2021 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Mar 4, 2021.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I wanted her to stay... biggest question is who replaces her?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Walz?

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

:e-thinking:

4. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

It would be interesting.

5. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

If I'm Baylor that would be the only choice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Definitely the first call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Keep in mind that Baylor University is run by the early 60s mens basketball team, and has been for at least four decades.

8. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yep. And even though Baylor is a small private school they do have what Tennessee and other programs that have tried to get him don't have which is a natural recruiting base to recruit to.

9. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

There is 0% chance he even entertains it. Beside Waco being a horrible place to live, you still have to contend with the fact that he’s a Kentucky native who has told better programs “no thanks” as it is rumored that he declined to interview for the Tennessee job

10. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

My guess would be Bill Brock. He’s very popular with the girls and is the X and O’s coach on that team.

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I don't think Mulkey is headed to LSU. In the event she is, lots of coaches out there would be interested if Baylor plans to pay them the same $2.3 million annual salary. I think that salary would definitely catch Walz's eye . . .

12. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I still have to see it to believe it myself.

13. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Word on the street is 6 years 2.9 a year. If that’s true it’s a game changer for WBB.

14. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

I also wonder if Baylor would consider Walz considering his not so good history with Kim after the Griner game.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

If so, that’s a lot of competition in the sec. I guess she wanted another challenge but I would’ve stayed put where it’s easier to win and still get paid top dollar. This also means more competition for recruits in the state of Texas, especially the Houston area.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

If it’s true wouldn’t surprise me to see Baylor match. I think they have a Final Four team. Maybe she wants to build something new.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

They would hire him just to spite Mulkey for being a traitor . . . ;)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Yep...when it comes to pettiness, Mulkey and Baylor were perfect for each other.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

If this happens, then yes about the recruiting competition. Definitely! However... if Baylor can't hire the right replacement they eventually fade I think.

20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I had no idea Vic's hiring scared the sea hag that badly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

None of these social media accounts are what could be called ‘established’ but...

22. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

So, kind of like Texas Football was going to get Nick Saban or Urban Meyer perhaps. Crazy this is happening in WBB. Why on earth would LSU pay $2.9 million a year for 6 years to a women's basketball coach? And I would believe LSU may have offered this. Or is this what Mulkey wanted in order to consider leaving Baylor? What is this type of salary escalation all about?

23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Media attention and egos. I could be wrong, but I still say KM likes winning more than money. Hell, she's made enough money to last her the rest of her life and her kids' and grandkids' as well... and then some. I wouldn't be totally shocked if the rumors came to fruition, but would definitely be very surprised.

Part of me wants her to stay so we can continue to gun for them, making our program stronger and stronger. Then part of me wants her to go to LSU just so I can sit and be entertained watching the fallout after the explosion.
    :popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  24. FarawayFan

FarawayFan 25+ Posts

Well, Baylor has become a measuring stick for Texas, so if she leaves, we will lose that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

She basically got Baylor administration's attention, which was what this was all about.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  26. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

This was all over social media yesterday and she knew it. She could have put it to bed with one tweet that would have taken her about 20 seconds. As always, its all about her instead of the team.

• Agree Agree x 9
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Unlike some on this board, I love Coach Mulkey and Baylor Women's Basketball.

I'm sad to see her leave because she is Baylor Women's Basketball. Prior to Mulkey, Baylor had no success in women's basketball.

I wish things would have worked out with the new administration and new basketball arena because I believe the tide raises all the boats in the Big 12.

If she remains, there's a good chance that Baylor-Texas would become must watch national broadcasts similar to what UCONN had with Notre Dame of recent.

I wish her the best and much success.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

As much as I don’t care for Mulkey, I’d have to admire her for taking on the challenge (this is the SEC after all) of rebuilding a program. She’s pretty much on autopilot at Baylor these days. I’m sure there’s a lot of other factors she would find attractive at LSU besides the money.

But with Vic at the helm in Austin I'd prefer she stay in Waco. I want to watch him take her down a notch. Her sustained success has been good for the Big 12.

If she does leave, for the sake of the conference, let’s hope Baylor doesn’t mirror LA Tech’s demise in prowess when they made the monumentally poor decision not to elevate her to Head Coach when they had the chance. I don’t think that will happen because BU is in a Power 5 conference unlike LA Tech. I just can’t imagine who could replace her and match the success of her program.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1