2021 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Ugh. With a team that mostly looked like they belonged in D2, at that. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Maybe one of those excellent coaches in the Dakotas or Midwest would be a good match. Fortier at Gonzaga is a hot name but I would expect her to stay on the west coast if she moves.
    Add: Tina Langley at Rice is another popular name. OU fans mentioning Johnnie Harris and Jackson-Durrett if OU goes first time head coach.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  3. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Actually, they were very much on the bubble for the tourney this year and were picked as one of the four alternative teams. They played very good teams very close including Georgia and beating South Dakota. Everything went right for them when they played us.

That said, we absolutely should have won that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Really going to be interesting to see what direction OU goes. Texas surprised me by going BIG. Will OU do the same?

• Like Like x 1
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I would expect Jackson-Durrett to maybe be considered, but I'm hoping our staff stays in tact for at least a few more years.

• Like Like x 4
  6. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Wouldn't be shocked if Wes Moore doesn't give it a try. He's from the DFW area. Also, Cori Close is probably gonna get a look.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Or, everything went wrong for us! :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I just meant watching them move around on the court, they looked more like a really good D2 team, not a major conference D1 team, in terms of athleticism, instincts, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, OU has been paying Sherri a much higher salary ($1.33 million this season) than Texas was paying its women's hoops head coach for the last decade or longer. They also pay their softball head coach twice as much as we pay ours. So, they are not cheap. I doubt they hire an unproven commodity based on how much they were paying Sherri.

Interestingly, almost all their current women's sports head coaches are female (hoops, softball, volleyball, gymnastics, to name a few). So, will be interesting if they change course like we did and hire the best candidate regardless of gender.

• Like Like x 2
  10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Self inflicted

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

When Vic talks about the 3 games he's upset we lost this season which we should have won, that one is at the top of his list, I'm sure.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

No doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Mine too. I wasn’t free to watch it live. I was recording it, but I checked online in the 4th and saw that we were up 12. I couldn’t wait to watch it later. Needless to say, I deleted it and never watched it.

14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

In retrospect it may have been the best thing that happened to us... we seemed to really start improving shortly thereafter. That game may have been the wake-up call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

16. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

And you will know that how? Only if they hire a man?

what man is better than Gasso to coach softball. Previous volleyball coach was male so I guess OU will hire men.

• Like Like x 1
  17. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Now this OU opening is one that scares me re: Harris or Jackson-Durrett. High profile job that will invest in resources to be successful and money to throw around

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I think the biggest question is whether or not they will require HC experience. Sherri was a high school coach when she was hired. It will probably also depend on who is interested. I also think that it might attract some higher-profile names amongst the coaching ranks. This should be interesting.

19. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I bet MSST wish they would of hired Johnnie now. They have a mess on their hands now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yep... fans on their message board are very unhappy.

21. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The irony is Gasso was about to quit OU and move back to California because she didn't feel she was being appreciated and paid fairly. She decided to stick it out one more year while her husband moved back to Cali to start his business and she was going to join him a year later. Bingo, she wins the national championship and gets the pay raise. You have to know the back story.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I'm going to cry:( most likely Auburn

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

If this holds true, I sure hate to see Johnnie go. Not many top associate head coaches stick around forever like Daley has with Geno or Brock has with Mulkey, so this was bound to happen eventually. I'll wish her much success and see who/what is next.

If she's in fact headed to Auburn, they paid the previous coach a $250k base salary with $350k in incentives. Harris currently makes $300k at UT if I'm not mistaken.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

. either of those would be great hires, but I just don’t see either one of them leaving where they are. Will be interesting to see who ends up at OU. I hope it’s not Johnnie Harris......

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I don't know... I did a little digging around and Tina Langley is a native of Jasper, AL and played her collegiate ball at University of West Alabama. While she seems like perhaps the perfect choice to replace Sherri with her proven experience, could she be the one headed to her home state to take over Auburn's program? Is Johnnie Harris going to OU and maybe taking Dionah Jackson Durrett along? Of course this is all just speculation.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

I would be surprised if Jonnie stayed in the Big 12 to coach against Vic...but you never know, I guess!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I hope not... in fact I hope she's not going ANYWHERE!

• Like Like x 5
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Rice finished their season today by winning the WNIT Championship over Ole Miss. If Tina Langley is in fact moving on to one of these P5 openings, then word should be getting out pretty soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. liatris

liatris 25+ Posts

Bravo and best wishes

• Like Like x 3