2021 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Mar 4, 2021.

1. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

And why it’s been so quiet.

2. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Elena has two twitter profiles. I’m hoping that explains the “missing” UT information.

This is her original twitter account which she has recently returned to, and which has recruiting posts from mid-April.

https://twitter.com/lovato22?s=21

T
    his is her alternate account which she started up when the original was hacked. She’s not posting much here since January.

https://twitter.com/elovato_ut?s=21

• Like Like x 3
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Just throwing a name out there - Kelsey Bone. She could possibly take over the role Ketara Chapel had.

4. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

She doesn't use the newer one anymore. Her original was hacked but got it back. She gone.

5. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I do hope she is not leaving. I have read that her family is in New Mexico and she was happy to get back to Texas to be closer to them. I saw elsewhere that there is an assistant position open at University of New Mexico so perhaps she is looking at that. She does have a pattern of moving around quite a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Is all this speculation about Coach Lovato based on someone misunderstanding that her second twitter account is not her active account?

Her twitter account is lovato22. So, that's the one that counts.

As for Johnnie Harris, she already hired Ketara, Bob Starkey (A&M), and Damitria Buchanan (Kansas); so, her coaching staff is complete. Lovato is not going to Auburn. Honestly, based on the very high salaries Coach Vic secured for his assistants, none would leave for pay increases (unless it involved a promotion).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

But, her twitter account (lovato22) no longer has much Longhorn stuff; neither does her Instagram account. So, that seems to have changed from yesterday (or the day before). Maybe she is leaving.

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That's been sticking in my head as well - unless she leaves for an associate HC job at a Power5 or a HC job at a mid-major+, she'd be taking a pay cut. A significant one at New Mexico: the highest paid assistant last year made $100K, Elena makes $170K at UT. Their head coach salary is $275K.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I just find it surprising that there are so few posts from her or anyone else for that matter. It seems to be taking a long time to fill Johnnie's position. Nothing being said about players coming or going. Just very quiet it seems.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

Well Vic mentioned in one of his interviews that this process has taken at times a few months. He’s been in this position before and doesn’t take the situation lightly. It’s probably been about a month since I remember seeing the video, so hopefully it’s very soon. :e-hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If the check clears the bank. UNM only exists so that Colorado is not the worst run school in the country, but CU may actually be more broke than UNM.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Good for Kim Mulkey.

$2.5 mln for the first year of an 8 year contract, escalating to $3.3 mln in the final year. Thus, averaging $2.8 mln annually. $80K personal travel allowance, $60K sponsorship, $1K vehicle allowance per month.

Lots of incentive based bonuses:
    $25K finish in top-25 OR $30K finish in top-10
    $35K SEC Tournament Championship
    $65K SEC Regular Season Championship
    $28K 1st Round appearance, AND $30K 2nd round, AND $33K sweet 16, AND $38K elite 8, AND $50K final 4, AND $75K national championship game, AND $150K National Championship win ($404K cumulative).
    $10K SEC Coach of the Year
    $15K National Coach of the Year
    $13K Top-10 APR Graduation Rate OR $9K Top-40 APR Graduation Rate

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11eb-9288-879d0890166e/6089a2c200297.pdf.pdf

• Hot Hot x 1
  13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

About what she was getting at Baylor.

• Like Like x 1
  14. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I appreciate the direct and pointed questions these guys asked AD Mack Rhodes. Listening to Rhodes dance around these questions about his relationship with Kim Mulkey, why he thought Kim left, and whether he was surprised Kim left, I can CONCLUDE 100%, all the reports are correct, she left because of their broken relationship and disagreement about the basketball arena.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Texas A&M assistant coach Amy Wright is apparently leaving for a promotion at another "power 5" school. Just sayin' . . .

Coach Wright | TexAgs

• Like Like x 3
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

"working with Texas A&M’s wings, in-bound plays and serving as recruiting coordinator."

Same job duties as Elena.

EDIT: "As a player, Wright started four seasons under Blair at Arkansas from 1999-2002." Vic was Blair's assistant at Arkansas.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Wright was also on the A&M staff with Vic for a year or two. :e-thinking:

• Like Like x 4
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I don't think there was any overlap - if you look at the team photo for Vic's last season at aggy (2011-2012), Vic and Johnnie are there but Johnnie isn't listed as an assistant but Amy Wright (not in the photo) is. Wright was an assistant at ASU that season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, no overlap. Wright was at Arizona State for the 2011-12 season. Vic was named Miss. State's head coach in the Spring of 2012.

21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Almost made the same comment. :)

I remembered Johnnie telling the story about Vic approaching her to join him at MSU when they were coming back from an aggy road game. Made me doubt the assistants listed on the roster and then I took a closer look at the team photo.

• Like Like x 1
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I wondered why I didn't see Johnnie listed... I didn't really look at the photo.
    Aggies.... :smh:

• Like Like x 1
  24. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

If Elena is leaving, Wright makes sense. Because bringing her on as Associate HC would probably be necessary in order to get her to leave Aggie and it may ruffle some internal feathers if he had to pass her up for that tag.

Seems minor, but could feel major at a personal level

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

So, do we think that Elena is leaving with some harsh feelings if this happens?

26. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I would hope not because her and Vic have almost a 10 year relationship. Just one of those things where she see's it as a chance to take on a new challenge. Thats assuming she's even leaving at all

• Like Like x 4
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Interesting point is that typically a coach doesn't remove their association with one school's athletics until they announce a new affiliation. Being that this wasn't done, I've wondered if perhaps Lovato may be taking a break from coaching???

• Like Like x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

More info about the Baylor coaching search, supposedly as of today:

As the search firms and agents continue to push their clients at Baylor, per sources, Mack Rhoades and staff have been in the process of conducting phone interviews. With the preliminary phone interviews completed the in person will begin. Here are the tidbits of information we’ve picked up from outside Baylor.
    TIMELINE
    • Phone interviews with initial targets completed
    • In-Person interviews beginning today
    • SicEm365 has heard from multiple sources the new coach will be named next week and could be named as early as Monday
    CANDIDATES

Joni Taylor
    • The Georgia Lady Bulldog coach has been a name floated from the start and despite Georgia fans thinking she’s never leaving, we all know how this goes. Taylor is interested in the job and Baylor is interested in her. She fits the mold of what Baylor wants and with the right resources behind her she would be expected to keep the Lady Bears at the top of the conference and country.
    Cori Close
    • UCLA fans may pucker up a bit as the head coach for the Bruins is vastly underpaid, outspoken in her faith, and successful on the court. Baylor could double her salary without an issue and she could bring experience to the floor in Waco.
    Megan Duffy
    • Duffy may have started slower out of the gate, but the current Marquette coach has gained some steam as a candidate after Monday. Duffy played at Notre Dame, has been successful on and off the court and understands and appreciates the character needed for the position.
    Scott Rueck
    • Oregon State’s head coach has recruited to his alma mater at an elite level and made huge strides with the program. With more resources and a location more conducive to recruiting he would be expected to compete for national titles soon for the Lady Bears. Rueck plays an inside out game with post players taking the easy shot or hitting a spot up shooter at the three point line. Baylor fans will remember the daggers during the Sweet Sixteen ending runs of the Beavers.
    Sytia Messer
    • Longtime Lady Bear assistant and Arkansas Hall of Fame player Sytia Messer is one name three sources have said will be given an in person interview with the search committee. Messer is a standout recruiter and while some may discount as to her recruiting to Mulkey, sources say Messer also has an incredible eye for talent and relationship building. Her infectious attitude is also a plus on the recruiting trail and in the locker room.
    Bill Brock
    • Another longtime assistant of the Lady Bears will also be given the opportunity to interview for the head position. Brock was rumored to be ready to retire, but there are also rumors swirling of him staying on a new staff to help in the transition, if he is not the best candidate for the lead role.
    ADDITIONAL NOTES
    • The rumors swirling around the AAU circuit have several current head coaches delaying their recruitment of players until the position is named.
      • This would mean the current head coach is being talked to by Baylor OR
      • This could mean the domino effect of Baylor taking a big name coach from another school has the athletic directors at their schools reaching out to other coaches about a possible opening at their school
    • AAU coaches and players are also watching the reaction to the salary (rumored/real) from Baylor as it will show the commitment to the program and women's sports in general
      • If Baylor makes a splash hire in salary, competition for head coaches and salaries will intensify
      • Will a school “Professing love for girl’s sports” be caught in a Catch-22 by their athletes and fans or will they get in a bidding war to keep their successful coach by doubling or tripling his/her salary

• Like Like x 4
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

This sounds like a pretty definitive no.

• Like Like x 6
  30. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

This is a no brainer in my opinion. Sytia all day and leave Bill in his spot. Minimizes transfers and will keep Earl Rooks (AAU) happy. He is the Baylor pipeline.

• Like Like x 1