2021-2022 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Apr 3, 2021.

1. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

There was a lot more mentioned than just COVID in that post.

There are several reasons for the bleed and COVID is certainly the most recent:

Lack of consistent success combined with the increased number of televised games are probably the two greatest but you can’t overlook that Jody Conradt was wildly popular with fans. When she left many of the fans left with her. If Gail had been successful some of the bleed might have been stopped but not all of it.

We were occasionally still drawing big crowds during Aston’s tenure for big games against teams like Tennessee, UConn and even Baylor but more often than not those huge crowds were treated to a humiliating loss. That’s not really a recipe for repeat business.

Austin’s tremendous growth has caused horrific traffic. Combine that with awful construction making parking unpredictable and it’s easier to just stay at home and watch it on LHN.

Vic hasn’t had a chance to prove himself. You would hope his Elite 8 run would have produced even a little bounce but COVID just added to the list of issues already stated.

Personally, I think the god awful refereeing in the women’s game isn’t helping either.

Consistent wins against high profile teams is probably the only thing that will reverse the current trend. A final four appearance every couple of years couldn’t hurt. Throw in the new arena to that mix as well.

I miss Conradt’s humor, the pre-game festivities, the halftime shows, and the fact that we rarely lost home games…but I don’t know how we’ll ever replace the experience of watching Ann Richards and Barbara Jordon giving the refs hell. Those were the days.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, duh. Obviously, I'm not blaming COVID for any decline in attendance prior to last season. I'm talking about since Vic was hired, as that was your main point that he wouldn't get attendance up like he did at Miss. State and be able to create a true home court advantage.

Last season's attendance was for sure impacted by COVID whether you want to admit it or not; I know several people who chose not to attend sporting events in person even after they lifted fan restrictions. Some are still staying away this season for that reason, although the quality of opponents at home is also a large part.

Prior to Vic, attendance while Karen was in charge seemed to increase steadily as her teams improved, but probably tailed off the last season. So, for you to state it's been a "steady bleed . . . for years" is what's not factual as there appeared to be a steady increase instead of a steady decrease while Aston was in charge.

For those of us who attended games in the late 80's and early 90's under Conradt where average attendance was about 8,000 fans a game, we'll just have to accept that those days might never be replicated at Texas.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Attendance. Covid is affecting attendance. Been a season ticket holder since the late 80’s but will not attend the games without a mandatory mask mandate because too many people do not mask without it. Yes, you can distance yourself, but damn, Omicron is mega-contagious and some of my friends and I just can’t take that chance. I feel badly that I’m not there supporting the women, but it’s just not safe for me. Also, I work at UT, but always have to come home on a weeknight game to take care of my pets, can’t leave them from 8:00AM to 10PM. Getting back to the arena is a royal pain and sometimes when attending games, it is really hard to make myself fight that traffic back to campus when I can sit at home and watch the game. I do think next year - if covid settles down - with the new arena and a good team, attendance will increase.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Well, we'll have a chance to make a statement about that. And, Vic mentioned in the post-game yesterday that the team keeps getting better. Lots of upside with Moore and Latasha and we're seeing glimmers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

We have an extremely tough stretch of games ahead on our schedule:
    • KSU (home) Jan 26th
    • OU (away) Jan 29th
    • BU (away) Feb 4th
    • BU (home) Feb 6th
    • Tech (away) Feb 9th
    • OU (home) Feb 12th
    • Iowa State (home) Feb 16th
    Hopefully Rori’s injury is not serious and she is able to return to the starting lineup on against K State. We need her quickness on the perimeter.

For the upcoming home games, we will have multiple top 15 teams playing in the FEC. I hope those in charge of marketing at Tx Athletics will send out the bat signal to students and fans to come and support the team as we battle some of the best teams in WBB. As fans, we need to turn up the intensity and be more hostile and less hospitable to opposing teams.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

We had seats strapped down with plastic zip ties last year so no **** attendance was down. Thanks for the enlightening insight.

While we agree we have been bleeding fans since the glory days of Jody in the late 80's/early 90's, blips of less ~1,000 seat increases in a venue seating 16k filled with less than 5k doesn't stop a bleed. Aston had 3 years of increases that never exceeded her predecessor. So feel free to credit her with stopping the bleed for a bit, she certainly did nothing to stop the overall hemorrhaging of fans.

Gail's last year 4710
    2012-2013 3888
    2013-2014 3382
    2014-2015 3385
    2015-2016 3700
    2016-2017 3813
    2017-2018 4636
    2018-2019 4035
    2019-2020 3638
    Women's Basketball Attendance

11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

VERY tight B12. Tightest in memory. Coulda, shoulda be #1 if we beat KU at home.

Will be a fun last 6 weeks with 5 two-loss teams. Apologies for the poor format.

Team W-L GB PCT ..W-L ...PCT Home Away STRK
    ISU... 5-2 --- .714 16-3 .842 9-1 4-2 L2
    KSU.. 5-2 --- .714 15-4 .789 11-1 4-3 W2
    OU .. 5-2 --- .714 16-3 .842 9-1 5-1 L1
    UT .. 4-2 0.5 .667 14-3 .824 7-2 6-1 W3
    BU . 3-2 1.0 .600 13-4 .765 8-0 2-3 W3
    KU . 3-3 1.5 .500 12-4 .750 8-2 3-1 W1
    WV . 2-4 2.5 .333 9-7 .563 5-2 2-3 W1
    TCU 2-4 2.5 .333 6-9 .400 5-5 1-3 L1
    TT .. 2-5 3.0 .286 9-9 .500 5-3 1-3 L2
    OSU 1-6 4.0 .143 6-10 .375 3-5 3-3 L4

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  13. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

I may not have the answer for everybody but I can assure you that my wife's and my attendance or lack thereof this year IS due to Covid. We didn't miss games previous to this.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Back in the Top 10 this week. Let's hope we defend that ranking... we've got a tough row to hoe over the next couple of weeks.:hookem:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Vic wants to live in the Top 10. I want to live in the Top 10. Let’s live in the Top 10!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

LET'S! :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I want to live in Hawaii! Here's hoping the Horns have a better shot than I do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

The first Top-16 reveal is at halftime on espn tonight of the South Carolina vs Ole Miss game that starts at 5:00pm

22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Texas a #2 seed 7th overall in the first reveal

Big 12 four teams in Top 16

• Like Like x 4
  23. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Wow! #2 seed. I'm not sure we're ready for this yet. Maybe in a month, but now...?

24. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I miised it by 5 minutes! IF Hornview isn’t pulling our legs……who saw that coming? !!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I think they were humbled (admittedly) by those two conference losses so I’m not worried about their mindset at this point. The next couple weeks will show us a lot more

26. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Baylor and KSU 4 seeds and ISU 3 seed

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Texas currently in Stanford’s region with UCONN a #3 seed to get through first

Committee loves a rematch between Stanford & Texas, Ayoka Lee going against Aliyah Boston again and OF COURSE Baylor and LSU in the same Regional

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  28. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Wouldn't it be awesome to prove, in an elite 8 game, that the early season victory was not a fluke?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well it was such a convincing win it’s really hard for anybody in my opinion to call it a fluke. But I’d be happy if that happened nevertheless

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I knew Creme was FOS with his bracket 4 days ago, especially as it related to Texas. He was in-studio tonight during the reveal on ESPN, and said he was surprised Texas was so much higher (a 2 seed) than he had them seeded (a 5 seed on Sunday, and then a 4 seed as of Tuesday), but then said it was because of our high NET ranking and the committee placing importance on SOS and best wins. Really Charlie, you didn't already know the committee's criteria?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022