2021-22 Roster

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Horns11, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

2021-22 Men's Basketball Roster - University of Texas Athletics

Some thoughts:
    • No heights/weights yet. Trying to keep it a surprise for matchups I guess
    • Only one player (Tyson) is listed as G/F, or swing
    • No biographies other than the guys who were here last season.
    Here's the "ranking" of the amount I think the guys listed at each position will play (leaving off the walkons):

G
    2 Carr
    1 A Jones
    5 Askew
    3 Ramey
    13 Febres
    20 Tyson

F
    33 Mitchell
    0 Allen
    4 Disu
    32 Bishop
    30 Cunningham

I think Carr/Askew are going to surprise people with their athleticism and handles. It should free up Ramey to not have to be the distributor, which cost us at least 2 games last year. Askew's shooting was an issue for UK last year, but with the freedom to get the ball to guys like Carr and Jones, I bet we'll see his shot selection improve. I'm hoping Febres can be our Sydmill Harris and do nothing except shoot threes and play D.

Our frontcourt is going to kick ***, even if Cunningham loses minutes. I bet we'll see him as the "scrappy" starter who gets quickly subbed for Allen/Bishop. But if we're not using Mitchell and Allen to play a little triangle and get easy kick-outs to the guards, we're doing it wrong. Bishop looked great in his film as well, so I know Beard has a lot of options.

Call me crazy, but if this team doesn't hang out at/near the Top-10 for the entire season, I'd be surprised. This is arguably more scholarship talent than we've had going back to the 2011 team that underachieved. Every one of the transfers proved himself in a couple different ways at major colleges. I think Maurice Evans might be the best D-I transfer we ever had as a "rental," but this whole crop might supplant him in the rankings.

**Sorry for the edit... I said 2008 team instead of 2011 team. The 2008 team made it to the Elite 8. 2011 lost that dumb 5-second call game to Arizona when we probably would have crushed Duke and UConn on our way to the Final 4.**

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good analysis. The talent is there. The experience is there. What Beard needs to do on offense is make it jell into a working team. And on defense, just make it nasty like he consistently did at Tech. We ought to be extremely competitive against everybody else in the country.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He may not lose minutes, as he didn't play that many minutes most of last year. All these star Forwards signing with us frees up Cunningham to play the same sort of role he played for us last year off the bench. It was looking like he would need to carry a lot of the big-man scoring load.

4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This team is going to be awesome, the best. You can go ahead and pencil us in for the Final Four--I have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

I like your confidence Chop.

• Like Like x 1