2021 NCAA tournament

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 14, 2021.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

What should REALLY be addressed is the officiating as a whole. But don't single out and complain about one call that you wanted to be called differently than the rest of the game. Talk about the entire game, and all the fouls that were not called, and I'll bet Baylor's pile would be stacked significantly higher than UConn's.

The referees let way too much go, and that was a huge advantage to Baylor and their physical defense. I saw blocked shots where there was all kinds of body contact, made baskets that should have been and 1's, fouls out on the perimeter that were overlooked, etc., etc... That was all good and fair until one didn't go your way. Sit down.

• Agree Agree x 7
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

IT'S GAMEDAY!!!!!!!

I'm feeling as confident as one could going against South Carolina :hookem::arrow-up:

• Like Like x 7
  3. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I do agree with you all about Kim for the most part. WCBBNUT made a great case summarizing Kim's many faults. She is immature and as poor a sport as I've ever seen in sports. She is a good coach, though, and I don't like Geno much better. He is arrogant and I don't especially don't like the way he badmouths his own players to the press. IMO, that was an egregious no call last night that probably decided the outcome of the game. The press took it up immediately. You may have seen all those tweets from people like Lebron and many WBB players proclaiming it a foul.

Anyway, on to tonight. I think we can play with SC.

• Like Like x 4
  4. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Lot's go Horns! Take it to SC!!

:hookem::hookem::hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  5. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Very impressed with the grit from the longhorns against Maryland. Vic is a class act and Texas is blessed to have him!!

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

FYI - let's give it up for Vic Schaefer (and CDC for hiring Schaefer) for his tournament run. I didn't realize until now that Texas finished 5th in the Big 12 in the regular season this year. Kudos for getting to the Big 12 semi-finals and then making it to the Elite 8. Peaking late in the season is about coaching. Great job Vic!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My hope is that we continue to play well, and then let's see what happens.

• Like Like x 7
  8. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

South Carolina, the top seed in the Hemisfair Region, takes on No. 6 Texas (ESPN, 7 p.m. ET) in a matchup that both coaches know will have a lot of familiarity. They played each other 15 times when Schaefer was coach at Mississippi State, where he took over in 2012-13. Staley has been at South Carolina since 2008-09.

Her Gamecocks were 12-3 in those meetings, including winning the 2017 NCAA championship game and SEC tournament finals in 2016, '17 and '18. Schaefer's victories against Staley came in the regular season.

It's time for Vic to show Dawn that things have changed now that he is in Austin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, to Jody Conradt for advising Del Conte to "go get Vic Schaefer" . . .

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Hot x 1
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I wasn't paying attention to any of the post-game drama after last night's game. This will go well for Mulkey with the national media . . .

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Since I never thought Vic Schaefer was a realistic option one year ago, my hopes and prayers were that we'd hire Arizona's Adia Barnes. One year later, she has UofA in the Final Four for the first time in program history. Congrats to her. Hopefully, she stays at her alma mater even if OU comes after her with a financial offer that will double her salary.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Baylor got robbed and I am here for it. Mmmmm... yummy green and gold Baylor tears. If it had happened to us I would be losing it. But it happened to Baylor. Their fans have every right to lose it. That’s sports. Geno’s response was correct but we all know he would be acting like Kim if it had gone the other way.

I don’t know Vic well enough to predict how he would respond. I hope and pray he has the Conradt class approach. Let the fans go crazy about it but as a coach your job is to make sure your team is ahead by 4 or more at the end of the game because Refs sometimes don’t get it right.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Honestly I would prefer the Big 12 to be overloaded with great coaches and championship caliber teams. A rising tide lifts all ships except the ones with holes.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The one thing I always say about the Big 12 is that all the teams are exceptionally well-coached. The separation comes from the disparity in talent, or at least the depth of it. I have to think that grinding it out against all these well-coached teams with their variety of individual skill levels, styles of play, and coaching schemes prepares you for almost anything you may come up against in March. I'm glad we don't have a bunch of yawners during conference play.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mr Pincher,

I'd like you to meet Mr Schnellenberger and Mr Pellini. Sorry, Dr Osborne refused to be in the same room with me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's one way of looking at it.

I still remember when OU beat us out for Courtney and Ashley Paris; it was a milestone recruiting victory that allowed OU to win Big 12 championships and make Final Fours, and a recruiting loss that basically was the beginning of the end for Jody.

So, I don't want OU to be good. Maybe WVU, OSU, ISU, and KSU can keep OU in the bottom half of the Big 12.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Here is the real story on tournament officiating. The Elite 8 and above is officiated differently than regular season or even earlier tournament games. The games are more physical and the coaches and players know and expect this. Of course, we are getting the cream of the crop of officials so there should be less major errors. However, the officiating is different. I don't think it is an official directive but just a realization from officials that the players need to determine the games........not with the stars sitting on the bench. Anybody think Collier has suddenly quit fouling? I think she got 2 last game. Think about all the hard screens that almost killed some of our guards. The officials saw those plays.......just chose to ignore them. This is not unique to NCAA tournament. It happens at all levels of play when championships are on the line. As an old official in high school and college in the day....it is a real phenomena. So the Baylor last second call was correct in my fair and biased opinion. The defensive players were long and taller and had the ability to make the play. Tall gonna block shorter. Correct call. Listen to Freese talk about how physical the Horns played in our game. They couldnt have played like that without the officials concurrence. I expect tonight's game to be particularly physical with lots of no calls with fans screaming. And I dont expect any of the star players to be sitting on the pine in foul trouble. I for one am going to focus on the play and leave the officiating alone.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I feel like Vic and the Longhorns are playing with house money at this point and I already consider them overachievers. Making the Final Four would blow my mind and it’s amazing to think they are within 40 minutes of achieving it. :bevo:

• Agree Agree x 7
  19. FarawayFan

FarawayFan 25+ Posts

I agree! No matter how tonight's game goes, they had a very good season in Vic's first year, and the NCAA tournament has been fantastic! So proud of this team and coaching staff, so looking forward to the future. THAT BEING SAID, let's go, Horns! The Final Four is in sight!

• Like Like x 5
  20. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

In the majority of those games she had the more talented team, which is obviously the case now. Because of that I think South Carolina wins 75-56.

21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I think SC wins too. But I highly doubt your 19 point margin.

• Like Like x 1
  22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

The LHN is having a GameDay show at 5:30

• Like Like x 3
  23. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

19 points is a HUGE margin. Any word on if Audrey is a go tonight?!!

24. Jacob Johnson

Audrey is good to go for tonight

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Excellent news!

26. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

27. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Overplaying on D and slow afoot to start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Defense has tightened up. Offense needs to wake up.

29. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Don’t have the patience with the offense tonight.

30. Jacob Johnson

We have got to score. This is not the team you want to be down against