2021 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, May 7, 2018.

1. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Not sure about the fan of Herman comment, his son walked on when he could have played elsewhere with a ship...

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We will get an OV from 5-star RB TreVeyon Henderson (Hopewell, VA) at the end of April.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Conner, Foster, D. Jackson, Cody Jackson, and 22' OL Kam Dewberry got the Rivals 5 star challenge invite for later in the year.

Stay til the end

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

247 dropped WR Quay Davis from 18 to 29 in state but Wiltfong is at the Pylon 7on7 in Vegas and said Davis was one of the top performers.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

Is Henderson taking an OV? My understanding is we are the last stop on a swing of the South that includes Alabama, then LSU, then us. Not sure if he will include Clemson and OU or not. My interpretation was each of the three would get one day.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Cooks was the LB MVP at the Rivals camp
    He should get a ratings bump from that as Rivals relies on their own camps more than film

Rivals -- The recruiting process has taken off recently for Cooks, with Alabama and Georgia the most recent programs to join his offer list. It was easy to see why Cooks’ stock is on the rise after his MVP showing on Sunday. Cooks measured 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, with a 77-inch wingspan. His performance was consistently dominant throughout Sunday’s play, showing the closing speed to track down running backs, and the agility to stay with tight ends and backs through their routes. He broke up several plays and even had an interception in one-on-one play.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I read it was supposed to be an OV, is that what you mean?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Justin Wells says we are in great shape with QB Sawyer Robertson. He doesn’t do many interviews

• Like Like x 3
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

More Rivals

Pasadena (Calif.) Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson had a great showing over the weekend playing for the west coast-based Proway team. Johnson was physically impressive in press coverage, which is probably a good reason why Texas is recruiting him. Johnson said that he’s been in contact with Chris Ash and is working on building a relationship with him. Johnson said that he’d like to make it out to Austin, but he’s not quite sure when he will be able to. As of now, this seems like a longshot unless Johnson makes it to campus.
    Johnson’s high school and 7-on-7 teammate Calen Bullock was one of the most physically impressive prospects I saw all weekend. As a safety with great length and instincts, Bullock constantly was able to jump routes and make plays. Bullock sounds a bit more favorable as far as his chances of making it to Austin for a visit, and if he does, I feel Texas could put themselves in a strong position for him. Bullock said he loves Ash’s defensive philosophy and wants to learn more about the team and university.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, because I was hoping an official would be three days rather than one.

He seems like a kid that would fit in Ohio State. Not many 4.0 GPAs floating around Columbus.

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Arroyo is turning into a must get. He looks like the best in-state TE prospect not just for this class but in some time. King looks good to me as well, but Arroyo looks like the clear #1

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

247 currently only lists scheduled OVs to ou (4/17) and Michigan (6/19)
    But maybe its changing as we chat

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wells and Nahlin are positive on Ash as a recruiter

TWO DEVELOPING THEMES-- The discussion with Mukuba got me thinking of a couple other notes regarding recruiting.

Ash could be a stud recruiter: I think Coach Ash is going to be a star recruiter, at least for his position. He's hit the ground running and will have a bunch of prospects visit this spring from out-of-state. When you can get people to visit on their own dime from far away it's a positive early indicator. Jaylin Smith's remarks last week were encouraging, and I like hearing how he was straight up with Mukuba. That resonates with players and buys you time to truly evaluate. There's a time limit on this approach but you cross that bridge when you get there.

Managing numbers: Another theme I was thinking about is, this staff hasn't always done a great job of recruiting secondary targets. This cycle could be the ultimate test, particularly on the offensive line, in the secondary, and at wide receiver. Each position is similar in that they'll take bigger groups and will have to know when to stay on a priority target or push for a player in the tier below. If you manage this poorly, you're taking a tier-3 player in December.

Normally it would be too early in the cycle to be concerned with this, but we saw how they finished the 2020 cycle at receiver and corner, and how they generally finish every class with room remaining.

They have to hit OL, WR, and CB recruiting out of the park. At the same time, one has to be realistic with their chances on individual players. Donovan Jackson isn't likely to flip so if Jonah Miller wants in, what do you do? They're likely to have some hard decisions to make in the coming months. Strong relationships are required to manage it all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some of the current OOS targets

RB Donovan Edwards, West Bloomfield (West Bloomfield, MI)
    RB TreVeyon Henderson, Hopewell (Hopewell, VA)
    WR Troy Stellato, Cardinal Gibbons (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
    OL Jager Burton, Frederick Douglass (Lexington, KY)
    OL Jonah Miller, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ)
    OL Bram Walden, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ)
    CB Jamier Johnson (Pasadena, CA)
    CB Terrion Arnold, John Paul II Catholic (Tallahassee, FL)
    CB Tony Grimes, Princess Anne (Virginia Beach, VA) in Texas in mid-April
    DB Calen Bullock (Pasadena, CA.)
    DB Jantzen Dunn, South Warren (Bowling Green, KY)
    DB Jaylin Smith, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA)
    ATH Denzel Burke, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is Tony Grimes' dad talking about TreVeyon Henderson --

"The best RB in the country hands down. Great young man with great grades! Checks all the boxes you want in a recruit. No sacrificing character for ability; he has it all. He will end up where he is wanted and needed. No recruit talk... No games.. a lot of programs say they want you; but why? Do you want him for all the right reasons or just for your own personal gain. I know that for sure because he and my son Tony have that in common about their recruiting process."

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  19. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

You take Jonah Miller in a microsecond if he accepts his Texas offer. Lots of upside and he is way beyond chopped liver now.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Texas CBs in for OLB Terrence Cooks and TE Landen King

• Like Like x 8
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like we can scratch Latrell McCutchin off the list. He is talking to an ou guy here. I think we offered him about 2 weeks after Alabama did --

"I just don’t like them. A lot of people just think we grew up loving Texas. It’s not really like that out here. In my recruitment—I can’t really speak for anybody else—but I feel like Texas was sleeping on me. I mean I live 20 minutes away from the school, and I had an OU offer, an Alabama offer. I had all these different offers before I even got the UT offer. And I camped up there. I went and visited like five weeks in a row. So with me, UT, they don’t really have a shot with me. Like, that’s dead. They can take their offer back to tell you truth."

His parents dont like us either

• poop poop x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Mike Roach/247 put in some CBs to us for
    Landen King
    Terrence Cooks
    Jonathon Brooks
    Jordon Thomas

But he moved Savion Byrd and Lake McRee from Texas to foggy

• Like Like x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like a born sooner.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

His dad is a big FSU guy. But with the way things work at Alabama he might get squeezed and, if so, ou seems likely

25. BurntOrangeLH

Awwwwww. He not getting enough attention. Good riddance. No Divas, please.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. BurntOrangeLH

OU will love his needy nature. He and Rattler competing for attention sounds like a great locker room for the Boomers.

27. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Another skillful interpretation, you are banging right now

28. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm more worried about Savion Byrd going foggy than missing on some DB. This is the big boy class not whinney little girl class. We need to close the deal with the big boys.

It's time for Herman to win or get out. Enough with excuses, recruits are not going to stand for us going 8-5 again. Nothing short of 11 wins will do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is some Eric Nahlin/Inside Texas as of the moment on the 2021s --

"Guys you should feel good about being in the class:
    Terrence Cooks
    Jonathon Brooks
    Landen King
    Shemar Turner

Guys I could see at Texas when the dust settles:
    Sawyer Robertson
    LJ Johnson (depends on how things go OOS)
    Theodore Knox
    Brockermaii
    Bryce Foster
    Landon Jackson
    Jordon Thomas (if UT misses on Jackson they’ll get Thomas, imo)
    Isaiah Nwokobia (would have him in above group depending on push)

Then there are a lot of guys it’s too early to get a good feel for, especially with an overhauled staff. You might take UT over any other school but still favor the field.
    Someone will ask about Quay Davis. To me you have to recruit like he won’t end up in the class regardless of what happens."​

• Like Like x 2