2021 NCAA tournament

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 14, 2021.

1. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I did not forget about Brooke, I just want to point out that very few teams win a title with guards who are THAT small. When you get into the post season, most elite coaches look to isolate them and turn them into a liability in the post. I recall Stanford doing that to Brooke in our regular season matchup. Think about how USC targeted Audrey in the block.

In fact the only team I can think of is Tennessee w/ Shannon Bobbitt but that was with all world Candace Parker leading the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Technically, she will be classified as a freshman next season as this past season does not exhaust any eligibility for anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I will say it did work for Vic at mississippi state with Morgan Williams who is smaller than Brooke.

• Like Like x 4
  4. utfannforlife

Morgan was a much better scorer than AC. Depends on what you consider “working out” because they did not when the title which is the goal after all.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Well, if that's the only acceptable definition, then pretty much nothing ever works out for anybody.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Wow! No idea how I managed to pop that, but I have corrected it. Classy from Kyra and from Vic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

South Carolina is a deeper team. That's what will change.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

So pride of Texas. I been waiting on this for year's.
    Vic thanks again for coming to Texas. What this Coaching Staff did in 1 Season usually do not happen in the 1st year. Player's keep your heads up. You did a Outstanding job this year. No one really believed in you. I betcha they do now. All you hear now. Here come Texas. I love it. Don't get me wrong S.C is good. But let's be honest. Texas was tired. You constantly playing 6 player's. That's going to only last so long. S.C goes 11 deep. It's going to be a battle next year for playing time. I see comments about the Point Guard position. I love Ashley. But Harmon going to be a hand full for any team we play. I am so excited for next year.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 3
  9. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Yes. And she's a freshman. I expect her to be a big contributor next year. And I recall vic didn't recruit he

10. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Sorry. Stupid phone. Vic didn't know her. She won him over.

11. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I honestly think we were just tired. All of our shots fell short.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Morgan the senior, or Morgan the freshman?

13. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

Gonna miss Lambert.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

Interesting that Lambert she says she wants to be a coach, but she still wants to play. Hmmmmmmm.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. utfannforlife

Both technically. She averaged just under 10pts a game as a freshman and she didn’t even start if my memory is serving me correctly

16. utfannforlife

I don’t mean to compare the two or slight AC in any way. I literally love the tenacity she brings off the bench and I think there would always be that kind of spot for her on this team if she so decides.

I am simply looking at teams that win the title and the consistent trend is that they usually have size on the perimeter.

17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I read into that as well. :e-thinking:

18. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

UPDATE: KM's comments were made without reference to a previous discussion about covid testing ... sigh. Doesn't she have access to media training so she knows how to avoid these pitfalls? BU and Ken Starr also were terrible at media interaction during the sexual assault discussions. With proper training, executives/coaches can say what they think without causing an uproar .. words matter. "We appreciate everything the NCAA has done to keep us safe, but it would be unfortunate if a random test prevented a player and her team to play in the Final Four."
    Auriemma: Context to Mulkey COVID remarks

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The end of the Stanford-S Carolina game was bananas.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Hopefully Tara finally gets her another championship.

• Like Like x 3
  21. liatris

liatris 25+ Posts

Lots happened there at the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Freaky...

• Like Like x 2
  23. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Great job by Barnes at Arizona. I recall last year was sorta their coming out party when they beat the brakes off of Texas at home.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I forgot about the women’s final four, until all the fireworks started down the street at UofA. A bunch of students also went up on “A” mountain and set off fire works as well. Pretty good show from our deck on the roof.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I guess it turned out pretty good in the semi-finals. I incorrectly had UConn in the championship game with an easy win over the Indiana/Arizona winner. Could not be happier that I was wrong.

Wasn't sure how Stanford would do against SC. Looks like it was a close game that I will watch on replay.

Both SC and UConn are bringing in loaded recruiting classes, and not really losing any seniors. So, they will be even stronger next season; so, have to be glad neither will win it this season.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  26. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Arizona & Stanford about to tip off. Who you got?

27. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

31-24 Stanford at the half.

28. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

That inbound was lame

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I was hoping Stanford would win but they won despite some very unStanford-like play (-15 in turnovers), primarily from their upperclassmen.

30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That was a somewhat sloppy game by both teams, but Stanford got the win, 54-53.

• Agree Agree x 1