2021-2022 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

this would honestly be my dream bracket for Texas. I like our style of play against every one of those teams.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Agree 1000% Moooo. With the additions of Oklahoma and Texas, a centrally located venue for all teams would be Memphis. With it being in Greenville, that's so extreme East Coast for the Gamecocks and Volunteers. Very disappointed at this decision.

I certainly hope SEC will see the benefit of moving the men's and women's tournament to Dallas and OKC to claim Texas and Oklahoma.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

The Arkansas fan base LOVED attending the SWC tournament in Dallas (I’ve lived here since ‘82 and can attest). There will be 4 teams within fairly easy driving distance to Dallas (with several built in rivalries). If they’re going to have it on the East Coast Dallas should be in a four year rotation (or at least Memphis or Little Rock).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

In past seasons, I have seen the SEC tournament in other locations. Strangely, they've held it mainly in some non-metropolitan cities/towns like Duluth, GA; Albany, GA; North Little Rock, AR; Chattanooga, TN; held in Memphis only once.

SEC Women's Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia

Looks like 2026 will be back in Nashville, TN.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

The thought crossed my mind that perhaps the money (and marketing) allocated to a particular sport could be proportional to the income derived from that sport. Trying to figure out why a top 15 team is struggling for attention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Ed O. might have had an ulterior motive or two.

7. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

Agree that one location doesn't expand exposure, but lived in Greenville, SC, in the '90s - Arena is nice, parking much easier than most places, has lots of good restaurants. It is one of the more cosmopolitan cities in the Deep South because of its international business connections, i.e., BMW, Michelin, Hitachi, Bosch operations are there. Pre-pandemic, there were several AA daily direct flights from DFW to GSP, plus easy connections through Charlotte and Atlanta. When I lived there, cable TV broadcast SEC and ACC women's games every Sunday. Clemson is there (actually, 25 miles away) and Clemson beat Duke and Gail 3 times one season to get to the Sweet 16. South Carolina (The Other USC, as they say) won zero SEC games. More proof that sports are cyclical LOL.:popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Definitely not knocking the city. Just believe rotating the location more often is the more fair decision for other programs and their fan bases.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

In looking at how the Big 12 and SEC allocate conference championship events, perhaps there is not that much difference; seems like the Big 12 insists on having the women's tournament in KC ever year.

If I had to predict what's gonna happen -- the SEC will award the women's softball conference championship to Oklahoma City since it has the largest facility in the country and host the Women's College World Series. They'll award Texas the swimming & diving championships, or maybe Track & Field (depending on where our T&F facility ranks compared to other schools); and everything else will stay the same.

10. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

I know nothing about marketing, but regarding attendance I think the emphasis should be more on what the Administration should be doing to support the women's program and less about fans not giving the deserved support. For instance, I've heard Chris Beard talk for two weeks about how people should get out to the last game in the historic Erwin Center. Well, the women will actually be playing the last game in the historic Erwin Center, but he doesn't even mention them. Beard can reach more people in his interviews that Vic can, and that's a message UT can control. Vic's media availability speech came across (to me at least) as critical of the fans and really negative. I understand his frustration, but I'm not sure that's the best way to attract more fans to the sport.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

12. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Wouldn’t be so sure.

OKC hosting softball (and baseball) is definitively possible. But even in the three team Swimming conference, Texas didn’t host this year (though we have before obviously). And we don’t have an indoor track facility.

Tennis would be a good fit here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was actually talking about outdoor T&F; I should have specified.

Hoover, AL gets the men's baseball conference tourney; and, that's the only conference championship in the state of Alabama. I don't see that changing.

As for tennis:

Championships - Men's Tennis (secsports.com)

The SEC Men's Tennis Championship is an on-campus event. It rotates to all 14 schools with future sites set for Georgia (2022), Auburn (2023), Kentucky (2024), LSU (2025), Tennessee (2026), Vanderbilt (2027) and Alabama (2028).

14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am optimistic! Her defense is so underrated, IMO.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

16. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

A little late to the party but hopefully some marketing will happen this week.

• Like Like x 6
  17. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  18. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Texas up to #9 in AP Poll just behind #8 Iowa St and Baylor at #5. OU at #19

• Like Like x 3
  19. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Third time is the charm! A sweep of Kansas State and Oklahoma State will ensure Texas keeps that ranking right on into the post season!:ridingnana:

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  21. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I suppose “no news is good news” regarding Gaston and Warren injuries in TCU game?

• Like Like x 2
  22. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

I hope we don’t get Jackson state again cause......yea. They are a quality team SWAC or nah so many teams narrowly escaping us being one of those teams. 1 I don’t think they are a 15 seed even by the eye test. 2 they are really good and well coached. 3 I don’t even want the whispers of being on the wrong side of history in a 2-15 matchup. Plus had they played 3-4 easier teams the conversation would be different surrounding them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We currently have 3 'ships open for the 2022-23 season; I'm guessing their return could depend on the combination of incoming/outgoing transfers:

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Texas moves up to #7 in the AP Poll, ISU down to #10, Baylor up to #4, OU down to #21, KU received 3 votes

Stanford #2, Tennessee down to #19 and Princeton up to #24 to round out prior opponents

Arizona down to #20

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Wow, #7! I hope it doesn't mess us up. Throughout the year we've been better with a chip on our shoulder. Every dip into single digits has led to... Perhaps we're ready now. I sure hope so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

After those Big 12 Awards, I think we’ve got a chip on our shoulder. I know I do.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

You're not alone... I'm pissed! :soapbox:

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I wasn't really surprised at us not getting a first teamer. We're a true team and lack a superstar. But when you look at who was named to the first team instead of giving us one person, that's where I get steamed. Particularly ISU getting 3 on there. They didn't even win the conference. We trounced them both times.

• Agree Agree x 8
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I also get that we didn't have anyone who performed like a first-teamer consistently. My biggest issue is how the defensive awards were named. That's ******** that undeniably the best defensive team in the conference (probably top five defensive team in the nation and maybe THE BEST on any given night) only had one person mentioned. And Denarski as DPOY??? GTFOH! Rori should have gotten that hands down.

• Agree Agree x 7
  30. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Crème’s latest bracket has #3 Texas vs #14 Jackson St and Nebraska vs Washington St (hello Kamie Ethridge) in Austin

LSU #2 seed with #1 Stanford and #4 Indiana in the Spokane Region

• Like Like x 1