem a head coach would do what is necessary to get Christyn Williams on the floor, even if it means sacrificing a little bit of height at SF.

Would love some feedback from anyone who has watched Cy-Fair play; how are Deja Kelly, Christyn Williams, Jaden Owens, and Audrey Warren used? Which is there more natural position?

• Like Like x 1
  29. LutherIsMyDog

Hannah Gusters was visiting this weekend.

• Like Like x 5
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Good find on Hannah Gusters being on campus for yesterday's game. That's a great sign, especially since she also attended our summer camp in June. I'd have to assume she's one of our main targets for the 2020 class.

Hoping that the trio of 2018 Duncanville players who committed to Kansas recently don't end up swaying Hannah to Lawrence instead of Austin.

Looks like that was back/side of Destiny Littleton's head in one photo.