2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Was this Milroe?
    Did anything happen yet?

2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

He flipped. He totally caved to Ewers.
    Not a good look for Jalen.

3. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Speaks volumes

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like Milroe kept the lines to Bama open after his commitment. With Ewers coming in 2022, and with Card and Jackson already here it appears he didn't want to compete and earn the position. Does he believe he has the starting position at Bama sewed up? Just another guy can't take competition and prove he's the best. Probably see him in the transfer portal in a couple of years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, what a chicken-**** primadonna. Don't let the screen door hit ya on the way out. I want guys who believe enough in themselves that they come in to beat out the comp and prove they are the best with no fear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BurntOrangeLH

Chances are good he sits behind the really good 5 Star Bryce Young. But he can practice coat tail surfing with the B Boys.

I think Jalen flips to USC before signing day if he thinks about it and if Jake Garcia goes elsewhere. ASU is a possible dark horse.

7. BurntOrangeLH

He mentions Beck but not Yurcich until later, so maybe .... and Yurcich did offer 3 other QB now pledged elsewhere.

Hey, if 'Bama aligns better with his goals than Texas, then move on for sure. How is that Business school in Tuscaloosa?

8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm pretty sure we won't be taking a QB in this class now, tell me the guy who wants to be sandwiched between Card/JQJ and Ewers?

I would say I hope this doesn't have a negative effect on the rest of the class, but damn, this class is 100% snake bit. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few guys also jump ship now that Milroe is gone.

I'm sad we lost a top prospect at a position that is always going to have attrition. If you an't the guy, then you sit or you go be the guy somewhere else.

If we lost Ewers now we would be completely screwed, lets hope he sticks with Texas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That's probably correct

I dont think signing the #1 overall in the country can ever be a negative, except with this one player

Agree. I like Milroe. I feel a little bad about the whole thing

Ever since Ewers announced, I have been trying to snuff out this little voice saying, "Dont screw this up Herman"

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Loyal to the Soil !!! I am surprised more kids are not like this

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Not sure why he's going from here to Bama, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Guess we let off the recruiting love thinking he was locked in considering his social media love for UT the last year. Meanwhile Alabama is treating him like a king promising him everything.

This is the one problem I have with taking commitments as incoming sophomores or juniors. Its just too much time. I worry about the same thing with Ewers although him in his Longhorn gear at 5 years old makes me think he really wants to be here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Alabama does seem like a weird choice if you are trying to avoid competition

Meanwhile the Brockermeyers seem to be enjoying the hell out of this on twitter
    I would not mind if that whole family entered the portal

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Rumors that we might pursue Baylor commit. We will see

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Suchomel put in a Texas pick for LJ Johnson

• Like Like x 3
  16. BurntOrangeLH

By signing more highly rated recruits? I do not get it. The evaluation and recruiting is improving drastically and the younger ones are outpacing the older ones in development and natural ability. This is Herman's fourth year so his truncated 2017 class (which has evolved really well on the field) is his first class to reach maturity. Next year will be his first full class to get to that stage. I hope he keeps doing what he is doing.

The challenge for Herman is to avoid the bandwagon jumpers and still identify the hungry and highly motivated junkyard dogs. Texas now is a lot different than Houston was or even being a coordinator at aOSU (see Joe Burrow).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BurntOrangeLH

I think this article was extremely prescient as it was written after the Ewers pledge but before Milroe succumbed to Satan's nepenthe. I am still disappointed Milroe did not choose to compete or, at the least, totally reevaluate his opportunities later in the year.

Texas Football: Quarterback outlook after Ehlinger era

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Yup, I guarantee he has no idea what he's rolling into. If he's really that afraid of competing against high talent then wtf. I still think it has more to do with him loving all the Bama attention while we were off recruiting others...or a combination of both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

No one is giving JQJ enough credit, the guy has that it factor, he might not be the passer that Card is, but he is a big strong kid who can be like a Tee Martin, just a winner. Tee followed the legend that was Payton Manning at Tennessee. After Manning failed to win big at Tennessee, most didn't think Tennessee would do much after he was gone, except all they did was win a National title because of Tee. Never sleep on a winner, and JQJ is a winner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. BurntOrangeLH

21. das3603

das3603 250+ Posts

I cant wait to see a healthy whittington on the field

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's easy to get. 2021 is one of the deepest in-state OL recruiting classes in the last 30 years. Just 15 months ago, we were getting errbody. Now?
    How did that happen?

:errbody:

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is what Roach says about the transition from Beck to Yurcich.
    It seemed clear from the outset that Yurcich has a specific skill set in mind at QB and Milroe was not quite it. To me, Milroe seemed like a perfect Herman QB. But there's a new sheriff in town.

The big news of the night is Jalen Milroe’s decommitment. While we never heard anything definite, this was certainly something we were watching since the time Quinn Ewers committed. Milroe always kept the lines of communication open with other schools in his recruitment, and I think the competition around him was only one element of things. Milroe hung in after losing his key recruiter in Tim Beck and facing a ton of turnover in his future offense. I don’t think that he ever felt he was Mike Yurcich’s choice and that was backed up when Yurcich recruited several other quarterbacks after getting here. For better or for worse, Milroe and his family felt the best decision was to move on to Alabama.

For many, there’s a natural reaction to question a kid and criticize them for running from competition. At Alabama, Milroe will follow former No. 1 overall prospect Bryce Young, but the situation isn’t the same as at Texas. Milroe was already behind a two-quarterback class in 2020 with positive buzz around Hudson Card’s performance while on campus and the fantastic skills of Ja’Quinden Jackson. With Ewers committing behind him, I believe he realized that it would become a numbers’ game quick. I have a hard time criticizing quarterbacks for making the best move because it’s a position where ostensibly one person gets to play for their tenure. A redshirt would put two years of separation between Milroe and Young at Alabama.

I've seen a lot of feedback that this will come back to haunt Texas and they shouldn't have let it happen. This is what happens when recruiting at a high level. While Texas certainly valued Milroe, the staff couldn't turn down a commitment from Ewers. Playing at this level is high stakes, and it's not always sunshine and rainbows in the aftermath.

24. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Wish him luck. He was a solid asset for Texas until Beck left. When the new OC offered other QB's, who wouldnt' start looking at options. I wish him well and hope we prosper also. Hookem!!

• Like Like x 3
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

ou Moderator/fanboy Brandon Drumm (ou 247) said he is 50/50 on Camar Wheaton. It sounds like he thinks LJ Johnson will end up at Texas and, if so, he thinks that will land Wheaton at ou. However, he was uncertain if Wheaton was going to make their wienie roast this weekend. Would be good if he skipped that, for everyone's sake

Nahlin thinks its currently 70/30 Texas

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Mitchell is such a drama queen

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Another potential 2021 QB -- HC's son

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Max Olsen has a good article up at The Atlantic about the Texas QB situation, with a Dodge interview (Ewers' coach). It's a great reminder of how we got here
    Ehlinger to Ewers: How far Texas' QB room has come via Tom Herman's blueprint
    Eventhough its a snippet, its still kind of long, so ....
    " .... Nobody was talking about Texas’ quarterback room among that elite company five years ago. To fully appreciate Ewers’ pledge and what it means for Texas’ future at quarterback, remember what that room used to look like. Ewers’ head coach knows better than anybody. Texas was pretty darn desperate at the quarterback position when Dodge was on staff as a young quality control coach in 2013 and 2014.

“It’s a night-and-day difference,” Dodge said. “They’ve done a great job of putting all their energy in that position, because that’s where it starts.”

The Mack Brown era ended with Garrett Gilbert busting, David Ash getting knocked out for the season and Case McCoy somehow leading a run to nine wins. When Charlie Strong took over after 2013, the quarterback situation he and his new staff inherited was troubling. They had Ash, a junior with a concerning history of concussions. They had Tyrone Swoopes, a sophomore who eventually became a tight end in the NFL. They had touted freshman Jerrod Heard, who would later move to receiver. They had walk-ons Trey Holtz and Logan Vinklarek. And they had converted receiver Miles Onyegbule, who tore his ACL in preseason camp.

Ash got hurt on his first hit in Strong’s first game. His college career was over. Swoopes had to be the guy as a sophomore. He wasn’t ready. Heard had to be the guy as a redshirt freshman in 2015. He wasn’t ready. So Shane Buechele had to be the guy as a true freshman in 2016. And he was solid. If Buechele had showed up a year earlier, he might’ve been able to buy Strong more time.

But instead, Herman took over in 2017. Buechele dealt with injuries as a sophomore, so then Ehlinger had to be the guy as a true freshman. He had some big-time moments and some rough ones. Because as Texas learned many times in that four-year stretch, freshmen are gonna freshmen.

The fundamental problem during this entire period: Texas kept changing its offense. Bryan Harsin, Major Applewhite, Shawn Watson (and Joe Wickline!), Jay Norvell, Sterlin Gilbert, Tim Beck and Herman — that’s seven offensive play callers in seven years. Normal quarterback development cannot occur under those conditions. Watson and Swoopes both were benched after 14 games. Buechele and Gilbert only got one season together. You’re never really building anything if you’re always starting over.

“You feel bad for those quarterbacks just in the sense that it’s hard to get in a rhythm when you don’t have the same coordinator year in and year out,” Dodge said. “That’s tough in college football nowadays. It was new quarterback coaches, new play callers, new systems. And the guys I think about like Tyrone and Jerrod, those guys were very talented, young, raw, had great upside. But when you’re that young, you need stability in an offense. You need years and years under a guy. That’s just something those kids never had a chance, never got that opportunity.”

Those young passers were thrown into starting roles too soon and saddled with unfairly high expectations. And they had to be great. Because throughout those lean years, the backups didn’t work out. Connor Brewer, Jalen Overstreet, Kai Locksley and Matthew Merrick didn’t make an impact, and all transferred. Texas tried to bring in USC’s Max Wittek, the rarest graduate transfer of all: one who failed to graduate on time. The staff bet on Zach Gentry, a 6-foot-8 recruit out of New Mexico, but he flipped to Michigan and immediately became a tight end there. They tried to flip Kyler Murray, which proved to be an infamous waste of time.

Herman and Ehlinger finally brought an end to all the desperation and indecision. Picking Ehlinger over Buechele in 2018 was a difficult choice that has seriously paid off. Ehlinger quickly became Texas’ most beloved star since Colt McCoy, an impressive leader who got better every year, playing through injuries and playing his best in big games. When you finally find that quarterback who can be The Guy, it changes your program’s trajectory. And it also buys you so much more time to develop behind him.

“I think Sam was the right guy at the right time for Texas and Coach Herman,” said Dodge, whose father Todd Dodge coached Ehlinger at Austin Westlake. “Just with his athletic ability and how he plays the game, but on top of it with him, it’s his intangibles. He’s an amazing leader on and off the field. Guys follow him. He’s got some crap to him. And that’s what you want in the quarterback position. I think he’s kind of laid the blueprint for what the position of quarterback should be played like at the University of Texas.”

And when you finally get it right with a dude like Ehlinger, you stop hearing the narratives about who you passed on. Maybe Mack Brown can finally forgive this scribe for sending out that one viral tweet about Jameis Winston claiming he always wanted a Texas offer. Brown still gives me grief about it whenever our paths cross. He probably won’t forget it. But he could!

Herman deserves credit, no doubt, and it’s not surprising he pulled off this quarterback room turnaround. At Ohio State, he helped coach up and recruit arguably college football’s most stacked quarterback group of the decade: Braxton Miller, J.T. Barrett, Cardale Jones, Joe Burrow. Since arriving in Austin, he and his coaches and recruiting staffers have made the right evaluations and succeeded in landing their targets. They haven’t chased transfers. And they hadn’t dealt with decommitments until Monday night, when longtime 2021 commit Jalen Milroe responded to Ewers’ pledge by flipping to Alabama. Although that move was a surprise, it does make a lot of sense given just how crowded Texas’ quarterback room is about to get. ....

30. BurntOrangeLH

Mike Roach at 247Sports:

"At Alabama, Milroe will follow former No. 1 overall prospect Bryce Young, but the situation isn’t the same as at Texas. Milroe was already behind a two-quarterback class in 2020 with positive buzz around Hudson Card’s performance while on campus and the fantastic skills of Ja’Quinden Jackson. With Ewers committing behind him, I believe he realized that it would become a numbers’ game quick(ly.)"

True, but I thought Milroe had the moxie and self-confidence to relish the competition. I was wrong about that. The fact he kept flirting with other recruiters and stopped recruiting for Texas is the most telling. I always viewed the other QB that Yurcich offered would be backups anyway.

I think his evaluation of Satan was off in all respects but one - Bryce Young is a much better but smaller QB. But that is Milroe's only way to get on the field. If Milroe was so uncertain of himself, he should have waited and looked around. I would think USC might take him and given him a real education too. Like the B Boys, he will learn little to nothing in the classroom. If he had stayed at Texas and prevailed, Ewers would have had to beat him out. Now he has to pass Young which may prove very difficult as Young is better as a QB presently.

I do wonder what his impression of the business school at 'Bama is, though. :fiestanana:

• Like Like x 1