2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

So he wants to out crazy Evans? Maybe why Roach likes LJ better?

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Roach does, but this prediction is not coming from him.

3. BurntOrangeLH

The prediction of a dramatic recruiting odessey? Still, maybe he sees the possibility. Who knows? But Evans is evidently a head case and craves attention. Surely talented, but who has the time to waste on someone who wants to be acknowledged as the most valuable recruit? It's a team sport, not a melodrama.

Precisely why Bijan is such a more valuable recruit with his team first values.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Mike Roach on Foster

I talked to a few folks about 2021 Katy Taylor offensive lineman Bryce Foster while I was in Houston. It seems like this is shaping up to be a three-team race for the coveted guard prospect. Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma were the schools mentioned most to me, and Oregon was a childhood favorite for him. I was told that Foster would prefer to stay closer to home, but it’s not necessarily a deal breaker. Foster has been recruited for quite a while, and I get the sense that he’s tiring of the process. Texas A&M has the natural advantages since Katy is a very pro-Aggie area and his mother went to school there. That said, don’t count out Herb Hand, Hayden Conner, and Jalen Milroe.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

6. BurntOrangeLH

What a bright articulate young man. Little wonder he is such a good recruiter. Great QB coming in ahead of him, but he sure has the moxie.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Really looking forward to seeing the future offense with jqj, milroe, bijan, Jordan, top quality o-linemen and very good receivers.
    I think jqj is the proto type QB that Herman likes.
    BTW I read that our o-line is in the top fifteen this year...not bad

• Like Like x 1
  8. BurntOrangeLH

If JQJ can polish his skills, his athletic ability is unlimited. May not be as fast as VY, but my god, he can do everything else at a very high level physically.

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Need more teammates like Roschon Johnson. He sounds like one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BurntOrangeLH

Evidently JQJ always wanted to go to Texas. If he can catch up to Card's skill level, watch out. But Card will improve also so it might take a couple years with a lot of patience and dedication on his part.

11. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I’m predicting that once we get Bijan and Whittington in the backfield and Sam graduates that Roschon will be the front runner in replacing him.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

13. BurntOrangeLH

Not till he improves his throwing game to Thompson's level. He was way behind this Spring and Fall.

14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I think jqj is the main future

15. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Well if Thompson can throw then he will be the man. But is Card considered the best thrower?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  16. BurntOrangeLH

We will have to wait until he is in camp. Certainly as a high school dual threat, he plays at the highest level. Makes a lot of good choices, can read defenses and can throw accurately.

JQJ biggest disadvantage is he is always the best athlete on the field so he can just outrun them.

17. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

A lot has changed since summer. Plus he was a true freshman and not use to the spend of the game in college where as Thompson had a whole year. No one dreamed that Roschon could run like a RB and actually be very good. He now doesn’t have to be the best passer to play QB, although I think he could be the better passer with more experience. With his ability to run that good, the threat of that will now open up the passing lanes. Plus I’d argue that the passing between him as a true freshman and Thompson isn’t a difference. I promise you that Herman will now view Roschon in a different light at QB now. That’s his type of QB. The possibilities are endless with mis-direction plays with Jordan/Bijan and having Roschon in the backfield at the same time. Teams will no doubt have to be playing with stacked boxes and playing tight at the line of scrimmage that a QB won’t have to be as accurate to hitting open players. VY wasn’t near the passer as Colt McCoy, but look what his running skills did for the passing game. Plus with Bijan and Jordan playing in the backfield would limit Roschons time. He also needs to be a threat and compliment the RBs.

I’m not even mentioning the leadership Roschon has by stepping up and changing positions for the good of the football team. He gives confidence with his teammates and that’s a very important skill that a QB has to have.

18. BurntOrangeLH

Nice theory, but it doesn't jibe with what the coaches think nor what what they saw on the practice field.

19. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Thompson can run, believe me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I think it’s very normal to have a true Freshman that’s not use to the speed of the game and the more complicated defenses to be 3rd or 4th string when coming on campus. I honestly thought Thompson was next in line. But Roschon showed me that he can play football on the big stage of college football. It will come down to how Roschon can read the defenses. That goes for Thompson as well.

With Roschon having game experience now and has shined on the field, it will be an advantage. I know it’s different at the QB position. But if you watch his HS film he has a pretty pass that has a tight spiral. Also seems to be very accurate, specially with his deep passes.

I’m predicting that Roschon as a Jr will beat out Thompson the Sr at QB when Sam is gone. But a lot can happen between now and then.

21. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I see your points but I sure would like to see what Thompson could do in a whole quarter better yet a whole half.

• Like Like x 3
  22. BurntOrangeLH

I do not think there are any QB here or committed that are not able to play on the big stage. Whoever shows best in spring and fall camp will be the back-up to Ehlinger next year just like this year. I do not anticipate that Thompson will regress though as he has advanced considerably from last year.

23. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

yes but we never know how they respond once on the football field. Garrett Gilbert was a 5 star and the National Gatorade Players of the Year. So talented but would skip a bumble screen pass off the turf several feet in front of the player. We just don’t know.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  24. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Might be a bad example, He's been in the NFL for 6 years and was drafted in the 6th round out of SMU. For some reason, couldn't get it together under Mack.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

This is an eternal truth. Players will give their coaches exactly what is required of them. The problem and solution is coaching. Talent is not a problem at the University of Texas, but now it is evident that coaching is.

Mehringer, Wareheim, Orlando are all needing to be replaced. There is a lot of talk now that the biggiest issue with Eagles is Mehringer, and he is also the problem for Smith.

This dude is single handedly taking one of our biggest strengths and turning it into a weakness.

These guys are going to be the death of Herman at Texas.

26. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

But what is the issue with Mehringer? Too tough? Too impersonal? Too what exactly?

27. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Mehringer has alienated all the receivers including the ones he isn't responsible for. Now hearing more receivers might be transferring.

28. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I’m talking about out of HS to college.

huge difference from LT to UT. And then the pressure and expectations at UT. He then went from close to 100,000 fans watching to 10,000 fans from a school that had zero expectations. Also he did great landing a job in the NFL but he has yet to start a game I believe. He’s hardly even seen the field. Not trying to bash him, but I’ve never seen him excel at QB since his LT days.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  29. BurntOrangeLH

This post makes a lot of presumptions with very little connecting facts.

30. BurntOrangeLH

It is a crowded receiver room, but where is all this coming from? No one else seems to know what you know.

And finally, why is this in the 2021 Texas recruiting post? It seems to have little relevance to the actual recruiting class, per se. It seems very misplaced.