2020 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jul 17, 2016.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Good to see the coaching staff still working longstanding commits...

Johnson (Deja) lost what was, effectively, the district championship game...

• Like Like x 2
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Have to believe they were also there for the dismantling of TCU...

• Like Like x 2
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Deja close to getting 1000 points this season! She continues to impress.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LutherIsMyDog

Kamaria Gipson enters the 1000 point club.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Kamaria Gipson was in attendance for KSU game:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Deja Kelly playoffs - Johnson is the 2nd place team in District 26 and Vandegrift was the 3rd place team in District 26. Should be a good game. Johnson depends a lot on Deja to score for them. Since this is an 8p game this is probably a double header. Not sure who the other teams may be? Whoever wins this game will probably play Cibolo Steele who has had a great year.
    Monday, February 12 @ 8p. Game Details: At Dripping Springs High School
    upload_2018-2-11_13-54-31.png

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Jordan Merritt Playoffs - Plano (28-6) District 6 Champion vs. Hurst L.D. Bell (19-12) 4th place team District 5, 7:00 Monday at Coppell.
    upload_2018-2-11_14-52-4.png
    From the Dallas Morning News article: Plano (28-6): The health of four-star recruit Jordyn Merritt will help determine how far the state's fourth-ranked 6A team can go in the playoffs. Merritt, who scored a combined 42 points in back-to-back wins over state-ranked McKinney and Allen on Jan. 19 and Jan. 23, missed the last three games of the regular season with an ankle injury.
    Point of note: L. D. Bell is the HS that 2020 recruit Myra Gordon plays for. Prospects Nation has Jordyn ranked #15 and Myra ranked #22 in the 2020 class.

• Like Like x 3
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Deja’s stat line from first round playoff game. 45 points on 28 shots.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Coach George was watching Kamaria Gipson on Monday night:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  12. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Sarah Andrews is a dynamic, quick, smooth 5’-7” sophomore point guard. I certainly didn’t see anything that says she is not the number one point guard in nation for 2020. She is a drive and finish/dish artist. Her being a lefty really gives her an advantage. Wonderful handle with excellent hesitation dribble then explodes past defense when they relax. Allen has good, quick guards and they couldnt keep her out of the paint. She moves the ball so effortlessly it seems like it is part of her. She did get called for palming the ball once but that slight of hand gets her a lots of advantage as well. She has tremendous court vision in the half-court as well as full. Her long passes on the break were perfect. There is work to be done however. She rarely goes right and if she does, she always comes back left. The one time she took it to the rim right handed she looked uncomfortable and missed a bunny. Her mid-range is non-existent. She has an excellent pull-up floater that McCarty would be proud of. Her BTA shot was off in the first half and I am guessing 0-5. In the second half she made 4-6 and they were NBA threes that brought rain. Really got the big crowd amped. Her body language was good. She didn’t get upset with team-mates that couldn’t handle her on-spot passes. Good stamina as she played entire game. Didn’t rest on defense. She has plenty of time to work on right hand and mid-range.....sophomore. Reminds me of Odyssey Sims who also went to Irving MacArthur. There are a lot of excellent sophomore point guards; however, she is simply outstanding now against older competition. It would take an exceptional player to be better. She is a take. The question is who does she like? My source says Texas has been talking to her a lot and she is receptive. Also in the running is an SEC school that The Round Man of Rebound took money from a long time ago, and a AAC school whose men’s coach recently got fired for bribes, and other schools. You will have to guess who those 2 are.

• Like Like x 5
  13. LutherIsMyDog

Andrews seems like a true point guard who is comfortable with the responsibility of running and directing the offense. I believe you've seen Nyah Green play. Can you compare the two? [ Tangent: Although I'm reluctant to say this about a player I've never seen in person, I'm curious as to why some recruiting services have Nyah slotted as the #1 recruit in the nation. Her stats are good but they don't stand out to me as the "best in the nation good". ]

My main concern is Baylor being Andrew's favorite school. Her HS coach played basketball for the Bears as did Odyssey Sims. Legacy connections can play a part in influencing a player's decisions.

Harmoni Turner of Mansfield is a 2020 recruit that intrigues me. Mansfield did not make the playoffs so she is no longer playing this year. Keep an eye/ear out for anything you read/hear about Harmoni. There's mutual interest between her and our coaches on Twitter so I'll be curious if anything more substantial develops during her Jr year.

Thanks again for the detailed report.

• Like Like x 2
  14. LutherIsMyDog

In my last message, I mentioned a 2020 recruit, Harmoni Turner. Here's a face to put with the name.

• Like Like x 2
  15. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Luther...........I have only seen Green once on TV and ........Andrews once on Friday. So filter my opinions please. Green is a taller, athletic, fast, rangy 2 guard who can play the 3. I don't see her as a 1. Andrews is a 1 all the way, although she did play a little off the ball at times to rest.......but eventually came and got the ball. Green has a lot more talent around her so that factors into her stats. For Irving Mac to be successful, Andrews has to take the reins. I think Green is a very good player but in my fair and biased opinion not as good as always has been talked about. Two different players at different positions. I am tempted to see Duncanville (Green) vs Allen on Tuesday to get a first hand look. However, I think the better game will be Plano vs Cedar Hill. Texas is only in on Gusters of those 4 teams and not sure how hard they recruiting her. Related to Andrews.......your comment that Baylor was her favorite school..........has she said that? Or did legacy tendencies influencing you? Remember that Jones from Irving McArthur went to Duke first and ended up at Baylor..........but her brother Andrew ended up at Texas...........so sometimes families go different directions. Where she Andrews camps this summer might be a hint. Or not.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LutherIsMyDog

Flash--Andrews has not mentioned Baylor as a favorite (to my knowledge). Sorry for the confusion of my comment. I was only concerned that BU would be a favorite due to the connections.

Thx for the details on Green. I don't hear/read much about her so I don't know much about her style of play.

17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Perhaps your thinking is correct. However, I choose to think that Baylor is NOT her favorite. She seems too bright for that. My source .....who should know .....said Texas/Auburn/Louisville with others hovering. Of course it is a long time till commitment time so lots could change. In the interim, I only see burnt orange

• Like Like x 3
  18. LutherIsMyDog

That's encouraging news on Andrew's list of schools. From your description of her game, I think she would thrive under Aston.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Kamaria Gipson with 14 points and 17 rebounds to help Beeville advance to the next round:

• Like Like x 5
  20. LutherIsMyDog

Kylee Watson visited South Carolina last weekend. As a little background, Kylee is a 2020 Center prospect from Mainland Regional HS in New Jersey. @Oakman has mentioned Kylee as one of the players that have impressed him in the games he has watched in the tournaments in Philadelphia area.

Our coaches follow her on Twitter and it will be interesting to see if anything more serious materializes between Texas and Kylee.

In one of the photos, Kylee only gives an inch to Aja Wilson. Kylee, as a high school sophomore, can see eye to eye with Aja who is 6'5".

• Like Like x 4
  21. Oakman

Oakman Guest

She is the real deal, she will be a stud on the next level. Even though S. Carolina does a good job with its post she is more of a hybrid so I feel she is a better fit In the Longhorns scheme both on the offensive and defensive side. She has a high motor who can run the floor with most of the elite guards in the country and still have a huge post presence. She is a consistent mid range shooter from being almost a complete player

• Like Like x 8
  22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

love that description of her play. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Can we get a commitment.....today?
    :lmao:

24. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Watson Commitment today? Absolutely NOT ! Give that young lady a burnt orange uniform right now and run her out there tonight against the Evil Empire from Wacko. Her photos show she looks good in orange.........but it needs to be burnt.

• Like Like x 3
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Deja with an outstanding sophomore season.

• Like Like x 5
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  27. LutherIsMyDog

Myra Gordon received a post-season award.

On a side note, the talent in the 2020 class is so deep, I wouldn't be surprised if Aston saves a scholarship(s) if she doesn't get who she wants in the 2019 class.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Had forgotten bout Deyona Gaston from Pearland:

• Like Like x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Normal speed:

• Like Like x 2
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It really is hard for me to make up a wishlist of 4 players from the 2020 clas6'3 hs as we don't even know how the 2019 class will finish out; but, these things don't always happen in order (for example, Deja Kelly has been committed for many years).

Unlike the 2019 class, I think our 2020 class will be most or all in-state kids; just so much elite talent from what I've read. Several have attended our summer camps, practices, games, etc. over the last few months, so that is very encouraging.

Those video clips of Deyona Gaston definitely show her leaping ability. Not sure if she is as tall as the 6'3 height I've seen her listed, but it doesn't matter based on her hops. She seems like a future power forward in college; we'd be losing Joyner Holmes, so Gaston could be a great addition.

• Like Like x 1