2021 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

You rarely see basketball players that transfer because of a coaching change follow the coach to the next school anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Still would have been nice. We need at least 2 players to really get us going. I say small foward and another post

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

TCU player to LSU

4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Looks as though Mississippi State will keep it's roster in tact and that's a great thing for Nikki McCray. Excited to see her get a chance at maintaining a top program versus pulling one out of mediocrity.

However... I still expect to see us add more to our roster. I think the pending vote over the new transfer rule could be creating a holding pattern, and also I think there will be incoming freshman who want to be released out of LOI's as @Moooooo pointed out due to the pandemic.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I wouldn't get too high or too low about those MSU players who have gone on social media indicating they plan to continue their careers there; I mean, it's been like 48 hours or so since their new head coach was named. Same goes for our players, even though it's been one week.

My point is that emotions run high so soon after all this change. There will be more change to come, I'm sure. None of the players in either program has met the head coach or assistant coaches in person due to all the logistics at this time. Some players will continue to think about their future day in and day out for the next several weeks/months. Some might not like their new position coach (as none have been named).

Some who made very adamant decisions that they will stay put will probably have a change of heart for their own reasons, and decide moving on will be in their best interest.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Sure hoping so. :hookem:

7. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

It sure seems like most people posting about potential transfers are either viewing the NCAA transfer vote as a done deal for 2020/21 or they don't realize that as of right now basketball isn't like softball (there is no transfer help for 2020/21 except grad transfers and waivers, which the NCAA clamped down on last year).

I really can't see the NCAA granting the one time transfer for next year. With the transfer portal they already have a fire, this change is throwing gasoline on that. In light of the stance the NCAA took in 2019/20 with NOT granting waivers I'm a little surprised they are even having a vote. Littleton didn't get a waiver. Ortiz, who lost her previous coach, didn't get one. Prince, who spun the narrative she didn't get adequate medical treatment and attention at Texas, didn't get one.

Couple this change with the pandemic fallout though? The fall semester and fall sports are hanging under a cloud. The schools already have to deal with spring sport seniors coming back and recruits arriving along with them. I'd be really surprised if the athletic directors and conference chairs weren't telling the NCAA don't you dare throw a one time transfer rule on me for the 2020/21 season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Interesting take and certainly a valid one, I view it a bit differently though. The portal has only created a "fire" because it is not applied adequately between students or coaches. As long as you have the "coaches can do it but players cannot" disparity you will always have a major problem on your hands. Especially today where inequality along gender, racial and socioeconomic lines are at the forefront of almost every major conversation in America. Circumstances dictate the outcome which creates a headache in and of itself. By standardizing the rules (all first time transfers are eligible immediately regardless of circumstance, any transfer after that subject to the 1 year sit-out with exceptions only in the case of extreme hardships) you give everyone a little bit of something.

To me it feels like a foregone conclusion that they will vote yes on this rule so to the question of when it would take effect, I would have to think it would be immediately. This rule naturally favors the larger P5 schools so I cant picture many of those AD's saying "wait another year". Most of them could even see it as a viable path toward balancing the the newly accounted for scholarships of returning players by encouraging coaches to help those kids out the door to other schools. Because at the end of the day, they can always dictate to their individual coaches not to take on any transfers for this year if there are budget constraints. Just cant imagine them not wanting their programs to have every option available to them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I don't disagree with your points about student athletes being able to transfer. But I'm not sure how anyone gets to this being a foregone conclusion with how they've been handling waivers lately. If they were leaning in that direction, why wouldn't Ortiz have been granted a waiver this past season?

10. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I also think it’s a forgone conclusion and the only debate will be whether to implement it in 20 or 21.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

Lauren Ebo is following Vic to Texas!

• Like Like x 1
  12. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Here's some game video of Ebo I posted a few days ago:

14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Well for those complaining about our bigs shooting jump shots and not scoring enough on the block here you go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I vote for immediate transfer eligibility ! Since she is a sophomore we need that. If it happens, then our need for another experienced big is done.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yesssirrrr!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Big and physical! :headbang:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jacob Johnson

Now we have the perfect set of post players. One who can shoot and work the post and one who is just outright physical:hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  19. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

charli as a stretch 4?

:D

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I guess we owe former PSU head coach (and current OU assistant coach) Coquese Washington some gratitude as we now have two former Nittany Lions on our roster! :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Jacob Johnson

Lol if she gets immediate eligibility then I think so. Just curious though who do you all think starts at point guard?

22. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I have no idea because we don’t no where Katie Benzan stands and whether or not the coaches are going to try to get a different grad transfer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  23. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I would like to see:

K. Benzan
    C. Taylor
    K. Ortiz
    E. Coleman
    C. Collier

or if Benzan is better as a 2 guard than PG

A. Chevalier/JAT
    K. Benzan
    C. Taylor
    K. Ortiz
    C. Collier

(assuming Ebo will not be immediately eligible)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

25. Jacob Johnson

26. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I don’t think so. Ohio state had 4 or 5 a couple seasons ago.

27. Jacob Johnson

Okay good so I hope we go after some that way they get immediate eligibility since Vic just got here that will give him depth until he gets the time to recruit for 2021.

28. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

The quiet around Benzan is deafening. If I remember it correctly, Benzan was announced "around" the time that Andrews committed to Baylor. I thought at the time that Aston went for Benzan because she knew Andrews was going elsewhere. In reading the clips at the time, the Harvard coach or someone close said admirable things about her. However, also said that there would have to be some adjustment from her moving from Harvard to a Power 5 League. That was not a ringing endorsement for her being the starting point guard. So if the silence goes on much longer, I am thinking that either Schaeffer has decided no...….or Benzan has decided no. By now something should have come out. My uneducated guess is there will be a different point guard transfer from somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I think it’s up to Benzan at this point. She’s already signed the scholarship paperwork IIRC. I believe that has to be honored by the school should she still decide to come.

30. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I agree. There’s no way Vic isn’t gonna honor it, she’s good and we need her. It’ll 100% be up to her. I think she’s coming