2020 Softball Season

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Ellis21d, Jun 12, 2019.

1. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Washington is batting .650, Hathaway .300. Try Washington leading off? Miranda/Courtney hits for herself, the other DP.

2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm glad that our current problem is having too many good hitters and not enough spots in the hitting lineup for all of them! :D

Even Lauren Burke saw limited play this series in Puerto Vallarta.

I think Elish has to be in the hitting lineup more often than not, especially in games against the tough teams; rest her against the less-talented teams,and then sub her out when she is DP'ing once we get big leads.

The trio of Ellsworth, Iakopo, and Sullivan seem somewhat interchangeable; but, based on the first couple of weekends, Iakopo is set at third base. Colleen Sullivan has earned her playing time offensively; so, she either needs to play catcher or first base. That leaves Ellsworth somewhat on the outside looking in.

Seems like Courtney Day could continue to work her way into more at-bats, one way or another. Glad she has the ability to play SS for us, but not sure if at the level good enough to unseat Slack.

I haven't bother to look at the updated individual hitting statistics, but I'm sure they'll dictate who gets more playing opportunities this coming week.

I'd say that those I want in the hitting lineup (as much as possible) include: Elish, Sullivan, Iakopo, Jefferson, and Rhodes. Pretty sure Hathaway is entrenched as the lead-off hitter. So, that only leaves 3 spots in the hitting lineup.

I read the other day that Jefferson has never hit a homerun in her collegiate career; is that accurate?

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

In that case, find a way to keep Washington in the batting lineup. What was her role last year?

4. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

She was the regular left fielder. She was not a good outfielder, I am glad to see someone else playing that position.

5. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I don't know how he is going to have a set lineup. Honestly not having a set lineup seems to be working and I think he possibly could stick with changing the lineup depending on the team but this is a problem that is not a bad problem at all. If Washington becomes the DP then that would mean either Day would not be in the lineup and I think she is someone we need in the lineup. I really don't want to see elish in any position besides pitching because no injuries need to be risked. Either way I think it will be a game by game basis

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jacob Johnson

1:42:40..... can someone explain to me how this was a triple play? I keep watching it but I only see the out at home plate and the tag on Jefferson. I must be overlooking something because I don't see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was watching the game between UCLA and Florida State and I started thinking about their catchers, all freshman with that one odd grad student (she played 3 years at San Diego State, graduated, had a kid and then 2 years later UCLA convinced to come back to grad school and play for them).

In 2019, their championship year, they played 62 games. Of those games, Colleen Sullivan started in 32 of the games. That year, they had 2 senior catchers and 1 freshman - Sully.

I've heard that it "wasn't a good fit" between her and her UCLA coaches. Wow, we really struck gold with her.

This year, UCLA has 4 catchers. 2 true freshmen, 1 RS freshman and the "Mom" grad student.

8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Stat comparison after PV tournament
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

the only possibility is the runner going from 1st to 2nd was called out for running out of the base path.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Jacob Johnson

Anyone have any insight on how we can watch the game vs north Texas on tv? It wont be on longhorn network because Texas baseball got the spot and they start at 4 against lamar so I hope they put a stream out for the rest of us who cannot attend.

11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm going to the game and will look to see if they have cameramen working or not. If they aren't even there, then obviously there won't be any sort of broadcast later.

12. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

I thought Parker was the third out?

13. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

It's going to be tape delayed on LHN at 9pm. I'm not sure if WatchESPN will have a LIVE stream option or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Wow, hadn't been that high in quite a while....ever really?
    1) I can't believe Washington got dinged so badly for losing one game, whereas
    2) OU got rewarded for losing one game to an unranked team
    3) Oregon, after having most of the team transfer out and quit after Mike White left, is really grinding their way up - must be the coaching!
    4) Alabama drops only 1 after losing multiple games?
    5) FSU moves UP? After losing a couple of games?

[shakes head]

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

The runner from first merely avoided the defender who was in her path fielding the ball. Which is required of the base-runner. The defender never attempted a tag. Maybe she left early ? The Mexicans only got two outs ( at home and tag out at third ). Not sure WTH they called a third out for...Also question ....IF they called runner from first out, that takes the force of the other bases, thus catcher would have had to TAG runner coming from third trying to score !!! If there was not an out or 2 prior to Parker swinging the umps messed up. If that is the case they screwed Texas over !!!!!!!

17. stephen guerra

stephen guerra First Time Poster

I was listening to the broadcast and the announcer indicated that Parker was the third out because she "vacated the base". I do not know what that means?

18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Week 2:
    [​IMG]

We're #2! We're #2! We're #2!

• Like Like x 2
  19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Bummed about losing to Duke. But really, in our hearts maybe we know we're going to lose a handful in the next couple of games? 2 games against Louisiana, UCLA(!), Washington(!), Michigan. In our hearts we hope to end up 3-2 in the next week.

Looking at how long we've had a streak to start a season until it snapped. The streak and then the team that broke it:

2020: 14, Duke
    2109: 6, LSU
    2018: 2, Wisconsin
    2017: 0, Minnesota
    2016: 11, Tulsa
    2015: 1, Oregon
    2014: 3, UNI
    2013: 13, Tulsa
    2012: 10, Florida
    2011: 10, Florida
    2010: 11, Fresno State
    2009: 3, Iowa
    2008: 0, UTSA
    2007: 4, Utah
    2006: 2, Arizona
    2005: 7, Cal
    2004: 5, Cal State Fullerton
    2003: 16, Michigan
    2002: 2, Arizona
    2001: 1, Missouri

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

After 15 games a good picture of this team is coming into view - 1 dominate pitcher (who can hit); better fielding in the infield; and improved hitting. The question mark is still at the plate. How much improvement and more critically how much more in critical situations? We will know more by the end of the day on 01 March.

21. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Agree on 2 of your 3 categories. Fielding is the only thing that the teams under the new coaching staff has done worse than the old.
    [​IMG]
    The reason I'm a bit compulsive on this subject is that I use OU as the benchmark for our team. The question is, "Can we win 2 out of 3 against OU this year?". Every year, much like we use Baylor as our WBB benchmark [I don't want to talk about it!]

This year:
    Pitching: Texas (1.48) > OU (2.37)
    Hitting: Texas (.422) > OU (.304)
    Fielding: Texas (.953) < OU (.978)

It's frustrating to see 3 errors charged to Jefferson, all in the same game.

22. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Construction progress on new offices and practice facilities:
    [​IMG]

23. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Agree. I am also disturbed by the lack of awareness of the game. She missed the hit and run sign yesterday, benched, and in a later game just slowly walked to 2nd when the ball was in play. She should have hustled to 2nd then waited to see the umps call rather than stand around between 1st and 2nd.

24. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

My wife was watching from home and explained to me about the slow walk to second. The Duke SS threw it past the 1st baseman. The ball wedged somewhere in the gates, but the Duke 1st baseman(?) or was it second baseman quickly snatched it from the gate. My wife said that she thought Jefferson was waiting for the umps to immediately call dead ball and advance the runners. But that didn't happen and she went, "Oh, better hustle over to second". Or as you said, maybe she wasn't being focused.

On the other hand, she made two outstanding stop-and-throws during that game as well.

25. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

After a long weekend of play, some stat comparisons:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The big jump is the horrible second game against Lipscomb.

• Like Like x 1
  26. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Stats are for losers !!!!
    We find out what kind of team we have with Ws and Ls over the next few days going against real teams like UCLA, Washington, Louisiana, Michigan. Hope we are good this year, because we will be without Elish next year.

27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Ws and Ls are in itself, "stats"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  28. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

No they are your RECORD.

29. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

If we can go 2-2 or better we will be ok. Those teams are solid.

• Like Like x 1
  30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts