2021-2022 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Apr 3, 2021.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

1. New coaching staff who have never coached in the Big 12
    2. Transfers out: Jordyn Oliver, Hannah Gusters, Chrislyn Carr, Moon Ursin, Trinity Oliver
    3. Graduated: DiDi Richards, DiJonai Carrington
    4. Three transfers in, one true freshman. And they have a total of 9 players on their roster
    5. By minutes played, they return 41% of the team from last year
    6. SeaHag coaching/strategy is at LSU

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well-stated and I share the same sentiments. However, I'm going to go ahead and give Baylor the nod just based on their players' experience, the preseason "rankings," and mostly out of "good sportsmanship..." with the full expectation that my young Longhorns team will have a lot to say about who wins the conference. ;)
    I cannot wait for this season to get underway!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Agree with you based on their full roster but they lost a lot of depth to graduation and Mulkey’s departure. 1-2 injuries and the conference could be wide open.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

IMO none of that changes the fact that they have 2 of the 5 best players in conference. Having 9 players on the roster isn't a big deal in basketball if your starting 5 is good, and when most coaches only play a 7/8 player rotation anyway.

And no matter who the coach is for me Baylor is like Oklahoma in football in terms of the conference. They've dominated the conference and have beaten Texas' brains in for so long that until someone actually beats them they will continue to be the favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Wondering if this snapshot tells a story of who may and/or may not be starting.

7. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

My prediction for the starting lineup is...
    1. Rori Harmon
    2. Joanne Allen-Taylor
    3. Audrey Warren
    4. Aaliyah Moore
    5. Lauren Ebo

My secondary lineup depending on if Vic wants to start small is
    1. Rori Harmon
    2. Joanne Allen-Taylor
    3. Aliyah Matharu
    4. Audrey Warren/Aaliyah Moore
    5. Lauren Ebo

8. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I think Ashley starts over Rori, at least to start the season. I agree with the other positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think he starts a 3 guard line-up with Ashley, Aliyah Matharu, and Joanne as the guards with Deyona and Lauren in the frontcourt.

10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

As balanced as we seem to be I'm not sure it even matters much who starts aside from our seniors. I think this may be it in the beginning...
    1 Matharu
    2 Allen-Taylor
    3 Warren
    4 Gaston or Moore
    5 Ebo
    Doesn't necessarily mean that's who I think will get the most minutes or that the starting lineup will stay that way. Honestly I have no idea other than to say I think most of the new additons will see a lot of playing time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’ve thought about possible starting lineups a lot this off-season and, other than Joanne and Lauren, my lineups change every time I try.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

If we remain healthy, I see 11 players getting some pretty significant playing time. The challenge for Vic will be managing the minutes in a way that doesn't disrupt continuity and flow. With this young bunch, there will likely be some who will help him by committing "cardinal" mistakes like blown defense, turnovers, forgetting plays, foul trouble, etc. The real beauty of this roster is that we will be able to keep people on the floor at all times that can play full throttle without worrying too much about foul trouble. Again, this is assuming we are able to keep a fully healthy roster.

• Agree Agree x 6
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  13. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Don’t sell out on Ashley. She was impressive during the tournament run, especially her defense. She knows and understands Vic’s system and what his expectations are so I would be surprised if she does not start at least early in the season.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

The first thing Vic talks about is usually how great Rori is. Even so, I would like to see Ashley start, assuming she is playing well. She worked hard last year, seemed to give it her all, and has a lot of talent. Hopefully she has been working on being more of an offensive weapon.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I don't think anyone is selling her out. I know I'm certainly not. I expect her to be a big contributor this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

If Ashley ends up in an energy giving, defensive stopper, "sparkplug-off-the-bench" type of role, I am fine with that. I hope she would be too. That is a fantastic type of player any coach loves to have available.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

You guys' starting line-up predictions are certainly stoking the fires! Officially less than a month to go before tip-off. Yip, Yip, Yipeeeee!:yippee:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

No predictions are final....unless the predictor is a fly on Coach Vic's wall.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Speculative indeed.

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Did Matharu ever play PG at MST (under Vic, or under McCray)? I thought she was always playing off the ball.

21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She played both positions in her first two seasons, but I think you're correct in that she mostly played off guard. She is a capable point, but I don't think it's her most natural position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’d put Aliyah in the same boat as Joanne when there was talk of her starting at point before Kyra transferred in last season - probably would do a pretty good job for small stretches but not optimum long term especially if you have Rori and Ashley on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I guessed at Matharu having the ball in her hands to start the season just based on experience.... my speculation could be completely wrong.

24. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

For the first game, I’m going with a starting line-up similar to yours, except I’ll substitute Warren for Matharu.

As the season progresses, the starting 5 will evolve based on productivity but also on who we are playing. Vic is starting to collect pieces of his Swiss army knife he can utilize depending upon our opponent’s strengths and weaknesses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yep. The roster he has assembled has some things that can match up defensively with just about anything except maybe the type of extreme size teams like South Carolina are going to have. Speaking in terms of offense, we've definitely got some scorers at every position now. Of course everything will depend on how quickly the young bunch adapts to the college game at the DI level.

• Agree Agree x 5
  26. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think Texas will struggle matching up with teams like Stanford that have big wing's/guards like Haley Jones. IMO the wing position and having a big versatile guard with losing Celeste are the missing pieces. But as we know they have commitments from players at those needed positions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

If I could weigh in on this convo I think Vic has everything he wants right now if you look at his track record. When he had the team where DD( who is on this staff) and small guards with rebounding four and a big 5 they where defensively nasty and gritty. YESS when he got Morgan, Blair, Jordan, VV, and big T and transfers like Ariel Howard they had more offense so it lost a little luster defensively. a Schafer team is always gonna be close to the top in defense. With that being said my vote is for
    1.Rori
    2.JAT
    3.Audrey
    4.Moore or Garson ( honestly can’t pick a wrong)
    5. Ebo but watch out for the transfer Femme
    She fits those old Miss State team centers
    She runs like a deer, and is our tallest and longest player ...everything he wants in a 5 despite Lauren being brick house
    Also the post whisper (Auburn HC) recruited her so she has something

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Precious ends up at Auburn! Wow Coach Harris (as previously stated “the Post Whisperer“) obviously believes in her and thinks she can be developed!

• Like Like x 4
  29. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Congrats to Precious! It will be interesting to watch her development under the tutelage of Coach Harris.

Although she watched from the sidelines last season, she was always a vocal supporter and cheerleader from the bench. She and Gaston provided much-needed energy and support (and humor) during the games. She seemed well-liked by her teammates and the coaching staff. I hope she finds success at Auburn.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'd bet that if not for Latasha Lattimore coming in, Precious would still be on the roster for the upcoming season with an eye toward the future but any minutes she would've gotten disappeared.

• Agree Agree x 5