2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Wonder if we are in on him at all - looks like aggy though...

2. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

LJ Johnson not trending well.

Per Per IT, he is taking a student visit to A&M today and a handful of A&M crystal balls are coming in for him.

• poop poop x 3
  3. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

He has the gaggies, usc and blow u as his top 3. Don't know if we can make this late a run for him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  5. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Appreciate your recruiting posts @cnb - good stuff

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Appreciate it. JF is the king. I'm just tossing in my 2 cents when possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We picked up GT OLB Ray Thornton from LSU. If this is the guy I am thinking, he was Rashann Thornton in 2016. He signed his LOI for LSU but then called (or had his gf call) and wanted to come to Texas instead. But Charlie told him it was too late

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound outside linebacker collected 45 tackles, three sacks, one pass deflection, and one forced fumble during his time in Baton Rouge. The Killeen Shoemaker product was a four-star in the Class of 2016, and had offers from Texas, Cal, Michigan, Kansas, and North Texas. Thornton joins a talented linebacking corps that includes DeMarvion Overshown, Juwan Mitchell, Jaylan Ford, and David Gbenda.

Notebook Evaluation: He showed good burst and ability to get in the backfield in high school. He combines size and speed from the linebacker position that every college program desires. The 5th-year prospect never broke through at Louisiana State despite logging playing time on defense and special teams, but contains the potential to make an impact at the collegiate level. – Justin Wells

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There have been reports LJJohnson was at aggy this weekend doing a student tour, and most of the CBs say aggy now. But Gerry Hamilton has been hinting we sill might get him

• Like Like x 3
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

At WR, I think we have 12 schollie players. It becomes 15 with Schooler, Keithron Lee and walk-on-to-schollie Kai Money.

At Alabama, Sarkisian had only 8 schollies WRs, but he wanted more than that. Still 15 seems a lot. So, will we push attrition at this position? Sark saw Saban do it

Looking ahead, PT looks like it will go to Omeire, Moore, Smith, Whittington, Dixon and Schooler. If this is correct, then the attrition candidates are Estell, Woodard, Washington, Lewis and Harrison (of this group, I probably like Washington the most, I like to think he still has a shot).

Should we do this? We have pretty much avoided it in the past, with only one of two exceptions. But football is a brutal, competitive game, and new coaches like to get their own players in quickly.

How would it work if we did? By pushing the mediocre talent into uncomfortable spots. Take Epps for example. He could be a great TE talent if he were motivated but he clearly is not going to self-motivate. So maybe move him to DE to see how he likes that. Move the other excess WRs into the secondary and special teams. Maybe you get lucky with one of the moves but the reality is that they are not suddenly going to get better at a different position, and so we clear the needed roster space.

Given all the moves Sark has already made for his staff, I think we are watching Texas Football enter a new age. I am not sure all fans have caught up to this idea yet. I see it as the age of we-are-sick-of-losing. But are we willing to go full-Saban like this with regard by using the trapdoor on underperforming scholarship players? We will see.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Stampede on LJJ

LJ Johnson - — .... Texas A&M seemed to be gaining momentum for four-star Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson. Johnson was rumored to take a visit to Texas A&M over the weekend to take an academic tour as a student. Sources in Austin aren’t giving up. I’m told that Stan Drayton and Brandon Harris remain in contact with LJ and his parents and the feedback is still good at this time. A source told me that Johnson was expected to take the same visit to Texas later this week, but those we talk to around Johnson expect him to end up an Aggie. In fact, Nick Harris spoke to several sources over the weekend who were all leaning toward Texas A&M as the pick. We will see how it all works out as a decision is nearing at the end of the month.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Stampede on Wheaton --

Since Alabama will have to replace most of its offensive staff, I checked in with Crimson Tide commit Camar Wheaton. I’m told Texas is trying to re-engage there but approaching things cautiously at the moment. As I mentioned in the past two weeks, there are some voices near Wheaton that are pro-Texas. Not much has changed at this point. Sources I speak with indicate that Wheaton isn’t that anxious to jump back into the recruiting scene, and if he did open it up, Oklahoma finished second for his services in December. Regardless of where things stand, I’m told that the staff is very happy with the signature of Jonathon Brooks and feels they got the guy they wanted there.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ishmael Ibraheem's court date was moved to later in the month
    If it gets resolved consistent with the current path, he should be able to sign in February

• Like Like x 1
  14. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Per IT, the new staff has been in touch with RB Camar Wheaton and there is mutual interest.

Sark/Banks moving to UT and now Charles Huff (Alabama RBs coach) taking the Marshall job has potentially shaken up his recruitment.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Flood started following TJ Storment an OT who been on 5 teams in 4 years
    He has some talent and is supposed to decide in next couple days (maybe TTU)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sark called OL Austin Uke (6'3, 270) who is looking at ou, Pedo St, Georgia Tech, and Stanford

Here are some quotes --
    “Seeing what they did for Bama this year really has me excited for what they’ll do for Texas. Especially with coach Flood having two OL win awards for being the best in college football.”
    “Texas is a phenomenal school with a really good football program. I know a couple playing on that team.”

• Like Like x 3
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The new staff is looking into Lawrence of Tyler Legacy who got better throughout the year
    “I’ve just been working hard, staying ready for when I make my decision. Houston really likes me, but if Texas gets involved, that’s a whole different conversation.”

Here is what Hamilton wrote about him --
    Lawrence, who I met at a satellite camp in Kilgore two years ago, was a young man with a death gripe handshake, that looked you in the eyes. The gangly tight end/OLB always had the frame, he just needed time. Former HC Kurt Traylor once said, “he could be a star with the right development and growth.” Traylor is looking pretty smart today.
    This recruitment won’t last very long if Texas really wants him.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  18. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

OU got him...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

20. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  21. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Suchomel from OrangeBloods reporting that RB LJ Johnson of Cy-Fair should be visiting Texas this week.

It was one of the reasons they had mentioned there was still confidence in Austin, and he says he's close to switching his prediction back to Texas.

LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair, Running Back

• Like Like x 5
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some CBs in for Lawrence to Texas

• Like Like x 4
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From Ian Boyd
    These two plays are from 2019 and feature new Longhorn Darion Dunn isolated 1-on-1 against Tylan Wallace. The first against the dreaded "mills" concept, the second in a 1x3 isolation concept where the Pokes are throwing a fade to Wallace.
    He already looks better than some of the corners the Texans were trotting out at the end of the year

• Like Like x 1
  24. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Joe - any news if the new staff is recruiting Quay Davis?

25. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

CB in for Abiara. Strong offer list

• Like Like x 3
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They always said if we offered, that would be it
    So I guess we will see if they knew what they were talking about
    If they like his play, then he is worth the risk
    These are news days for Texas football

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Hot rumor that Eli Ricks might portal himself
    He was a 5-star 2020 CB who went to LSU
    By coincidence, we are always looking for good corners
    And ....
    and Jeff Banks was his primary recruiter at Alabama
    And ...
    and he was at Mater Dei before he left for IMG, and Sark knows most of the players from that school
    And ...
    (yes, there is another and, and then another)
    and if this is true (it is all unconfirmed for now) then maybe, just maybe, it means he is leaving bc he knows Corey Raymond is leaving LSU
    And ....
    and we could easily create a spot a CB coach
    Thats a lot of ifs and buts, which some might say internet board are made for

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

GT OLB Ray Thornton (although I think Pelini had him inside in his 3-4)

Here was his 2016 cruiting profile

• Like Like x 1
  29. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Lol that's a lot of conditional phrases

• Like Like x 1
  30. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

I'm jumping in on this one. They are not recruiting Davis. Kid has too many issues between the ears.
    There are still some good options out there.