2021-2022 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

It’s all a guessing game at this point, but I just don’t see Moore with the quickness to play the 3 spot. Lattimore is far quicker and athletic. Which surprised me a lot. It will be interesting and I think you may see 3 guard lineups at times with Joanne, Mathura and Hunter on the floor at the same time...

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

IMO, Deyona Gaston will exceed expectations and will be a big contributor if she can stay healthy and out of foul trouble.

I’ll also go out on the limb and predict that Shay Holle is going to display vast improvement this season and will get more playing time than expected. (And I’m someone who thought she would portal out of the program.)

However, it’s been proven that I’m more wrong than right so my 2 cents are worth 1 cent even with inflation.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Moo, I like this post. I think you framed it very well. There are a couple of areas that I see a little differently. For point guard, I'm sticking with Ashley. While I could see Rori taking over eventually I think Ashley's experience in Vic's system will have her starting initially. Also, since the first game was a scrimmage against a lesser opponent, I think Vic availed himself of the opportunity to get a lengthy look at his freshmen in a game situation. I think PF will be a battle, as you implied. Deyona was really coming on last year before her injury. Unless Vic is really mad at her, I think she could start. I was not overly impressed with Ebo and agree that Lattimore should start. She was tentative at the beginning of the scrimmage but she "grew" into the game. Now, I think I've motivated myself to go and rewatch that scrimmage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Okay, I'm confused. The official UT game announcement for tomorrow says doors open at 4:30, while ESPN says the game starts at 10:00 a.m. Me thinks ESPN, who's broadcasting the game, is correct.

5. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

I could’ve sworn the original time for the game was posted as 11am and I couldn’t make it, then noticed it was 5pm. I feel like I’m going crazy, but your post makes me think maybe I wasn’t delusional after all :e-face-tears:

6. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Oops, I should have said 11am (I'm on Mountain Time). Didn't mean to add to your delusion! :yikes::lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

The wbb schedule page says 5:30 CT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Back to back women's and men's games.

5:30 tip for the women.
    Approximately 8:00 for the men.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Yes, since the confusion began, ESPN has now changed it's game schedule! They need to get their ducks in a row! :yes:

10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Too busy planning their next Paige Bueckers article.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Vic cannot be short of locker room/bulletin board motivation. On the one hand, I appreciate that expectations aren’t amazing going into the season. It always feels better to positively surprise than to negatively disappoint. That said, I think a few weeks ago, my personal expectations are low and it’s been a wake up call to see so many other programs ranked ahead of us and so little regard for our players. (Then again, we lost two amazing players from last year’s run.)

Ranking the 25 best women's college basketball players heading into 2021-22

No Texas players, even in the “receiving votes category”.

Big 12 Players listed:
    2 Smith, Baylor
    9 Joens, ISU
    RV Gray, Texas Tech
    RV Heard, TCU
    RV Lee, KSU
    RV Oliver, Baylor

I’m hopeful that our team comes out hungry. Individual accolades are not everything and I much prefer the TEAM style. But I hope that Vic can get us on the right path. Last season’s elite eight was a dream. I hope Vic can continue to work his magic!!!

Hook ‘Em Horns!
    Prove all the doubters wrong!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Super excited for this season. It slipped up on me real fast. Just caught up reading this thread. I missed the game last week but I'm leaving work early so I can watch the game 2mrw.

It's going to be a bumpy ride this year just hoping we gel throughout the season and come guns a blazing during big 12 tourny and at the big dance. I'm going to try and enjoy the ride and the process this year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

‘‘Twas the night before the season!!! I’m a nobody but a true fan of Texas and Vic before Texas. I think this team is not getting any hype because the “lack of star power”. We don’t have a house name on our roster. We have what I think is the future. In similarity to what Dawn had at South Carolina about 6 years ago. I’m referring to a good start she got ahold to great recruiting class that had a star in Aja( Rori,Moore,Lattamore, Hunter take ya pick) and built a powerhouse. I’m not going to focus on what we don’t have but what we do. We have blue collar, come to work everyday leaders in JAT, Warren, and Ebo. We have young talent that is next up. So in conclusion we have a TEAM where it will be ANYBODY NIGHT. Be clear NOBODY WANTED TO PLAY US IN AUSTIN OR AT ALL. Trust me the country knows we got some smoke and they don’t want none.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  15. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

Moore baby, Moore!! She looks great! So does Gatson!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I like what Deyona Gaston has to say!

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  17. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I totally dig this woman. She is one of the most confident players with the ball I have seen in quite some time. And she appears to be better put together this year in both mind and body.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

In looking forward to Stanford game, it’s possible it’s closer than some suspect. Although they are defending National Champs, they squeaked by in last two games. I believe they have 12 of their top 13 returning plus freshmen. Just glancing at their roster, they are tall and long and experienced. They have big guards like Haley Jones who is a matchup nightmare.......and we have much smaller guards. Ours are talented; however, young and small. Size DOES matter in basketball. Looking at their first game starters and minutes, not much to glean. It was a blowout and they won’t play as many players if the game is tight. It will be interesting to see if our pressure is a huge factor. I believe they are replacing their point guard so maybe that helps. Moore has to stay out of foul trouble. Harmon and Chevalier have to limit their turnovers compared to game one. It would be nice if Hunter has a few threes. Most of her 7 first game were uncontested. Dare say, Stanford will try to contest her shots now as she is not a surprise. I believe we have to have a decent BTA game to stay in it as their inside appears to be able to negate our frontcourt. I am looking forward to watching how Schaefer plays this game. He has many more options than last year. Fun.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Last year, I felt we tried to slow the opponents down offensively due to our lack of healthy bodies, and offensive sluggishness.

This year, I feel like we have more quality depth and need to be more of a transition team that likes to use up-tempo to get the ball down the court and challenge our quicker players at beating the opponent to the basket.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If I had to come up with hour "quickest" lineup both offensively and defensively, and not give up too much on either side of the court, I'd go with:

PG - Rori
    SG - Matharu (she makes it look effortless, mainly because of her great conditioning)
    SF -- Warren gives ups the best combination of size/skills/quickness
    PF - Lattimore
    PF - tossup between Moore and Gaston

None of our players are "perfect", although a couple come close. Most lack something (conditioning, quickness, height, strength, experience, etc.). I think the challenge all game long will be for Vic to find the right combination of players that complement each other, and collectively make up for individual shortcomings.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

To win or come close, we would have to be shooting a high percentage of shots, and play disruptive defense. I don't remember them real well, but I do remember a lot of height, including tall players who hit the three. They usually have great 3 point shooting, if I remember. Kiana being gone is good. I also remember a few years ago in the playoffs, when they backdoored us to death, which basically beat us. They are so tall, that Lattimore's height could help if she can hold her own down low. Players besides Hunter need to be hitting the three, since they will probably blanket her. It is going to be interesting. I'd like to win, but mainly want to hang with them to prove ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

We've had several good wins over Stanford over the years, but mostly they were a long time ago, in Jody days. We had that great surprise win against them 3 or so years ago on their home court, right after they had upset UConn. They will be riding high, full of confidence, after their championship last year.

• Like Like x 1
  23. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Mooo has some good points. No arguments there. One thing I’ll be watching is Allen-Taylor. I’ve heard/read where she played the most minutes of any D1 college player last year. Or something like that. Two reasons. Schaefer didn’t have many options for resting her last year. Second, Schaefer like what she brings to the game. Without detailing her attributes/deficiencies......I can’t believe she won’t again play huge minutes. She is simply a warrior.....what a competitor. She struggled early last year with her shot but came on later. She will be given first opportunity in tomorrow’s game to score ....primarily from outside. If she can’t, then Hunter will be given the opportunity at some point. Matharu has been impressive and Schaefer appears to have a lot of confidence in her.....so probably will sub in first for A-T. She certainly can score....and plays good D. Hunter appears to be a “microwave” with her quick release, scorer’s mentality, and no conscious to shooting(tremendous confidence). If her D is adequate, she’ll play too. I’ll with much interest watch how Schaefer sees the substitution pattern....and plays it tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

JoeDallas...no .thanks for bringing up the “back door nightmare” game. Aston played pressure/deny defense against them.....and we never made any recognition or adjustments to that. Schaefer obviously plays the pressure/deny game ......but somewhat differently. The staff has had a long time to strategize how to play that. I don’t expect Schaefer to abandon his forever strategy. I do expect focus on back door from the help side. I expect Stanford to have some success with that reaction to deny pressure. I also expect that Schaefer will minimize the damage. Let’s watch that intently.

• Like Like x 1
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Another thing I’m eager to watch and learn from is tonight’s game. Obviously the men/women play defense kinda differently. Beard against Gonzaga will try and slow down the Zag offense with his “no middle” defensive scheme. His Tech teams ran it wonderfully. There are pressure/deny concepts there but I see it more of a strategy to defeat the common pick and roll (pop) men’s offenses and run the offensive players to the baseline and keep out of the center of the court. The baseline is used strongly as a third player to trap the dribbler. Schaefer doesn’t employ that defense but I would think they share thoughts on how to defend tall and long teams like Gonzaga and Stanford. This will be a wonderful test of what does and doesn’t work with this team against the very top teams. Then adjust for the next top games.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

While Aston's team did lose that Sweet 16 game to Stanford, her teams did notch victories at Stanford (a few days after Stanford beat UConn), and then beat #1 Stanford in Austin. So, 2 out of 3 against Stanford is a take all day.

• Agree Agree x 8
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I don't expect them to win this game. I just want to see them try to keep it close. And apply what they learned to help them try to get better throughout the season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  28. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

A couple of interesting games tonight. Tennessee againdt S Florida. And Baylor against New Orlesns. Obvious reasons.

• Like Like x 4
  29. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Baylor at half 40-21. Tennessee won by 3.

30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Vic once again mentioned having trouble getting opponents to come play Texas in Austin based on our aggressive defensive style of play. Obviously, I'd love to see the best teams come to Austin.

But, if that can't happen next season, I sure hope he gets Texas into those holiday tournaments in places like the Bahamas, Mexico, Vegas, etc. I think in those tourneys, you play who you are told to play.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2