2021 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Mar 4, 2021.

1. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Well, maybe Lovato isn’t leaving. Maybe she is stepping into Johnnie’s position and the coaching staff is now complete. Don’t really think so but this silence is maddening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

You know, we don't know what goes on a daily basis. i always hate to see players and coaches move on to something else, but it's not always a bad thing for either party. We just need to trust in who we have to give their best at all times.

• Like Like x 3
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I've even wondered if maybe she's moving into some type of administrative role. Oh well, I guess we'll know soon enough.

4. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Just found this podcast with Coach McEntire. Haven’t gotten to listen to the (mc)entire interview as I’m headed out the door but it’s nice to have an opportunity to hear her speak.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for posting - found this yesterday but forgot to post. The same podcast has an episode with Blair Schaefer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. utwheels86

utwheels86 25+ Posts

Excellent podcast and gives some insight into Calamity’s experience. She definitely wants to learn and is willing to grind!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Curiously, Nneka's Twitter and Instagram accounts no longer list UNLV at all. I wouldn't expect Vic to name her associate head coach, a coaching staff doesn't necessarily have to have an associate head coach.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We already have one, DJD

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, her location displays "Austin, TX" . . .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Yes. Completely forgot, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, Nneka "liked" the tweet about Calamity being hired . . .

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

It would be a great hire imo. Nneka has some serious connections in Texas. From high school and AAU coaches and is loved by many across the country. Would be a great recruiter and knows how to coach post players. Also a Texas ex so it makes it that much better. I think it would be best to assemble a young staff who will stay with you for a while instead of going after an already elite coach who may leave for a HC job after one or two seasons.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I hope this is true. She was the first person I mentioned when we learned of Johnnie's departure for Auburn. She's a perfect fit IMO. I like Vic's idea of hiring young, outstanding female coaches. It gives them opportunities to prepare for bigger things later, while also creating longer staff tenure.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  14. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Here's an interview between Nneka and Nancy Walling from a year ago. Even though she is a young coach, Nneka has a special ability to communicate effectively and enthusiastically. She has a charasimatic personality. I can see why she could be a future star in the coaching world.

• Like Like x 8
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Nneka returning was one reason I had hoped Johnnie Harris would be around another year. It was only a matter of time before Johnnie left but I wasn’t sure if Nneka’s one year at UNLV would get her serious consideration after 2 years at UCSB. Nneka quickly became a favorite after I started getting back into Texas WBB post-GG.

• Like Like x 3
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She's one of my all-time favorites. She was a warrior!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Now having seen but this one video of NE, I think she would be an outstanding coach at Texas. If not Texas.....it’s just a matter of time until she gets a P5 coaching job and is successful. She is all the adjectives ya’ll have described. She seems like a perfect fit. Hope it happens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Wow was Nneka impressive in that interview! She sold me that she would be a Great get for Vic and the University! What a salesperson she is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

This a new position? Dom Dillingham is the regular video coordinator.

21. 512HornsUp

512HornsUp 100+ Posts

No idea....

22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Kristen Grant played at aggy when Vic was there and was video coordinator there from 2015-2018. Has been the Director of Media for SMU WBB for the past 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 3
  24. Jacob Johnson

I think it's a solid hire for Baylor. I hope she is able to keep Baylor in national contention. It's good for the Big 12 and will only help Texas.
    Wierd that she left 2 weeks before the wnba season begins.

I assume she will hire her own staff so I hope Vic goes after Bill Brock even though he doesn't seem to hire male coaches. No doubt he can develop post players so I hope Vic takes a go if they don't follow Mulkey to LSU.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  25. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Wonder what this means for Brock and Messer? The early reactions about the hire are mixed on the BU board.

26. Jacob Johnson

Yeah not too many are excited about this hire from the Baylor side. If he doesn't follow Mulkey I hope he gives Texas a look as we need an associate head coach and a coach who works with post players

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

I think it’s a solid hire if she retains Sytia. She has no Texas ties so she needs a solid staff. Guess she could bring in some ex-WNBA players to help.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As long as Baylor didn't hire an elite recriuter like Jeff Walz or Adia Barnes, I'm fine with this hire.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

What's the pulse of the board?

Of the two, who prefers Brock over Nneka?

For me, I'll sacrifice Brock's experience for Nneka's Texas ties and youthful energy.

• Agree Agree x 4
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Vic liked this out on twitter:

• Like Like x 2