2021-2022 Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by racerx5908, Apr 3, 2021.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Aliyah in the background of the photo of Joanne. This photo was posted in the last hour…

• Like Like x 5
  2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

At the start of the pandemic, CDC had to follow suit with the rest of the athletic departments across the country and trim staff. In my opinion, it was more PR than financial need. The coaches all took a pay cut, but if you read the fine print, most of them would get that back in the back end of their contracts. But along with the pay cuts, many lower level staffers who handle things like updated web pages and social media postings were trimmed. Basically those making $40K or below. You could see the effects of those cuts in some of the sports. For softball, the graphics were significantly simplified for day-to-day games.

But now, there's a hiring binge going on at the University. Recently, it was announced that CDC had hired yet another assistant AD, a woman from Pitt (or was it Penn State). And now more hirings:

This is a long way to say that the stuff we're used to being done right has not been up to par, but is coming back.

• Like Like x 7
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

A pandemic obstacle to team building that Vic has harped on repeatedly seems to be cleared - having the players over and getting to know everyone away from the court/offices. Aliyah is front and center so I assume it’s safe to say it’s just a roster oversight by the web team.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

If you all don't have instagram I strongly recommend you get one even it's just to see wbb. Our assistant coaches and entire staff really do a great job showcasing our team. The team building activities they did yesterday were really hilarious to see. Definitely have some characters on the team:D

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Jacob Johnson

• Like Like x 4
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Had to be Dionnah commenting on his cone placement.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Noticed this in the video the other day but forgot to post - Aaliyah was in line taking reps on the post drill where Coach Vic complimented Femme. I thought Aaliyah’s surgery meant she wouldn’t be able to practice until August?

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As far as non-conference schedule, I'm assuming those games at Stanford and at Arizona which were canceled this past season will be back on the docket for 2021-22.

Hoping Tennessee will be at home this season despite last season's last minute cancellation.

Have a feeling we'll be sent to South Carolina for the Big 12 / SEC Challenge. Or, if South Carolina is not included (only 10 of the 14 SEC teams can participate), could be that we get sent to Kentucky or LSU.

• Like Like x 1
  9. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Wouldn’t mind getting a crack at LSU, on their home court.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Why would you think South Carolina instead of Miss St? I think the temptation to pair Vic's new team against his prior team is going to be too juicy for the organizers to pass it up.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

My thought process involves which SEC teams played their Big 12 opponent on the road last season since Texas played Texas A&M at home. Each team alternates home and away. SC played at ISU last season, and Kentucky played at KSU; so, both teams would be due a home matchup this season. LSU was not included in the challenge last season; but, neither was MSU. So for them, might have to look back at 2019 to determine if they last played at home or on the road.

Baylor played at Arkansas last season; so, they will play at home this season; perhaps they get to host LSU (and Mulkey), and we get sent to MSU.

Typically, they do try to pair up teams that are comparable as to how strong/weak they are expected to be in the upcoming season. If SC is going to participate, we might be the best option for them (since the played at ISU last season, and probably wouldn't be matched up against Baylor since they both played on the road last season). And, we did host SC several years ago in the challenge, I believe.

I just hope they don't send us to Tennessee as part of this challenge since we play them annually already.

2020 SEC/Big 12 Women's Basketball Challenge Matchups

South Carolina @ Iowa State

Kentucky @ Kansas State

Alabama @ Oklahoma State

Texas A&M @ Texas

Tennessee @ West Virginia

Baylor @ Arkansas

Kansas @ Ole Miss

Oklahoma @ Georgia

TCU @ Missouri

Texas Tech @ Vanderbilt

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You put a lot of thought into it, that is for sure. Thanks!

13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

From a Kirk Bohls :)puke:) article today:

6. Year Two. Vic Schaefer is still trying to finish up his schedule for next season, but the second-year Longhorns women’s basketball coach is running into some roadblocks in part because of the defensive system he’s installed. “We have a hard time finding teams that will come to Austin and play against our style of play, especially defensively,” Schaefer said Tuesday. “We’ve got all kinds of road opportunities.” Texas will play at national champion Stanford on ESPN the second game of the year and also at Tennessee and at A&M. … Schaefer filled out his staff with a couple of blockbuster hires in Dayton’s Calamity McEntire and Cal’s April Phillips. He did such a great sales job on Phillips in a three-day pitch that he lured her to UT even after she had taken a job at Arizona after less than a month. He raves about their work ethic and recruiting contacts. “We’ve always been a blue-collar team and a blue-collar staff. It’s important to me when our staff walks in any gym, people know who they are," he said. "These are two young but veteran coaches who have that cachet.”

• Like Like x 5
  15. Jacob Johnson

Stanford the 2nd game of the year:eek: I like the toughness of our opponents so far but would love to get some good teams at the drum. I think attendance this year will be much greater than years past

• Like Like x 1
  16. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Probably only a 30% chance of winning that game on a road in Maples, but it will certainly pay dividends the rest of the season.

17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'd say 30% is being rather generous. Stanford returns every starter and key bench contributor from last season's championship team except starting PG Kiana Williams but I agree about it paying dividends later on. Texas only has 2 players that got more than 3 starts last season (JAT - 31, Audrey - 19).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I had forgotten that back in May, Iowa State announced that it would be playing LSU in the Big 12 / SEC Challenge. Not sure if one of our games at Tennessee or at A&M will be part of the challenge, or if we'll be facing a third SEC team on the road (like MSU, Kentucky, or South Carolina).

WBB: Cyclones to play LSU, Mulkey in Big 12/SEC Challenge

19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

After updating my roster spreadsheet, I came to the conclusion that the only player I would 100% guarantee in the starting 5 for the 1st game of the season is Joanne. I'd put Lauren and Deyona at 85% but I think it's a wild scramble after those 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

What % do you give Audrey Warren?

21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

60%? I know Vic loves her toughness, energy and basketball IQ but, IMO, she'd be great as one of the first players off the bench for those same reasons - it would also probably limit her minutes thereby lowering her risk for injury, specifically concussions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

If Matharu started at Ms State, I fully expect her to be in that starting lineup. I also believe Ebo and Gaston will be in there. The 3 spot is the big question to me...

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Aliyah played in 33 games, starting 2 under Vic and then had 19 games, 6 starts after Vic left. That's why I think it's so hard to project - a lot of variables. In your scenario, is Joanne playing point? I still think she's a SG but I agree the most uncertainty is around the traditional 3 spot.

PG - ??? (Ashley/Rori/Joanne)
    SG - Joanne (Aliyah/Kyndall if Joanne plays PG)
    G/W/SF - ??? (Audrey/Aliyah/Aaliyah/Kobe)
    PF - Deyona
    C - Lauren

• Like Like x 1
  24. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Health permitting, I am guessing that experience will start the season: Lauren, Deyona, Audrey, and Joanne with a “?” at pg. We will probably see changes as the season goes on. I like the idea of Audrey as first off the bench. I will be interested to see if Shay can work her way into the rotation with so much new talent coming on board.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  25. LutherIsMyDog

I'm going with the following line-up for the starters of the first games of the season. IMO, Vic is going to start with the more experienced line-up at the beginning of the season. I also believe that the starting 5 will be in flux as players develop and earn Vic's trust.

PG-Ashley
    SG-Joanne
    G-Aliyah
    PF-Audrey
    C-Ebo

First off the bench, Rori and Deyona (assuming her rehab is on schedule). I'm hopeful that Ebo will be in shape to play extended minutes as a starter and that Aaliyah Moore will be 100% by conference play.

I'm looking forward to seeing a combo of any two of Ashley, Rori and Kendall on the floor at the same time. Their quickness, athleticism and tenacity will give the other team fits.

• Like Like x 4
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Saw some practice video the other day and Deyona seemed to be a full participant - had a very quick first step on a dribble drive past a practice player for an easy layup.

• Like Like x 6
  27. LutherIsMyDog

That's great news. Even though her season was cut short due to injury, she showed flashes of her athleticism and basketball IQ.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Woohoo! Aliyah Matharu is now listed on the roster, #2.

• Like Like x 9
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'll be very surprised if she isn't in that starting lineup.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Between practice and S&C, looks like she’s working out without restriction.

• Like Like x 5