2020 Softball Season

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Ellis21d, Jun 12, 2019.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

After the loss to Fresno State and the squeaker to beat Michigan, I was contemplating how well our team was doing, compared to our historical experience. The last, best team to make it to the WCWS was the 2013 team led by senior Blaire Luna.*

My memory of that team was that we always went into games pretty sure that we were going to win and that Blaire was going to be pitching 2 out of 3 games of a 3-game stand. And, we hovered at the #4 spot for long time, even after some losses.

Doing a count of W-L of 2013 and comparing it to 2020, I find that we were/are both 19-3 after 22 games.

In 2013, the 3 losses at the 22 game mark were:
    1) Tulsa - okay, they went 42-16-1 that year
    2) Hofstra - hunh? okay, they went 46-13 that year
    3) Fordham - wtf? mmm, they went 36-23

So far our three losses:
    1) Duke - now 14-4
    2) Louisiana - now 13-5
    3) Fresno State - now 15-4

Not bad. This will be helpful when it comes to the RPI and deciding hosting of Regionals/Super-Regionals.

I hope we don't get dinged for having construction going on at McCombs. Some negatives:
    1) one dugout does not have restrooms. They have two porta-potties in the shared bullpen or using the public women's restrooms (which is what visiting players have mostly been using)
    2) Sharing bullpen and batting cages. Visiting teams have to trot over to the far right crossing behind home plate coming/going during the game. They do this during breaks in the batting.

I've been there in my seats when an NCAA official comes by for "grading" purposes to check out our stadium near the end of the year to give a report back about conditions (field, stands, ushers, etc...) when considering awarding regionals.

*I asked my 16 yr daughter if she remembered Blaire pitching when she was 9. She said yes, but she found it boring that Blaire pitched almost every single time! Oh, to be a 9 year old!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Just
    Speaking of Oklahoma. Does anyone know if G Juarez is injured this season? I looked and saw she has only pitched 6 innings total this season. I was wondering if she is coming back from an injury or did she just get passed up by other pitchers??

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I don’t think any specifics have been released but I would think it has to be an injury, there’s no way she’s down the depth chart. She’s a beast. Hate it for her, love it for us. Hoping she has a speedy recovery, starting March 23rd ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Once again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

• Like Like x 2
  6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  7. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Progress on the new softball annex:
    [​IMG]
    Right side of picture is where the original location and to be restored bullpen(?).

8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Next thing needed will be adding seats to the main structure. If Mike White keeps winning they will need them. I understand some games are already completely sold out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

People who say this don't understand how they play a role in the W & L numbers. It's one way coaches know what's working and not working with their team. I have never met a coach who doesn't use stats to help make coaching decisions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

And the upcoming weekend games have been cancelled. Better safe than infected.

14. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Well, fvck!! The season's gone. What a damn shame because these girls had a real shot this year...

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Jacob Johnson

My prayers have been answered

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Got my email from ticket office I can:
    1) "donate" the value of my remaining tickets to the school in support of student athletes
    2) get a credit for the unused tickets and the unused pro-rated value of my parking pass (nice)
    3) get cash back for unused portions

2020 is officially outta here. No mythical July WCWS.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Texas cracks me up. The wealthiest athletic department probably in the world is asking you to donate your ticket funds to support the athletes? What a joke. I'm guessing the revenue from season tickets this year is under $10k with 1/3 or more of the games already played. If everyone wanted their money back they're only at risk for maybe $6k.

18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Hey, you never know until you ask! Ha-ha. If they had said something like, "If you would like to donate credits towards GA tickets for teams or organizations next season" (high school or club softball teams), then maybe I would have considered it.

19. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

I really hope in the down time Coach Singleton gets even more work with the hitters and they come back next year mashing even more.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jacob Johnson

As of right now teams are not allowed to practice and all facilities have been closed and most of the athletes have already been dismissed to return home during this time. Hopefully they are still putting in work on this hiatus to come back better next season.

21. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

22. Jacob Johnson

Congratulations to Miranda Elish!! Can't wait to see what she brings next seaosn. Everyone better be scared next season when they play Texas because she is getting Another year of coaching from Mike White and Steve Singleton so there is no telling how dominant she will be in 2021:hookem::hookem:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Final season rankings, or what I call "Everyone Gets a Participation Trophy" ranking
    Yellow = they didn't provide a final ranking
    Red = changes since Week 5 ranking
    Washington-Texas swapped places
    Oregon-Louisiana swapped palces
    Kentucky bumped OK-State
    [​IMG]

24. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Great interview with Miranda Elish from the Big 12. She is a classy representative for Texas Softball!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Progress on the new offices and training facility:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Updated progress:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  27. Jacob Johnson

Wow it's coming along very fast and it's much bigger than what I originally thought

28. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

My wife is in the construction business (engineer) and used to work for UT in their engineering dept. When I showed her the pictures and said, "You think it'll be done November?" She scoffed and said it'll be done over the summer.

The parking lot next to right field is full of trailers with lots and lots of steel beams waiting to be installed in the new Moody arena.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Shea O’Leary pitched a perfect game against Baylor last year. Am I missing something? Why does that not count??

30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

"Texas pitcher at home"

• Agree Agree x 2