2021 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Very true. The safety of the athletes is the most important thing. I admit when they first suggested playing sports without fans I was not happy about it but now that sports are gone completely I will take anything they have to offer to get sports back and if it keeps the athletes safe during that process.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Don't know what it all means as far as transfers for this coming season:

DI Board of Directors and Presidential Forum discuss future of division

Transfers
    The groups also received an update from the Transfer Waiver Working Group. That group, appointed by the board last fall, was charged with studying potential changes to the waiver process. Waiver guidelines can be changed at any time, and that group has recommended that waiver guidelines allow the opportunity for a one-time transfer waiver for student-athletes in the five sports not legislatively allowed to transfer and compete immediately: men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball, men’s ice hockey and football. The waiver criteria would mirror the legislative opportunity for student-athletes in other sports. The Division I Council could vote on the guideline changes as early as its May meeting.

The waiver working group also recommended the board lift the moratorium on transfer legislation to allow the membership to consider proposals that could provide permanent access to the one-time transfer opportunity for all Division I student-athletes.

The board agreed to lift the moratorium on transfer legislation for the 2020-21 legislative cycle but recommended to the Council that changes to the waiver process as suggested by the working group are not appropriate at this time. Board members recommended the waiver process be sensitive to student-athlete well-being, especially those impacted by COVID-19 in the interim period.

4. Jacob Johnson

B
    So does that mean they will be more lenient when it comes transfers meaning they will grant more waivers than deny?

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I want a waiver for Lauren Ebo!

Bohls: Options galore for Smart, Texas players

3. On a roll. Vic Schaefer is just killing it. He’s been on the job as Texas women’s basketball coach three weeks and already has landed two national top-20 commitments, including the best player in Oklahoma in 6-foot-1 forward Aaliyah Moore and the top point guard in Texas. With three commits, including Penn State transfer Lauren Ebo, who hopes to get a waiver and be eligible immediately, Schaefer has just one roster spot left with all returnees expected to be back, a school source said.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but college age athletes have a truly minute chance of being affected even if they contract this virus. It's dangerous for old farts like us and immuno-compromised people, not healthy young ones.

7. Jacob Johnson

I was really hoping we get her:brickwall:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Dijonnai Carrington has chosen to grad-transfer to Baylor over UConn and Oregon

12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Isn’t that 3 years in a row they’ve brought in a grad transfer PG? Young PG should take notice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Jacob Johnson

I hate to say it but she will definitely be a problem because she can flat out play. That just took a lot of playing time from someone so her impact could cause a transfer. Baylor does this every year and it's kind of there thing but the way Vic is recruiting Kim would have no other choice but to target transfers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I thought she was a 5'11 wing player who rebounded very well for her size. Don't recall her being a PG.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thought she was a guard - could be a shooting or a combo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

17. Jacob Johnson

When will they begin to accept or deny waivers?

18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm inclined to think that, with the extensions of the recruiting dead period, lots of waivers will be approved for this season.

• Like Like x 2
  19. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Well, first people have to apply for the waivers. I'm sure everyone was waiting to see if the one-time transfer exception would go through for next year.

Once the applications are submitted, the decisions can be handed down anytime between summer and November.

• Like Like x 2
  20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I've heard the current plan is to play football in the Fall without any fans (LHN we love you!). I looked at last year's WBB schedule and they had a 1 exhibition and 5 real games before the Thanksgiving break.

Do you even start a season with the logic that all students don't come back from Thanksgiving break? This would imply that WBB players either don't start the season OR are asked to stay throughout 2019 and into 2020 Spring? Unclear.

21. Jacob Johnson

Yes I think no fans is something that might happen with all sports unless something changes with testing but I doubt it. I guess student athletes for fall sports not going home for break is just something that unfortunately comes with being a student athlete. I heard volleyball is considering doing only conference play & finishing the tournament before Thanksgiving break. Obviously basketball can't do that but if athletes were to have to stay I don't think they will travel outside of the state or might put a pause on the season.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

In a recent interview, Coach Lovato mentioned that the coaching staff continues to monitor the transfer portal; that's good to hear.

But, based on the list I've seen of who is still available (uncommitted to new school), I don't believe there's anyone (at the moment) who would improve our roster, whether it be for 2020-21 or 2021-22. On the other hand, with most schools completing their Spring semester over the last few days, perhaps there will be some new transfer announcements, including some grad-transfers. Like everyone else, would be great to land another post player who could be eligible for the upcoming season.

As far as international players, that's probably pretty difficult right now to be an option; but, there's always a chance. I have not kept up with JUCO's, but I'd assume most if not all have already chosen their college destinations.

I suppose there's also a remote chance that some high school seniors ask to be released from their signed LOIs (perhaps due to the pandemic and deciding they want to attend college closer to home). A few names (from the state of Texas) come to mind in this category, but no post players, unfortunately.

23. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

I suppose as many suspected . . .

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was beginning to think the pool of transfers was done for the off season.

I certainly wouldn't mind adding 6'4 redshirt junior forward Jovana Subasic (Serbia), last year's #3 scorer for Washington State (8.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg) who will be a grad transfer.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Jacob Johnson

I saw it coming:whiteflag:

26. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Izzy just didn’t fit the mold of what Vic and his coaches want. I bet Kyndall Hunter commits now.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Jacob Johnson

That's the same player I was thinking we target.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I really liked how composed Izzy looked whenever she entered a game. Might not be the quickest or most athletic, but I thought she was pretty steady for a true freshman.

My concern had been with her being able to re-enter the US from Australia; in the end, her deciding to transfer still results in her not being on our roster for the coming season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Well shoot. Regardless, I liked Izzy’s game and her demeanor. This is the part of coaching changes I dislike. Hope Izzy lands somewhere great for her. Sure, I ‘ll still be excited when the next guard commits.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Everyone needs their own time to make the decision which is best for them; I am definitely surprised her decision came 2.5 months after Vic's hiring, and with just one month left before players would be reporting to their school's campus.

• Agree Agree x 2