2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

So it does sound like TFB's post referencing a new commit was indeed about LJ Johnson

2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Weird as 247 shows only 2 OU insiders and a ND guy saying Wheaton to OU. No Texas CB.

But Drayton reputedly had a long phone call with Wheaton recently. Also mentioned Wheaton and Johnson do not talk to each other and Wheaton does not care if he is taken with anybody else. Previous in Joe Fan's summary of Roach's post. Stay tuned.

3. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Wonder if allowing these players to come back after entering portal or saying they are leaving is hurting recruiting. To me, if you enter the portal or tweet you are laving then you are done. Nothing is more important than culture....

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wheaton reportedly ran a 4.32 forty
    100M: 10.79

LJ Johnson ran a verified 4.42 at The Opening
    100M: 11.24

Also, since its in front of me, recent commit Jaden Alexis
    Laser timed 4.41
    100M: 10.75

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Very slow 100m time for both guys. Just goes to show that preparing for the 100m is less about speed and more about endurance. A 4.42 40 should equal about a 10.79 100 and a 4.32 should be a lot closer to a 10.4 or faster 100m

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They are RBs not Olympic hopefuls. How many Jamaal Charles' have we seen since Jamaal Charles? (or before, for that matter?)
    They both have a good initial burst, but neither apparently has elite long speed

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

BTW, Marquise Goodwin ran a 4.27! at the NFL combine, was an Olympian and had long speed. But he was WR
    I think he also won some big money running against the NFL's fastest at some event in Las Vegas

8. BurntOrangeLH

Eric Metcalfe, Marquise Goodwin and Devin Duvernay are only ones in that room from the offense. Kennedy is interesting because Herman hand timed him 4.4 in the 40 and 10.6 in the 100M. That is moving for a big boy.

Of course Owens came in second in the 100M with a sub 10.4. He is really fast.

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This guy might be the next best in state after Wheaton/Johnson
    Gerry Hamilton just went to his school and he is up to 210
    He is supposed to be looking at USC and Okie St. I am pulling for SC this time

[​IMG]

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Of those, Metcalf qualifies as a RB, I guess you would call him an APB
    Another rare one was Johnny Lam who I think was a wishbone RB in HS
    Those types are not quite unicorns but close
    But most RBs tend to tire ~50 yards from all the extra weight -- Wheaton might be an exception too, his film shows him still pulling away far downfield

• Like Like x 1
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Same HS as Ossai and Tyler Johnson.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BurntOrangeLH

Sneaky fast. Once he gets even with the deep backs, he is mostly gone. A lot of quick guys seem to take too shallow an angle. Nice pass catching also.

No USC on his college short list (247 oversight?), but there is a Satan sighting. 31 Offers including AFA, Vanderbilt, UCLA so he must be doing decently academically. SMU is there also along with USC. Much to like about him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BurntOrangeLH

Duvernay did not play RB, but what little we saw of him indicates he well could have.

I will throw in another who did play RB and WR, Ramonce Taylor. I can't recall his times, but he was quick and fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think anything under 11 is outstanding for a RB. And Johnson’s time is very good—think Emmit Smith.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I often said that Duverney had the power to be an exceptional running back. Probably would not have been a good career move as the career length of a runningback is much shorter than a Wr, but I think he can be exceptional just like Jamal Charles. Actually with his size I'd probably compare him to a Ladanian Tomlinson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

zoom zoom

• Hot Hot x 1
  17. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I'm an ex coach that likes to draw up plays. How do you stop a play, say against two deep safeties, when you have a WR streaking down the sideline and the slot receiver streaking up the middle, both taking the safeties with them and then have WR cutting across the middle about 20 yards downfield. How do you stop that if the QB has time to throw?

18. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

You have a damn good pass rush.

FB is all about balance. Mack's last years, CS and TH all had some great position groups, but sucked somewhere else. I believe that's the #1 reason Mack ultimately failed. TH will to if he doesn't do a better job recruiting the trenches and LB.

Malcolm Brown is the perfect example. Now doing things in the NFL. He got a lot of criticism here, but I was the one that said, no he's pretty good, but he has to play behind the worst OL in Texas history.

19. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

'the one'?

20. BurntOrangeLH

I wonder. TFB this morning:

Good News Might be on the way
    – Super K

Still waiting for some additional confirmation but I am beginning to hear of a real possibility of some excellent recruiting news.

Would be a high profile and unexpected pick-up.

I’ll let you know once I have additional confirmation one way or another. From what I gather it should go down quickly.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Bru McCoy?

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Inside Texas thinks WR Ketron Jackson is now trending away from Texas.

Part of this at least is that coaches are happy with what they are seeing from our receiver room right now, with all the new guys are out there. The idea is that Jackson is good but his skillset would be redundant. Dont want to use an unnecessary schollie.

Also, with the latest rumor on #1 QB Ewers (please let that be true) plus the commit of Phaizon (both 2022s), we probably think we will be in good shape with the other top shelf 2022 WRs

As an example, this is the #1 WR in GA

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

OB's Suchomel also claims he heard something good today

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Like Joe Burrow?
    Anyway, part of it is whether the QB is mobile. But good boundary corners, good slot cover and at least a disruptive rush even if they dont get big sack numbers. Then the ability to score yourself

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

247 says S Andrew Mukuba is talking about a Sept 7 decision

Smells like Clemson

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You will be able to figure out which player in the clip is Myslinski is without an arrow or jersey number

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Malcolm "the Jet" Johnson to Auburn

• poop poop x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Pretty exciting stuff from from Super K (TFB)

If you would’ve asked me earlier this week who I felt leads for LJ Johnson, I would’ve said Texas.

If you would’ve asked me earlier this week who I felt leads for Camar Wheaton, I would’ve said Oklahoma.

I no longer believe that. My sense now is that Texas leads for both.

I don’t know how they’re going to handle this.
    More and more of the top shelf backs (and their parents) are cognizant of the short life (and thus moneymaking opportunity) for RBs in the NFL. So they are more willing yo share carries in college than ever before, even looking for it
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I stumbled upon this pic of Ramonce
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This class is looking like its going to be just short of fantastic thanks only to the triple legacy Brockermeyer family

• Agree Agree x 3