2021 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Mar 4, 2021.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I like her too... a lot in fact. I don't necessarily agree with everything she says or does (but then again married people don't agree on everything either) but I respect the hell out of what she's done at Baylor -- and in her first stint as a HC. She has been, is, and will always be great for women's basketball.

To meet, sit, and talk with Kim about the sport is only rivaled by the times I've done the same with Coach Conradt, Coach Blair, and Coach DeMoss... Very engaging, down to earth, and appreciative of the fans who support the game regardless of who your team is.

Wishing her the best if she is truly leaving for LSU except if and when it's against us. We'll see...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Loyallonghorn,

This much of your post I agree with:

"I wish things would have worked out with the new administration and new basketball arena because I believe the tide raises all the boats in the Big 12.

If she remains, there's a good chance that Baylor-Texas would become must watch national broadcasts similar to what UCONN had with Notre Dame of recent."

The Big 12 needs more, not fewer, strong programs. I don't know what level of success the new Oklahoma coach can reach. I am optimistic that she can at least make OU a regular tournament team again and a regular on top 25 lists. The best of the rest of the Big 12 seem to have topped out at being sometimes NCAA teams, sometimes WNIT teams. This year, the Big 12 did better than the last few years in getting teams in with seeds giving them a good chance at a sweet sixteen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

That all tides thing didn’t seem to matter with Baylor still winning and recruiting at a high level even when the other teams in the conf aren’t. And I’m sure Baylor fans haven’t been longing for the days when UT was at their height while kicking their teeth in every year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Terrific coach. Terrible loser and sport.
    I’ve said it before - if she is your coach you love her. Winning cures everything.
    LSU is reportedly offering $2.9 million/6 years guaranteed to Mulkey. We’ll see if it’s enough.
    I was looking forward to the Schaefer-Mulkey rivalry. Finally we have a coach that can match her.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I kept waiting for Mulkey to put out something that she was not a candidate for LSU job; hasn't happened. Now this:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

YOLO. If LSU is her dream job, more power to her. I'd be interested in seeing how successful she'll be in the SEC. Nothing to lose for KM! For us, good riddance, her teams have terrorized our Horns for ages!

• Like Like x 1
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Baylor message boards are now saying everything short of officially confirming. Wow... Can't wait to see where all the chips fall once the dust settles.
    :popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Vic Schaefer to Baylor?

<ducks and runs, dodging thrown objects along the way>

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

• Like Like x 1
  10. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Yep. It will be intriguing to see which coaches and players follow her to LSU. I hope that Vic\Texas will actively pursue a couple of missing pieces if they are a good fit for his system. We could get real good real fast with a couple of transfers landing in our lap.

That said, if Kim goes to LSU, I expect that her recruiting efforts will be rabid and intense as she builds a new program. As good as she was at Baylor, the move to LSU will breathe new life into her career. She’ll make a hard sell to her current players and to non-BU players in the portal to come to LSU and be a part of building something special. Although we won’t play LSU in conference play, Kim will always be in our backyard with recruiting. I don’t like her but I respect her tenacity. She makes the game more interesting and exciting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

IF the Sea Hag goes to the SEC, and after a season of experiencing her personal charms, I'll be eagerly looking for quotes from non-LSU message boards. I think she'll be queen of the SEC within 2 years, if not the first. I also think it's their turn to enjoy the Mulkey experience.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

She’ll certainly be competitive, but I don’t see her having any kind of dominance in the SEC like she did in the B12. The reigning Queen and her USC squad aren’t going to just quietly step aside. And with Tennessee and UGA firmly on the road back to prominence it’ll be a heck of a ride.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Dawn is bringing in a ridiculous 2021 class and is not the type of person or coach to dodge a fight.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

The only option for Baylor if Kim leaves is Walz in my opinion. He would minimize the transfers and that hire would trigger Kim. Lol

15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I don't think he would leave Louisville being a native Kentucky guy... but then again I said Mulkey "ain't going nowhere."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

I don’t know what to think anymore!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Katie Faulkner is headed to Washington with Tina Langley.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Dang it. Saw her following a lot of Washington stuff on twitter; figured her going from OSU to Washington would be a step down based on the recent trajectory of each program. Perhaps it's a promotion and/or a salary increase.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Like I said, Washington is great program, better than Oklahoma, and Coach Faulkner's hire validates this even more. Most of you are not in the PNW and could give a rats ***, so not surprised at the coldness on PNW programs.

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

According to the Baylor message board, Mulkey had some recent falling out with the A.D.

Recent tweet:

• Like Like x 2
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  22. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Decision has been made.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Insider (administration) confirmation or overall gut feel?

25. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

There are no actual facts to support that. I respect your opinion, but Faulkner’s decision means nothing in the context of UW vs OU. Coaches choose schools for any number of reasons.

Out MBB team just took a couch from KU, does that mean we start saying Texas is the better job?

• Like Like x 1
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Gut feeling... also some "connected coincidence" on a personal level. But definitely not insider info or confirmation.

• Like Like x 1
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Someone here posted that they thought Kim had a recent falling out with the AD. I'm starting to wonder if this is just Kim's way of showing him whose boss in Waco.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

All kinds of chatter on the Baylor boards.... several different threads. Too much to explain, but here's the link:
    Women's Basketball Forum | SicEm365

29. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

THIS FROM THE BAYLOR BOARD......

Let me begin by saying I am former BU men's BB player, former coach, former Asst. Supt. of large Houston suburban school district. I know Kim well.
    This pissing contest is not a new thing between the two. It all started shortly after Mack arrived. At the first C of C luncheon where the introduce all the area college HCs. Mack was introduced before Kim and Drew and he had his spiel and was asked about the status of the Ferrell Center, build new or renovate, etc. He said decision was on hold because the money was not there. When Kim spoke she immediately jumped on her supporters and supporters of BU basketball and urged them to "dig deep in those hip pockets" and lets get this done. Mack took offense and confronted her. Numerous things have happened between the them since then including Mack trying to cut her budget. She is well liked by at least 4 other HC that I know of. Mack has also riled the feathers of at least 2 other HCs. We have 2 really big egos. Mack--Napolean. Kim--self-made alpha dog. Apparently, there was no resolution for Kim. She was not fired. She is the new HC at LSU. Georgia HC is BU's next HC. Score another one for good 'ole BU admin. and board. I am done.

• Like Like x 3
  30. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well if they get Joni Taylor, they’re getting a really good replacement.

• Agree Agree x 3