2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

2. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

So looking forward to see what this guy can do.
    And i am not worried about it if he is a threat to Bijan's playing time.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  3. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I'll be shocked if he doesn't play. One of the best high school players I have ever seen, although he did "thicken up" quite a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yep. Hard to keep this kid off tbe field.

5. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

I say stacked is a bit of a stretch but not a huge one.I've decided to refrain from lengthy commentary until after OU. I'll have a little something to say prior to then but Sarkesian deserves every benefit of the doubt. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't consider him a home run hire.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  6. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Is there someone else who would have been a home run hire besides Saban?

7. I_Dont_Exist

Among realistic candidates not really. Still there were others I'd have preferred. I'd have made Matt Campbell say no at least twice. Mario Cristobal and Greg Schiano. A name to keep an eye on in the future is Eli Drinkwiitz at Missouri. I've seen him interviewed on the SEC network many times and he comes across as very impressive. Did a better than expected job on the field as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Cristobal is a bigger cheater than Switzer, and Campbell may be good for a place like ISU, but I've seen no evidence he could handle all the politics and off the field requirements at Texas. Schiano is meh, I don't know if he could be successful recruiting at Texas.

Yes, there were no realistic home run hires, and Herman had to go for his childish antics alone, not to mention all the beat yourself loses to inferior teams. But I still don't know of a better realistic option than Sark, but only time will tell.

9. I_Dont_Exist

I'll not get into the cheating. You've seen no evidence of Campbell being able to.handle that type of situation because he's never been it which also means you've seen no evidence he can't. What have you seen to convince.you Sarkesian can? I've been a fan of Schiano for years so I mentioned him but the truth is he was a non-starter.

10. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

What has Schiano done to make you a fan?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I_Dont_Exist

Took one of the worst programs in college football history and made them legitimate. Great recruiter and motivator. Currently has a verbal from the #3 dual-threat QB in the country.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I can't think of anyone I would rather have as a coach at this moment.
    Has coached at Power 5 level and coached/designed offense at two national championship teams.
    Groomed Heisman winning QBs.
    I'm really glad he decided to continue calling plays.
    Proof will be on the field but I feel better about Sark's hire than any since Mack.
    WATCH: Former Texas stars speak highly of Steve Sarkisian

Edit: Oh yea, coached at the NFL level and I'm sure has some connections there for the players. Can't hurt in recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Eh, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but IMO that list of positives seems pretty thin to qualify for consideration as head football coach at UT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

will sound strange, but I think the fact that he hit rock bottom or close to it and bounced back is a big plus. We have whiffed on the can't miss rising stars that know it all, perhaps someone that got knocked down and got back up again (sorry chumbawamba) might have a different perspective. (check's history, yes.... yes... Nick Saban also got knocked back a peg at the Dolphins. Also didn't realize he was 5'6")

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Are you talking about Sark or Schiano?

16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

When does fall training start?

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Typically 4 weeks before 1st game.

18. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Yes.
    So the time is almost here.!
    I wanted a specific day.
    I am guessing August 5

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Likely next Friday or Saturday

20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I hope the delta variant doesn't mess up the coming season. Its getting bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Ditto, but delta is supposed to peak 2-3 weeks and then fall sharply after that.

22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Remember 15 days to flatten the curve? They'll keep this going as long as we let them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Appears that the rationale behind re-mask for vaccinated is to protect the unvaccinated as the vaccinated still can carry the virus and spread it to the unvaccinated.

Also if you are over 60 (and received the Pfizer or Merdona) better get mentally ready for a "booster" sometime before the end of the year. The crazy thing is the "booster" isn't really a booster, but a third shot. J&J hasn't said what their guidance will be.

24. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The COVID and vaccine issues are complicated and dynamic. Anyone who thinks some undefined "they" is yanking our chain maybe hasn't observed scientific discovery in uncharted territory. It doesn't read like a biology textbook.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  25. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Yep, governments would never yank someone’s chain, or kill a couple hundred million people, or enslave and starve their citizens. They are the “saviors”and capable of making decisions for the entire world. Don’t wear a mask, wear a mask, wear two masks….and ignore the fact that we help fund the Wuhan lab, which is, you know, a government run lab that started this mess.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • poop x 1
  26. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Damn- I stepped into a recruiting board and fell into the West Mall, just like that!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

Is Ewers gonna portal?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

OU is my guess.

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

An even stupider move in light of Williams. Ewers doesn't want competition so as long as Thompson is at Texas, Texas is also out. Sand aggy? Oregon?

30. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Sometimes you have to choose between immediate playing opportunity and opportunity to immediately contend for a national championship. Being part of the group that takes a middling team and lifts them to championship contention is the best experience in sports..but it entails risk that your team may continue to struggle. Many of the best contributors on the Cowboys 90s Super Bowl winners played on the 1-15:team in 1989.