2021-2022 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I just hope we are competitive in those games. I’ll be very content if we compete and lose by 10 or less but I’m not putting that into the air because I think this team can compete to win against everyone on our schedule.

Our toughest matchup will be Stanford due to their size and athleticism but what I like most is that we have the players to matchup against anyone in the country without having to worry about a mismatch or drop off in play.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Every time I read something about Vic I love him just a little bit more. As others have said, I really feel great about where this program is, and where it's headed.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jacob Johnson

I’m really excited to see how much Shay has improved. From what I’ve been hearing she looks to be the most developed player and ready to take on a bigger role. I bet she will be the Brock Cunningham of this team. Doing the little things that really don’t show up on the stat sheet but very needed to win at a high level. Shay & Audrey will be the “glue women” of the team.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

A lot of second year players improve mainly in the area of confidence. That could be the case with Shay Holle. I know Vic talked about her making layups, but I think that will fall more on the shoulders of our small guards. I would love to see Shay shoot more 3-pointers; I thought she was great in that area in high school; last season, she was only 3-14 from beyond the arc. Could have sworn she was better than that.

I'm guess Kobe, Shay, and Audrey will split time at small forward; I guess Moore could play some there in a "big" lineup. While Audrey has played inside a lot at Texas, I hope she doesn't have to this year as that is when she picks up most of her fouls trying to guard bigger, taller power forwards. Not sure if Kobe and Shay have the lateral quickness to defend at the shooting guard position; so, their lack of versatility could lead to lack of minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jacob Johnson

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jacob Johnson

• Like Like x 5
  10. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Did you notice the Shay baskets shown in the highlights? Layups on the run. My partner says Shay is like a wide receiver with her exceptional speed to go with her height. Players with her combination of height and speed are going to be few and far between. When Shay can get out on a break, she should be money in the bank. Of course it will be great if she can also get comfortable from the three point line.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'll be surprised if she gets layups on the run against our better opponents, especially if she is playing small forward and will be needed to crash the boards on the defensive end. I know she's listed as a guard on our roster, but because we don't have many small forwards, I think that's where she'll play due to her height.

Obviously, I could be completely wrong. That's just how I see things for the upcoming season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Shay’s a phenomenal athlete and Vic has said she’s the fastest player on the team so seeing her get runout layups is probably something we should all get used to.

• Like Like x 8
  13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I enjoyed all the analysis by you all about the orange-white game. I didn't see Lattimore's name mentioned much. What were your impressions? Does anyone know if she is still impaired by her knee injury?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Latasha looked fine, but it's hard to know if her head is saying she's fine. She appeared fast for a 6'4 frame. She and Femme just didn't do much that was memorable.

She and Femme just have to show Coach in practice that they deserve taking minutes away from Aaliyah, Lauren, Deyona, and Audrey with good defense and rebounding on both ends. Because I don't think Coach gives a hoot how tall you are as long as you play good defense. Not an easy ask for a newcomer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Latasha Lattimore’s upside is unlimited. She was a latecomer and is behind the learning curve, etc. She has exceptional skills and athleticism, can dunk with both hands, and has a nice shooting touch!!! She’s got off the charts potential and a chance to be exceptional.... Give her some time!!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  16. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

On his areas of concern, I think he's talking about rebounding/paint play here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I would add Ashley as a "glue person". Or perhaps a "coach on the floor". She works hard, leads by example and is a coaches' kid. She understands the importance of staying with the plan.

• Like Like x 6
  18. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

If Shay can become Audrey part deux, I would be very gruntled.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jacob Johnson

Do you feel like that will be our biggest weakness to start the year? I also have to ask, outside of Allen-Taylor who are you most excited about or feel will contribute the most?

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  21. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The motivation that Top 25 poll generates. :yes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Leadership - Joanne, Ashley, Audrey
    On the court - Joanne, Rori, Ashley, Deyona
    Would love to see - Femme, Latasha
    Caveat - I have not seen any of them in person, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Can y'all do a check for me? Look at the Longhorn app and see if they messed up your WBB tickets like they did mine. The first couple of games, they have my tickets as GA, when I've had the same season ticket seats for 15+ years. Sorry for the giant size of the picture. I've already emailed the ticket office.
    [​IMG]

28. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Mine too. These two games are different.

Your tickets for New Orleans (11/9) are good for both the men and women games, so obviously they have to be GA. Your tickets for SEMO (11/17) is the annual morning game (11 a.m.) that invites the young screaming meemies from all the elementary schools to attend, so that game is always GA.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Well, I figured the one for the first game with dual men/women in the same day would be GA since they have to allow people who see both games to move around between games. Okay, I understand the screaming kids game is always GA. Then I skipped ahead and picked Jackson State which shows GA. Thus, what I've seen so far:
    1. Oklahoma Baptist (Exhibition) - okay no tickets needed
    2. New Orleans (Dual men and women) - okay GA makes sense
    3. Southeast Missouri - Screaming kids day, okay GA makes sense
    4. Cal State Northridge - My correct seat assignment!
    5. Jackson State - GA, wrong!
    6. Idaho - GA, wrong!

30. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Cal State schools go by the acronym CSU.

Jackson St and Idaho are correctly assigned on mine. Have you placed your tickets in Apple Wallet or Google Pay yet?